Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to buying rims.
I currently have the stock 17" x 7.5" rims for my Escalade.

I noticed when I was searching around on the web, there are many places that sell rims. Most rims have a bigger diameter and width.

My question is, will the bigger rims fit for my car? I am afraid the tire will hit the wheel well when I turn the steering wheel.

Also, I am concerned that the rims might be meant for a lighter type of car, I wonder if it can handle the weight of the Escalade. Should the rims be rated for weight?

I am leaning towards the 18" rims, any suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
This has been covered to death here, do a search for "rubbing, rub, or "will my tires rub"" and you will find all the info you possibly want on what offsets, sizes, etc. you need to fall within to make sure you don't rub. I don't think you're going to be even remotely close to having a problem with 18's. Hell the Escalade Platinum runs 20+ inch rims STOCK.

·
Registered
Escalade
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about weight capacity?

Is it possible the rims to be made for a sedan or coupe and won't be able to handle the weight of the Escalade?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
just 18s? id just keep the chrome stock 17s for all that. i just think they would look the same as having 17 inch factory wheels especially if your putting a regular thick tire on it. i went through a ton of rims on my cars ect and eventually got sick of the bumpier ride, wearing down of brakes and other components. if i was going to get rims for an escalade, id get atleast a nice set of 20s with the best tire that would fit on it to keep the ride as nice as possible. but its your escalade and if 18s are what you want then so be it. usually on wheel sites they have a section of strictly truck rims, or theyll have 2 rim choices, the regular and then a suv choice. other then that not sure about weight capacitys

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
You should not have any problems with 18's lol - heck I am rolling on 24's with 315-35-24 Tires and I only get a slight rub when the wheel is locked all way right or left which in most situations, is not required to fully turned like that, so its all good!

Why don't you get some 20's / 22's or something if you do not want to really go big? That would look nice on there, but I guess its your personality and choice :)

·
Registered
NONE
1,042 Posts
As said, you should have no problems with 18s. I have done 20s and 24s with no issues at all. But there are a ton of threads on here addressing your questions... Do the research

·
Registered
Escalade
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have almost new tires on my 17" rims that I spend close to $1,000 on.

What do you do with your old rims and tires when you replace them?

·
Registered
04 ESV
209 Posts
What about weight capacity?

Is it possible the rims to be made for a sedan or coupe and won't be able to handle the weight of the Escalade?
No worries here...bolt pattern and offset wont allow the swap. I wouldnt go 18's unless:
1. You need to replace your tires and get a great deal on a set of 18's with tires.
2. There is a certain 18" wheel you just really really like.
3. Budgetary constraints.
4. You want to keep the ride as comfy as possible.

Theres enough used 20" stuff on the market that prices have come down substantially. I personally prefer OEM stuff and went with GM CK945's with caddy center caps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts