Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, in my '93 DeVille (4.9) it has an oil life monitor, but while reading in the manaul, it says to get ready to do your next oil change whent he monitor reaches 10% which is about 7500 miles....

....7500 miles? isn't that high?

So my question is, should I pay any attention to the oil life monitor? or just ignor it...... it seems to me like when it was put in, it was setup for high intervals....maybe so it wouldn't cost as much for oil changes?

I ask becuase I will proablly be changing the oil on my car today, it has 80k miles.... and I am undecided if I should switch the synthetic or not, I am trying to read older threads about it, seems like it is a 50/50.... some say it's not worth the money, others say if you want the engine to last into the higher miles, then it is very worth it...

....only experience I have is, my father has always used synthetics in his '88 Fiero Formula (2.8 V6) he bought it with something like 50k miles, and it now has 170k miles, and although lost alittle power due to age, runs very, very well, and oil pressure is always high.

On the other hand, Richie (moms boyfriend) uses regualr oil in both his Caddy and my mothers (he has an '87 my mom has an '89- both Broughams) and both have the Olds 307..... he dson't think it is worth changing the oil every 3k miles, says it just comes up too fast, so he does it every 5k, plus he said it is more easy to keep track by the miles...... he bought his car with 80 or 90k miles, and now has almost 170k miles, runs it every day, and there are no problems at all.... my mothers car was bought around 80k miles too, and now has about 140k miles, besides a few over heats, it has been a good engine too.

So I was just asking, is the oil life meter worth looking at? and I don't want to start a big debate....but do you guys think that switching to synth. on a 4.9 with 80k miles is worth it?

I have heard 2 things about switching to sythn on cars with more miles..... if you have been using regualr oil, and switch to synth. may break down the deposits left by the regualr oil, which can cause clogging.... and synth tends to leak more easy, there are no leaks on my engine right now, so I don't know if it will start leaking with synth.

BTW the temp around here usually is between 20-100 (F) I am probally going to be using the Caddy this winter, but if it is really bad outside, I wouldn't (only would be going to school and work, so if it's bad out, no school and I'll call in and say I can't make it to work)

Sorry for the long post, any help is great though. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Dont waste the money on synth......... It may not be a bad idea to run it in the worst of winter (when its really friggen cold)...... but it shouldnt be a problem if you change it at 3000 anyway.....

Synth does not clean a dirty engine, but it will leave a clean engine cleaner than regular.....

Oil life monitor--- IMO a great way for GMs cars to last a shorter period of time so that you will have to buy new ones sooner, and a way to make it seem like their cars are maintenance free at the same time!!!! Its a good thing to go by, but I wont go past 3500 between changes, and by 3500 miles I am probably getting bored so it will give me something to do.......

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic today, I figured I have heard good things about it, and it's my gift to my car, not like I do it once a month, but I can think of many ways that I spent/wasted the money on other stupid things. I want to see how this goes, and check the level/valve covers once I start driving, and if I don't seen any leaks etc... I'll keep using the synth..... I have first ahdn seen cars that have 170k mile+ that have had synth and regular oil most of it's life.... but I figured what the hell.

in the manaul, it says the oil life monitor will say to change oil soon (when down to 10%) anywhere from 3000-7500miles, it monitors engine rpm, temp, driving conditons etc.. and tells you, plus at any time I can push the buttons and get a % of how good it is, so once i start driving, I will take note with how many mile si put ont the car and what the monitor is at.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Panther, what you said made me think of another question, ie. can the oil-life monitor sense the difference between dead dinosaur oil and syn.? and will it change the length of time required between changes?

Anyway, I have used Mobil 1 and dino oil in all my cars and they are supposed to be interchangeable (it says on the bottle) and I have had no problems. I did stop using it on my 1980 Pontiac a few years ago because it has 245,000 kms and it started to leak a little from the valve covers. When the pcv valve (change yours often!) in my 1991 Mercury froze up and I had to get all 4 new oil seals, well after that I used Mobil 1 and it never leaked, probably because the seals were new. I think that with higher mileage, leaking can be a gamble. Once in a while, get a good flashlight and in a dark area like a garage, etc. take a look around the valve cover gaskets and you will know to continue using synthetic or not if you see any wetness from oil in that area. :banghead2

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The oil life monitor has know way of knowing the type or condition of the oil....... It monitors the factors that cause oil to last longer/shorter..... it wont say change oil soon when it lubriation properties are not suffecient by it having some sort of sensor testing it...... it does it by studying the conditions the engine has been running at to GUESS the condition of the oil........

Thats why (if i had it) i wouldnt use it!! Relying on technology has cost me too many times.......

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
elwesso said:
The oil life monitor has know way of knowing the type or condition of the oil....... It monitors the factors that cause oil to last longer/shorter..... it wont say change oil soon when it lubriation properties are not suffecient by it having some sort of sensor testing it...... it does it by studying the conditions the engine has been running at to GUESS the condition of the oil........

Thats why (if i had it) i wouldnt use it!! Relying on technology has cost me too many times.......
True enough, I monitor the mileage, and do it every 3500 to 4000kms. Thats around 2500miles, I think. I am curious to see what the oil life monitor will say in percentage when I get there.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Depending on how you drove the car.... It could be anywhere from 10% (rec. change time) to 30%.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree to not rely on technology. The best bet is to do like everyone recommends, change your oil and filter at every 3000 miles and you won't go wrong. I have little faith in the current Cadillac "technology".

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If it was something expensive, i may go for it, but an oil change costs like 20 at jiffy lube, Im sure you can spare that every 3000 miles........ Remember, you didnt buy a caddy to wimp out on maintenance...... :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
elwesso said:
If it was something expensive, i may go for it, but an oil change costs like 20 at jiffy lube, Im sure you can spare that every 3000 miles........ Remember, you didnt buy a caddy to wimp out on maintenance...... :)
Jiffy Lube??? Now you're really asking for trouble. I've heard too many first hand horror stories about them, from not tightening oil pan plugs, not refilling with oil, putting the wrong oil in transmissions(yes, they service transmissions). I would get rid of my cars and ride a bike if didn't have another choice.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I was just using that as an example........ Most oil changes at reputible places dont cost more than 25, and aybe about 10-15 if you do it yourself (which is more fun)........

·
Registered
109 Posts
elwesso said:
I was just using that as an example........ Most oil changes at reputible places dont cost more than 25, and aybe about 10-15 if you do it yourself (which is more fun)........
Yeah, you just gotta love hot oil oozing down your arm and into your armpit when changing your oil while lying on your back on oil soaked gravely ground.
Whats even better is reaching for a beer while lying on your back and instead grabbing the old oil filled filter and getting a big delicious swig of the black oily stuff.:vomit:YUM!

·
Registered
989 Posts
How would hot oil get on you? That's why you drain it into an oil pan before taking off the filter. that way, when you take off the filter, the oil doesn't shoot out everywhere. Who tought you how to change oil?

·
Registered
109 Posts
MMNineInchNails said:
How would hot oil get on you? That's why you drain it into an oil pan before taking off the filter. that way, when you take off the filter, the oil doesn't shoot out everywhere. Who tought you how to change oil?
Oh that happens when you unscrew the drain plug. Who ever heard of not getting your hands dirty when you do something yourself. Beer taught me how to change oil. Didn't ya know it made "Bud wiser".

"...yep, $1.89 per quart (4 quarts equal $7.56 + tax) and a $2 someodd for a filter..."
Hey are you always a quart low?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
But usually you need to factor in more for a better filter and better oil...... The good stuff isnt 1.89/qt....... and a good filter isnt 2.00.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts