Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting headers by the end of the summer...

i know i need to get a tune to drive the car once they are installed, lest i risk running into a severe lean situation and thus BOOM!!!

question is for those of you that have gotten headers CAN you drive these cars without tuning them in a DD situation... not long term but if i can't get it tuned for a couple days...can i still get myself to work

second... i was reading stealthV's page ... the camshaft position relearn sounds like a total PITA can you not drive the car... i don't want to incur the costs of towing just to get a stealth V tune... there are a couple decent shops near here that i know tune LSx motors VERY well... but everyone seems to lean towards rick...

fill a 'brutha' in

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
find a stock PCM for sale on ebay, ship it to rick and have him tune it before you get the headers put on that way you can put the PCM in the same day!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
You'll actually be rich, not lean when you install the headers. I drove mine for two weeks before getting Rick to retune it. It threw a code once for "bank 1 and 2, too rich", but I cleared it and it never came back.

As far as the crank relearn, I bought a spare PCM to tune and mine fired right up with the new PCM - even before the crank relearn (which I did to prevent a CEL).

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
I hear and see that StealthV has a solid product. I cannot speak from experience though. I went the Dyno tune route and used local shop F-Body Central. They did a hell of job tuning the car and I would recommend them if you’re seeking a good dyno tune. Damian (Drift-Caddy) is on the boards and can give you more detail on their tunes.

I’ve read about others who’ve installed headers and drove their cars for a short period before tuning so I don’t think that will be much of an issue. Good Luck!

·
26,239 Posts
so tony...

you put the new PCM in ... cranked it over... DROVE it to your dealer and had the CKP done?
I work at my Dealership. We swapped the PCM on a lift, started it up, backed it out and did the CKP. CEL never came on, but my tech said it would if I drove it.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm...i just wanted to be able to do the install myself... oh well sounds like it will save a bunch of headaches if i have lindsay install them...

it would have been so much easier/cheaper to do it myself... but i guess the easy part is out the window if i can't get the car from where i do the install to the dealership without the CKP

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
If Rick tunes it in person, you're probably fine.

If not, get it dyno-tuned (or drive-tune, like Big 3). If these aren't available, then goto Rick's mail order tune.

Do it in that order for ultimate peace of mind/performance.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
then i'll get it dyno tuned... my whole question really is ... will i be able to do the install at my friend's garage drive it to get tuned a week or two later while using it as my DD.

i know i'm not going to be able to do Rick's tune since the car can't be out of service for more than a day... its my commuter for work. So dyno tuning it is.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
then i'll get it dyno tuned... my whole question really is ... will i be able to do the install at my friend's garage drive it to get tuned a week or two later while using it as my DD.

i know i'm not going to be able to do Rick's tune since the car can't be out of service for more than a day... its my commuter for work. So dyno tuning it is.
heavy and Luna are right. Drive sanely, and you'll be just fine. You WILL, however, throw a code ... usually related to low catalytic efficiency on one bank or the other.

Oops! :thepan: I guess I'm assuming you're getting hi-flo cats, too ... anyway, that's what happened to me. As a DD, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1988 Brougham De Ellagance (sold) 2006 CTS-V (still looking)
56 Posts
I work at my Dealership. We swapped the PCM on a lift, started it up, backed it out and did the CKP. CEL never came on, but my tech said it would if I drove it.

sorry neweb What is a CKP? and it prevents a CEL code???:hmm:

still learning the lingo thx

·
26,239 Posts
CKP is a crankshaft position relearn. CEL is an improper acronym for "Check Engine Light"- the proper term is actually MIL (malfunction indicator light).

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
20 Posts
You will be fine if you drive sanely the PCM will adjust fueling as best as it can until you get a tune. You will throw a few codes if youve gotten rid of your rear o2 sensors. And why do you need a CKP relearn if you are keeping the same PCM. Even if you swapped PCMs it wont throw a code for CKP unless you got a BRAND Spanking new PCM. What you will see if you swap PCM's is P0300 (multiple misfires that are actually fake) and this happens more on autos than M6's. FBC/Brett should be able to take care of all your needs as the other shop in Glen Burnie is going down in flames as we speak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts