Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as many of you know Im hitting the quarter mile again this weekend and should be able to put up some nice numbers. Im hoping for 14.6.

At any rate, my tranny likes to shift to fourth a couple tents of a second before I cross the finish line. Its usually right around 6500rpms. If I could get it to stay in 3rd I could easily shave a couple tenths off my time.

If I run in 3 will it start in one then hold 3 longer? What if I start in drive then move it to three after I have launched? If I can somehow get it to hold three until 7krpms I would have MUCH better times.

THoughts?

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
if its a quartermile leave it in 4th , and punch it. You cant shift better then a computer can.

Now if its a 1/8th track leave it in 3rd , and punch it.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go on a diet and shave off 20-30 lbs and you'll see your times go up! Sorry couldn't resist :stirpot::thepan:
LOL! Thanks dick head!

Im not saying I want to shift manually. I just want it to hold 3rd up to 7000rpms! I am actually back on my diet. I lost 7lbs last week.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
LOL! Thanks dick head!

Im not saying I want to shift manually. I just want it to hold 3rd up to 7000rpms! I am actually back on my diet. I lost 7lbs last week.
sweet irony!!!!!! I was just toying with this earlier and yes I am feeling it will but are u sure your feeling third gear??? fourth makes more sence at 90 mph .....its not a vette

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Highest octane you can lay your grimy hands on...Weight! No shit. Take out everything you can. pass seat. Jack. Spare tire. Carpet. Whatever you can think of. Can you remove the air filter? Run wide open air just for the pass. Weight is speed. Run as little gas in the tank as you can. Fuel is 8lbs per gallon. Wax the car. You can probably dump 200lbs if you really gut it. An easy tenth. I wish there was a way to bind the suspension in the rear. Run as thin an oil as possible just for the race day. Go to a race shop and see if they have a thin gearbox and rear diff oil just for the race day. You want all reciprocating masses as free as possible. Do you have after market rotors? Are they lighter or heavier than stock? It all ads up. Try a smaller tire on a small wheel to change your gear ratio...not pretty but will change your shift rpms for better times.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Sharp! Thats a little more than I care to do. Last time I ran the 14.95 I had almost a full tank and the spare was still in. This time I will have the spare out and VERY little gas. The weather conditions should also be ALOT better.

As for the gears- putting it in 3 does not matter. It still shifts at the same spot. One weird thing I noticed though was in 3 it seemed to hold two slightly longer. I will get A LOT of runs in so I will be able to try a lot of different things. Im also going to reduce my rear tire pressure. What should I reduce it to?

Also, I know the track sells race fuel. What octane should I try to get in it? I might just go to the track on nearly empty and have them put like a gallon at a time in the car of race fuel. Last time I was running on 91 octane (highest available in iowa).

I also plan on bringing a few ice bags to put on the intake between runs.

My best runs before were with TC off. As long as I avoid the water box and dont spin em it will be fine.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
how much r u revving to before green?

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually between 2000 and 2500

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los
3,201 Posts
Ok, as many of you know Im hitting the quarter mile again this weekend and should be able to put up some nice numbers. Im hoping for 14.6.

At any rate, my tranny likes to shift to fourth a couple tents of a second before I cross the finish line. Its usually right around 6500rpms. If I could get it to stay in 3rd I could easily shave a couple tenths off my time.

If I run in 3 will it start in one then hold 3 longer? What if I start in drive then move it to three after I have launched? If I can somehow get it to hold three until 7krpms I would have MUCH better times.

THoughts?
pay some skinny ass person that is about 135 pounds you see at the track to do the runs for you.

TC off will try and prevent any burn outs what so ever. trust me i tried to do a doughnut with TC on and i almost hit a pole.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
Ive made 10 passes on the 1/4 mile so far.

No water box!
No TC
Sport mode on
REv the motor 2500ish
Light goes green, left foot off the brake, right foot on the floor.

That will give you your best time.

I want to see what Nick gets in better weather. When my car was stock my time was only like .7 off Nicks time. So I know he should be able to get some good times.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, I know the track sells race fuel. What octane should I try to get in it? I might just go to the track on nearly empty and have them put like a gallon at a time in the car of race fuel. Last time I was running on 91 octane (highest available in iowa).
Haven't used any in about 10 yrs, but all the 100+ octane was all leaded. It may run fine, I'm not sure, but it will cost you a new cat because it destroys them. the lead gunks them up. Maybe now they have unleaded, but I'd make sure first.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
well nick go and reread my article on how to drag race your car, i think it was in the big 3 thread, and ditch the "lighter gear oil" B.S.
good god

you have some good advice so far, take out the spare, 1/4 tank of gas (too little and upon acceleration you will dry out the pump, stalls on the track are embarassing). wash the car before hand, clean the air filter and if its a volant take the top off the box. when running full throttle the engine can not heat the same amount of air that the box is sucking in so you should be okay. experiment. get some vht spray for the tires and practice launching, learn how to butterfly the throttle. and TOTALLY take the TC off, if you get a better time with the TC on then you really need to relearn how to drive.

I found a place that made airbags for the stock springs, they were cheap too and would prevent the ass of the car from squatting. over inflate the rear tires so that when they do squat you get a better contact patch.

its odd that your car won't hold the gear, when I have sports mode on in my 04 I can hold 3rd till about 6800-6900 rpm. the computer learns, so whenever I have it in sports mode I hammer it to hell. the car is actually very mean when in sports mode and holds the gears deep into the rpm band.

definately learn to launch. when i started i was able to chop a FULL second off of my time just from learning to launch. when you are measuring in tenths a little tiny squeel of wheels is costing you time.

also rule of thumb
every 100lbs = about a tenth

and dont do ricer mentality:
"well if i strip my car to the bone in a way that i would never have it in the street it runs pretty fast"

save the lighter rotors and skinny tires for when you are getting real serious.

lets talk to big3 and make sure the freaking hptuners suite can do gear ratio changes and then swap in the 373 gears out of the V (thats what I am doing) you will lose some top end but gain a lot of low end.

(i can out run my friends mustang gt past 80 because of our tall high end gears)

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Kael, you may looking for suspension lockouts that some shipping companies use to transport vehicles. Its basically a metal block that locks into the springs and physically stops them from compressing. Cheap and easy. Ive seen a lot of Regals and Grand Prixs use them.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
yeah, spring blocks. I have used them before when i had the grand prix and now the trans am.

X

·
0 Posts
Good God? Yet you virtually accept every other idea I had for Nick. How do you know how much he wants to do? How do I know? I gave him every idea I could think of and you feel the lighter oil won't help? I know nothing about the race. I assumed he wants to go as fast as possible. There are many ways and methods...just depends on how far you wish to go with it. Don't laugh about the thinner oils. The higher you rev it the more it makes a difference. We used them in Funny cars in the old days and I'm betting they still do. Granted it's a lot of trouble for very little gain but it's just an idea for him.

Be careful of racing fuel. It does contain a lot of lead and will foul your cat. I meant for you to find the highest octane you can get with out lead of course. There are lead free additives.
well nick go and reread my article on how to drag race your car, i think it was in the big 3 thread, and ditch the "lighter gear oil" B.S.
good god

you have some good advice so far, take out the spare, 1/4 tank of gas (too little and upon acceleration you will dry out the pump, stalls on the track are embarassing). wash the car before hand, clean the air filter and if its a volant take the top off the box. when running full throttle the engine can not heat the same amount of air that the box is sucking in so you should be okay. experiment. get some vht spray for the tires and practice launching, learn how to butterfly the throttle. and TOTALLY take the TC off, if you get a better time with the TC on then you really need to relearn how to drive.

I found a place that made airbags for the stock springs, they were cheap too and would prevent the ass of the car from squatting. over inflate the rear tires so that when they do squat you get a better contact patch.

its odd that your car won't hold the gear, when I have sports mode on in my 04 I can hold 3rd till about 6800-6900 rpm. the computer learns, so whenever I have it in sports mode I hammer it to hell. the car is actually very mean when in sports mode and holds the gears deep into the rpm band.

definately learn to launch. when i started i was able to chop a FULL second off of my time just from learning to launch. when you are measuring in tenths a little tiny squeel of wheels is costing you time.

also rule of thumb
every 100lbs = about a tenth

and dont do ricer mentality:
"well if i strip my car to the bone in a way that i would never have it in the street it runs pretty fast"

save the lighter rotors and skinny tires for when you are getting real serious.

lets talk to big3 and make sure the freaking hptuners suite can do gear ratio changes and then swap in the 373 gears out of the V (thats what I am doing) you will lose some top end but gain a lot of low end.

(i can out run my friends mustang gt past 80 because of our tall high end gears)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
well you can up your octane by making your own race gas using xylene and toulene.
its cheap and its usually used as a paint thinner (and is the exact same componets of real race gas)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts