Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a question for all you guys with a KARS III kit on your car. I had mine put on by Lindsay while I got my new 07 diff a few months ago, and was wondering if yours looks like this. I never noticed this gap before. I was bleeding my brakes with some fresh RBF today, when I noticed it while it was up on the lift. I'm pretty sure this needs to be tightened down, right? :hmm: Also, could this be making my clunk even worse? Here's a few crap pictures below taken by my Voyager.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,005 Posts
I asked this question once before since it wasn't clear to me just how tight, in other words, how much gap there should be. Here's the best photo I've got showing roughly the same thing:

·
Registered
2011 Black Diamond CTS-V
739 Posts
wouldn't you want to put another set of bushings on the bolts between the 2 pieces of metal in order to minimize the additional sound of that thing clanking around under there? or is the KARS supposed to be able to move freely? My mechanical knowledge, or lack thereof, would say that you would want to minimize "play" under there, although i'm probably wrong, lol

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine looks the same way with a huge gap like that. It doesn't seem right though. You'd think it should be flush.

And Randy, I cant find that thread. Are anyone elses different?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
ya i would have expected the bushing to go between the plates
Yep. Those others appear to be done incorrectly. That really sucks, are the techs that stupid that they didn't realize that the bushings usually go between to pieces of metal, not on the outside like washers, my god...

Anyway, here is mine. Either way, my kit still transfers a ton of noise into the cabin. I would guess that the diff whine is increased in volume by 2 times. (twice as loud as before) It is really going to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Those others appear to be done incorrectly. That really sucks, are the techs that stupid that they didn't realize that the bushings usually go between to pieces of metal, not on the outside like washers, my god...

Anyway, here is mine. Either way, my kit still transfers a ton of noise into the cabin. I would guess that the diff whine is increased in volume by 2 times. (twice as loud as before) It is really going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for the information. Pretty surprised the KARS was put on incorrectly down at Lindsay because they are usually great with everything :mad:

·
Registered
2011 Black Diamond CTS-V
739 Posts
tweeter, two words, undercarriage wash :)

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
tweeter, two words, undercarriage wash :)
I know, I'm ashamed. I had to drive home in rain the whole way from Colorado. Just a preview of my R888 review (since you asked for my thoughts on them in another post, I believe)...They are so ridiculously sticky, no sidewall flex (feel like runflats), are really noisy and rough, and they did fine in rain, (misting mostly or light rain) not standing puddled water. I never once felt a hydroplane or any other loose feeling. These tires are crazy.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would have thought it would have been:

Bolt, washer, bushing, plate, bushing, attach.

Why stack the bushings?

Me too. It doesn't make much sense. I'm just second guessing myself because Lindsay put them on and they've never done me wrong. But mistakes also happen. I'm probably going to put a call in to Luke and see what he says about it :confused:

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Also interesting the the response....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also interesting the the response....

What? :hmm:

I know the hot topic right now are new axles, but this kit did a pretty good job of toning down my wheelhop a good bit. So I'd like to figure out if this was installed incorrectly or what. That and I can't justify spending 1500 dollars on these axles at the moment :thehand:

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,005 Posts
Geez, mine could be totally wrong. Doug's "instructions" were a bit lacking in photos/drawings/etc. Why have such long-ass bolts, then?

I've posted up several pics before, and nobody said a thing. Well, I don't feel so bad if Lindsay did it that way, too. Tweeter's install looks like it may indeed be the correct way. (Too bad it's so dirty! :histeric:)

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
From Doug's mouth: There is supposed to be a gap. It goes, bolt, washer, bushing, plate, space, plate, bushing, washer, nut. You need to tighten to bolts and nuts just so to "lock it in place." If you tighten it all the way down, you will change the pinion angle therefore erasing the need/ requirement of the kars kit.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
LOL Randy. I did't say anthing because those bushings had a shoulder on one side so it makes the most logical sense to install them that way... with two bushings (4 total) it's the only thing that makes sense man :)

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
I pry shouldn't stir the pot... but when I was looking at it I though to my self... "Self, why wouldn't you take that KARS pinion bracket and rotate it up to the 2 o'clock position and weld that blasted thing right on to the crade? that wouldn't flex, move, or do anything crazy".... of course that would only apply to people who LIKE to hear the whine of the ring and pinion inside the car at 40-60mph. It would end up being the loudest solution of them all.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Nothing between the plates?
Nope
LIKE to hear the whine of the ring and pinion inside the car at 40-60mph
Get a UUC bushing in addition to KarsIII. I thought it was loud before, wow it hits a whole new decible and note level. I can only imagine what it's like with previous mentioned and Spectre bushings. I'll find out soon enough.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts