Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you who have replaced the non bose spekers with infinty kappa separates and kept the stock amp, how does it sound, is there a big difference, or only a very small difference. I am very intrested in doing this since the kappas are 2 ohm and I would just be able to drop them in.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I read in a review long ago that the Bose amp puts out something like 200Watts RMS total, but it's got 8 speakers to split, and the sub likely gets more than equal share. I don't know anything about the base amp, but anything over 40W or 50W RMS speaker should suffice.

CADV used Infinity Kappa 63.7i in the front and 52.7 in the back. I don't know that anyone has screwed with crossovers, but rumor has it that the Bose amp has internal high and low pass filters.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/doorspeakers/index.html

The stock Bose speakers are rated somewhere around 2 Ohms, but the base ones may be 4 ohms. I'm not sure what effect 2 ohm speakers on the base amp would have (may be too little impedence), but putting speakers with over 92dB SPL would be an improvement in efficiency over the base speakers, alone.

·
Registered
'04 Black CTS
52 Posts
I'm researching Kappas too. I also have the non-Bose stereo. It looks like all of the "how-to's" show the Bose speakers.

Aren't the front speakers 5.25" for the non-Bose model? The 63.7s are too big, right? Wouldn't I need the 50.7? At least that is what Crutchfield says would fit my front doors.

Any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts