Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mercedes CLS63 AMG S
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! First and foremost Merry Christmas and/or Happy holidays!

Picked up my new 2013 V-Coupt 6MT last week. With this one I'm going to be storing it for the winter... Looking for other winter storage recommendations, but had a question in particular...

Let's say this vehicle is sitting in -25 Celsius (or -13 Fahrenheit) storage. Should I have the block heater plugged in occasionally even though it won't be turned on? Or should I just let the entire thing freeze?

I'm probably going to be turning it on once every 3-4 weeks and moving it ~ 1 foot to make sure I don't get flat spots on the tires, and alternating leaving e-brake on while in nuetral, swapping it every 3-4 weeks leaving e-brake off and leaving it in gear just so nothing seizes...

Looking forward to driving this bad boy next summer! :D

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
I've been storing my Vs (2004 before - 2009 now) for the past 8 winters for 4 or 5 months straight.
Once it goes into storage I never move it or start it. Never had an issue with flat spotted tires. Once you drive it a mile or two, any flat spots smooth out.

The engine will be fine without the block heater activated. My garage is unheated and it can get sub-zero around here.

I detail mine, change the oil, add some StaBil, top off the tank and run it to circulate it through the fuel system and then park it the garage with the parking brake off, battery tender hooked up and car cover on.
Walk away and wait for April, no snow and clean roads.

Never start it for just a few minutes. That builds up condensation that won't get burned off unless you drive it until completely warms up.

And I'm in the group that believes that leaving a vehicle up on blocks/jackstands is detrimental to the suspension & shock seals, if left hanging for weeks or months at a time.

My garage is tight so I've never had an issue with critters wanting to build nests, but that is something to be aware of.

The one problem I struggle with is leaving it alone, if there are a few warm days and the roads are clear.
But then I look at what PA roads (they're paved with salt) have done to my other vehicles and I wait it out until spring.

Eh. . . my V is a frickin' garage queen!

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T
245 Posts
I couldn't have said it better, I use enzeme fuel additive vs Stabil thats the only difference, I have two garage queens, my wifes 99 Vette with 23K miles and my V, both were put away last month and we won't drive them again until the spring rain washes all the salt of the roads here in PA.

I've been storing my Vs (2004 before - 2009 now) for the past 8 winters for 4 or 5 months straight.
Once it goes into storage I never move it or start it. Never had an issue with flat spotted tires. Once you drive it a mile or two, any flat spots smooth out.

The engine will be fine without the block heater activated. My garage is unheated and it can get sub-zero around here.

I detail mine, change the oil, add some StaBil, top off the tank and run it to circulate it through the fuel system and then park it the garage with the parking brake off, battery tender hooked up and car cover on.

Never start it for just a few minutes. That builds up condensation that won't get burned off unless you drive it until completely warms up.

And I'm in the group that believes that leaving a vehicle up on blocks/jackstands is detrimental to the suspension & shock seals, if left hanging for weeks or months at a time.

My garage is tight so I've never had an issue with critters wanting to build nests, but that is something to be aware of.

The one problem I struggle with is leaving it alone, if there are a few warm days and the roads are clear.
But then I look at what PA roads (they're paved with salt) have done to my other vehicles and I wait it out until spring.

·
Registered
1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9
568 Posts
If you put it on jack stands, put them under the control arms so the vehicle weight keeps it's load on the suspension; as stated above don't let the suspension "Hang"

Don't start it, battery tender, detail it, cover it, desecant(sp) pellets in pans inside the car.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 2011 CTS-V
168 Posts

That's what I do as well. I have 4 cars in winter storage - 2 in a heated garage and 2 in unheated garages. The only thing I do differently with the 2 unheated cars is I have a battery tender on them. I hear that a sheet of Tyvek under the car will help with moisture. Was thinking of doing that this winter as it certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
2011 CTS V Black Coupe
43 Posts
I live in Minnesota and I drive mine in the winter..When the roads are clear I drive it, not really concerned about salt I usually don't own it for more than four years and you don't see many vehs rust out like they used to in the 70s..

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
2011 CTS V Coupe Thunder Gray ChromaFlair
67 Posts
Ok guys let me apologize in advance for the dumb questions coming up :bigroll: I'm going to put a tender on my V over the winter also. 1: Does it need to go on the battery in the trunk, or can it be hooked up to the posts under the hood? 2: Also, if it has to be in the trunk are you guys leaving the trunk lid slightly ajar and disconnecting the light/fuse so that isn't on all winter or completely shutting the trunk with the tender cord inside it? I really don't want my weather seal to get a "memory" from the cord being closed against it all winter and then leaking next year. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
368 Posts
The terminals are there for charging...us them for the tender, no problem.

Make sure you buy a high quality tender. Get a nice solid state one.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
I've used both locations and used both the Battery Tender or CTEK charger with satisfactory results.

Currently I have a CTEK 3300 charger hooked up to the battery in the trunk and the small cords feeding out to the charger sitting on the floor where I can eyeball the status lights. I have always closed the trunk lid and have never had an incident where the wires left an indentation in the trunk seal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts