Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Seville which is riding on the stock 18" wheels off an 06 Deville. Just as the Deville would come with 235/50/18, this is the tire size I chose to put on my car. A few months ago I had a shop align the tires. Each of the front tires have developed a terrible wear pattern. The outside (1 inch or so wide) on each tire is worn bald, the remainder of the thread, while thin, seems to be normal.

The guys at the tire place claims that since the car is stock on 16"s it is set up to drive on them. He says; because I went too large, the terrible wear has occurred. I think he is giving me BS. If you look at a tire calculator online, the change from the stock tires to this size is fairly exact. I just want to know for sure before I proceed to the next step, which is of course "giving him shit".

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Im no tire pro and am not sure how much sidewall you got, but I have upgraded my wheels as well, I put 245/45r17 on. They are low profile tires with hardly no sidewall, compaired to my stock 16"s. I love the upgraded "tight grip" on curves they have given me, but a caddy is no honda civic(wieghtwise). I have noticed the outter edge on mine wear a little quicker also, I just rotate them every other oil change to keep the wear down a little. When they get too thin im going to get some with a little more sidewall, like some 255/50's or bigger. Just remember a caddy is a boat! I just try to slow down a little more when turning. Besides go easy on the tire guys, its not thier fault the dont have a tire changing degree! :)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,127 Posts
:confused: Something's fishy. Assuming your original tires were 235/55/17, then the overall diameter was 27.2". If you stay within a tenth or so of that figure, you could run bare 27.2" rims and still have proper alignment. A heavily worn outer band usually signals too much toe-in or camber. (Or, like me, too much weird cornering at way too much speed.......)

·
Registered
154 Posts
:confused: Something's fishy. Assuming your original tires were 235/55/17, then the overall diameter was 27.2". If you stay within a tenth or so of that figure, you could run bare 27.2" rims and still have proper alignment. A heavily worn outer band usually signals too much toe-in or camber. (Or, like me, too much weird cornering at way too much speed.......)
:yeah: You can do a 2 sec test yourself to see if you have too much toe-in. Should be very noticable if your tires are wearing that fast.

Rub your hand in a perpendicular direction on the tread (in and out). The phrase ive always remembered is "smooth in, ruff out"= toe in. Flip in and out in the phrase and its toe out, meaning the inside egde should wear faster than the outter edge. Smooth and ruff refers to how easy your hand will slide across the tread. Check both front tires, if they did toe it in too much, then you could probably get them for replacing the tires. And if you have another shop check it and they find something wrong like say bad front struts or tie rod end, this will give you B*tching Rights to the alignment guy! :rant2::dammit::ripped:

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I agree with the above. Something's wrong. It sounds like the alignment is off. If the cars alignment was able to be brought into spec then there shouldn't be a problem. If they ran out of adjustment room they should have told you that at the time.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
235/50-18 is one of the most common sizes used for wheels on cadillac sevilles, (new) STSs, and devilles.

I can guarentee your akward tire wear is not cause from the tire size, its either an mechanical issue (alignment issue, worn suspension, etc), lack of maintenance, or result of aggressive driving.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember when the guy was doing them he said that "you pay that much for these cars and they don't even allow you to adjust the tow in both directions". Is this true or did I have a dumbass doing it? They checked again and said the alignment was perfect. I'm not aggressive at all with it either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I remember when the guy was doing them he said that "you pay that much for these cars and they don't even allow you to adjust the tow in both directions". Is this true or did I have a dumbass doing it? They checked again and said the alignment was perfect. I'm not aggressive at all with it either.
Sounds to me like a "DING! Frys are done!" :thepan:did your alignment. Take it to an ASE certified shop and have it aligned.:thumbsup: Then bring the bill back to the other shop and talk to the manager:rant2:, tell him he's gotta eat the bill or youll take his ass to judge judy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts