Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What purpose do the spring clips serve, and is it harmful to not use them ? The pads wouldn't fit right with the clips in place so i assembled it without them. Planning on getting another set and redoing it but not until the weekend.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,428 Posts
Those are the brake pad retainer clips. They prevent the pads from backing part way out of the caliper, thus resulting in uneven wear.

Did you correctly screw the caliper pistons back into the caliper, aligning the indents?

Rear brake caliper & pads.gif
Rear brake caliper.gif

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,091 Posts
Are you talking about the "retainer springs" (#1)? If so, yes you need them.

EDIT:
Oops! Sub beat me to it.

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did screw the pistons back in, but the inner pad would not fit in the bracket with the spring clips on, I fought with it for an hour, even tried it with the old clips. The inner pad just would not fit.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,817 Posts
Again, as Sub says, did you align the tits on the pad with the cutouts on the piston.

·
2004 Deville
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Screwing the piston in and replacing the caliper over the pads assumes that the pads are installed correctly, the pad would not seat properly on the bracket, before the caliper was lowered into place, with the spring clips in place, it had nothing to do with the pistons being screwed in.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,672 Posts
What purpose do the spring clips serve, and is it harmful to not use them ? The pads wouldn't fit right with the clips in place so i assembled it without them. Planning on getting another set and redoing it but not until the weekend.
=======================
the thin stainless steel spring clips serve several purposes -
they keep tension on the brake pads to prevent them from vibrating - causing squeaks -

more importantly - they are the bearing surface that allows the pads to move as they wear -
without them - the steel backing plate can rust to the steel caliper mount -

use a wire brush to be SURE the surface is clean and rust free -
carefully inspect the clips for bent tabs -
the pads ARE a tight fit - but should NOT require force to slip the pads in place -

what brand pads did you gey?

·
2004 Deville
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are ac delco, p/n 17d714mh. Its almost like the pads are too long, I fit the bottom in and the top wouldn't slide over the spring and vise versa, AND I only had the problem on the inboard side. The outboard side fit with no problem but that when i tried that same pad on the inboard side, it wouldn't fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts