• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my transmission filter on my 88 deville (440T4) and a 1990 cadillac Fleetwood (4T60) i believe. i have the respective acdelco filter and gasket, however my question is this...
:cookoo:
do i just put the gasket on, or should i run RTV gasket stuff on the top and bottom of the pan, like on pan, then put gasket, then rtv on gasket then install back on tranny? or do i just throw the gasket on and bolt it up. never done before though i know the mechanical parts, the stupid gasket stuff always gets me and i want to do it right...
:thepan:
also on the 1990 fleetwood, one of the valvecovers is leaking oil. i have gaskets on the way, do i need RTV on that too? or do i just clean the old crap off really good and put new gasket & bolt back? i KNOW it's a stupid question.... im just confused and need an answer from those who have done before.

:banghead:
thanks for any help!!! as always,
Phil

:highfive:
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
You don't need any RTV on the pan gasket nor do I believe on the valve cover gasket. Just torque them to the proper values with a torque wrench and in the proper sequence.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone else? thanks ranger always appreciated.... any one else's opinion? come on people! more then one person on this forum!!!

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Whoa,

per the FSM on my 1995, there are 4 rubber triangular seals (2 on each side of engine) that MUST be RTV'd in place when replacing the valve cover gaskets (these seals must also be replaced, they are not reusable) or the valve covers will leak oil like all hell. Now, this is on the 1995 4.9, but the 90 has the 4.5 PFI and it should be nearly identical in this regard. Not sure about the 88 (4.1L? or 4.5L TBI?) but it should probably be very close as they all share the same lineage.

Also, on the tranny (4T60[E]) there is a section near the one end I believe that needs some RTV to seal a seam in the aluminum casting where the pan mates up to the housing if memory serves me correctly.

Make SURE you do these (if you have a FSM, read it to be sure where it shows to apply the RTV) or you will have leaks, and I hate to see you spend the time and money to do these gaskets and still have leaks. I've done these gaskets on my car, and while not terribly difficult they are time consuming and having to redo them would be awfully frustrating IMHO.

BTW, it is not neccessary (nor is it reccommended) to apply a bead of RTV around the entire gasket surface, as this makes a "double gasket" and will not seal correctly resulting in...you guessed it...leaks.

KDirk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, it only states RTV on those seals (which i did recieve with valvecover gaskets) so i guess ill see what happens when i just put some there.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation Kingphil. I would have bet money you wouldn't have neede RTV, especially on the trans pan. :eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its cool. one manual states to put rtv around the entire thing, the fsm says use gasket and rtv the lil triangle thingys.

i guess you either ALL rtv, or almost no rtv. i shall see when i do the tranny pan, if i see a seal or seam, ill rtv that area a bit, if not, ill try just the gasket. otherwise ill just rtv the entire dam thing :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts