Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mt question concerns getting my '95 Seville STS up to 212 degrees to get rid of harmful accumulations in the motor oil.

My car isn't driven very much, but I try to take it on a twenty mile jaunt every week or so to keep everything in good operating condition. My drive consists of a seven mile drive on country two lane (45 mph) a 8 mile ( and back) stretch of six lane limited access highway (at 70 mph). Hard acceleration to red line when entering divided highway. My question concerns the engine temperature during this activity (I always have the temp gage showing went I am doing this bit), the temperature never comes close to 212 degrees, but stays in the range of 200 to 208 degrees. There is one log hill on this route that if I put the car in 3rd range it will just hit 212 degrees when I get to the top of the hill.

My question is are these temperature ranges sufficiently to boil off oil contaminants or do I need a higher temperature?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Turn off the ac(auto setting) and it will prob go up a little more since fans won't be on all the time.
Your routine sounds pretty good to me. I take mine out and do 3-4 standing 1/8 mile shots if I don't take it out during the week, I really beat that dog for 10 minutes. If you're running it 15-20 minutes you're fine.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
You're good with the 190 - 210 temp range. Right on target. This winter the STS is sitting on 196 on the highway and its locked there. 3 different ECT monitors watching. Stuff steams at 190 degrees................

Don't sweat the small stuff .............the engine is supposed to run at 190 - 205 all day.

Me ??? Car exercise run ??? 12 miles to Rt.309 (straight and deserted), a bit of "exercise", onto Little Eagle Road for some twisties, 21 miles at 65 back down Rt.301 to Kent Island. Maybe a hydraulic lunch and some fried oysters, home.

Never goes over 200 degrees - even at 2 miles over ~125.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
212 will burn off the contaminants. Crankcase moisture and gas that was for years, in older cars oil pans, are virtually non existant with a fuel injected car.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Relax, Like Sub & Carnut said, you're just fine.

Turn off the ac(auto setting) and it will prob go up a little more since fans won't be on all the time.
I think the fans are bypassed after about 40 MPH or so anyway.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
212 will burn off the contaminants. Crankcase moisture and gas that was for years, in older cars oil pans, are virtually non existant with a fuel injected car.
A main part of keeping the engine guts clean and "dry" is the PCV system. The old road draft tube that stuck out of the valve cover and putt-putted oil vapor onto the road went away in the 60's - and then the black stripe down the middle of every road in America slowly went away, too.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Kids car has drive by wire throttle. Got code for throttle body. Fix may involve replacing TB. There is a tsb to reroute Pcv hose from TB to intake plenum cuz Pcv gases may be freezing on throttle plate during subzero conditions. It was -18f the other morning. Or clean TB might help. Car has 100k miles now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts