Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
escalade
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2015 Escalade and the Salesperson said I should use 87 or low octane gas. I read the manual and it states toptier gas.

What are you using and why?

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
On the gas door, it says premium fuel recommended...when I researched this vehicle, it says regular. I'm using premium fuel b/c I'm don't want Cadillac to void the warranty if something were to happened if I used regular.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On the gas door, it says premium fuel recommended...when I researched this vehicle, it says regular. I'm using premium fuel b/c I'm don't want Cadillac to void the warranty if something were to happened if I used regular.
Where did you reserch it?
Where does it say 'regular'?

----------

I just picked up a 2015 Escalade and the Salesperson said I should use 87 or low octane gas. I read the manual and it states toptier gas.

What are you using and why?
From the manual (2015i):

Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel is an
important part of the proper
maintenance of this vehicle. When
driving in the U.S. and Canada, to
help keep the engine clean and
maintain optimum vehicle
performance, we recommend using
TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines
See www.toptiergas.com for a list of
TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines.
Use premium unleaded gasoline
meeting ASTM specification D4814
with a posted octane rating of 91 or
higher
. Regular unleaded gasoline
rated at 87 octane or higher can be
used, but acceleration and fuel
economy will be reduced, and an
audible knocking noise may be
heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline
rated at 91 octane or higher as soon
as possible. Otherwise, the engine
could be damaged. If heavy
knocking is heard when using
gasoline with a 91 octane rating or
higher, the engine needs service.
Use of Seasonal Fuels
Use summer and winter fuels in the
appropriate season. The fuels
industry automatically modifies the
fuel for the appropriate season.
If fuel is left in the vehicle tank for
long periods of time, driving or
starting could be affected. Drive the
vehicle until the fuel is at one-half
tank or less, then refuel with the
current seasonal fuel.
Prohibited Fuels
Gasolines containing oxygenates
such as ethers and ethanol, as well
as reformulated gasolines, are
available in some cities. If these
gasolines comply with the
previously described specification,
then they are acceptable to use.
However, E85 (85% ethanol) and
other fuels containing more than
15% ethanol must be used only in
FlexFuel vehicles.
{ Caution
Do not use fuel containing
methanol. It can corrode metal
parts in the fuel system and also
damage plastic and rubber parts.
That damage would not be
covered under the vehicle
warranty.
Some gasolines, mainly high octane
racing gasolines, can contain an
octane-enhancing additive called
methylcyclopentadienyl manganese
tricarbonyl (MMT). Do not use
gasolines and/or fuel additives with
MMT as they can reduce spark plug
life and affect emission control
system performance.

Driving and Operating 9-71
The malfunction indicator lamp may
turn on. If this occurs, see your
dealer for service.
California Fuel
Requirements
If the vehicle is certified to meet
California Emissions Standards, it is
designed to operate on fuels that
meet California specifications. See
the underhood emission control
label. If this fuel is not available in
states adopting California Emissions
Standards, the vehicle will operate
satisfactorily on fuels meeting
federal specifications, but emission
control system performance might
be affected. The malfunction
indicator lamp could turn on and the
vehicle may not pass a smog-check
test. See Malfunction Indicator
Lamp on page 5-18. If this occurs,
return to your authorized dealer for
diagnosis. If it is determined that the
condition is caused by the type of
fuel used, repairs may not be
covered by the vehicle warranty.
Fuels in Foreign
Countries
If planning to drive in countries
outside the U.S. or Canada, the
proper fuel might be hard to find.
Check regional auto club or fuel
retail brand websites for availability
in the country where driving. Never
use leaded gasoline, fuel containing
methanol, manganese, or any other
fuel not recommended. Costly
repairs caused by use of improper
fuel would not be covered by the
vehicle warranty.
Fuel Additives
To keep fuel systems clean, TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline is
recommended. See Fuel on
page 9-70.
If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is
not available, one bottle of Fuel
System Treatment PLUS added to
the fuel tank at every engine oil
change, can help. Fuel System
Treatment PLUS is the only
gasoline additive recommended by
General Motors. It is available at
your dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
Read the manual.

The minimum gasoline you should use is 87, but for best performance/mpg, premium unleaded fuel is recommended.

If you are worried about mpg, on the DIC Tachometer side, look for avg mpg V4/V8, that will help monitor your MPG.

I use 87 on my '08 H2 and Platinum. The H2 is still running great for 7 years now and the Platinum is nearing 2 years and that is doing fine.

You aren't going to void the warranty for using 87 octane. They just said anything lower than the minimum octane can damage the engine. Also, key word "recommended" which you can use premium if you choose. My GL550, it says "minimum 91 octane required". There is a difference in wording. Only thing with 87 octane is don't get too "pedal happy" because little slow throttle response.

If you want the chemistry side of it, feel free to ask. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Edmunds says it's flex-fuel, which it's definitely not:

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/escalade/2015/?tab-id=specs-tab&sub=

Here's one that says regular fuel:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Cadillac2015.shtml
Just follow the manual and remember it's "minimum 87 octane" for better performance and good MPG, use premium octane. :)

If you use the regular gas, don't "put the pedal to the metal" and keep it under 3000 RPM. Like the image I show previously, that will help you know your MPG based on the way you drive.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Platinum (soon), 2013 Nissan GTR E85 (sold)
49 Posts
The octane isn't going to make any difference in this type of vehicle. I would like to see real data between performance and MPG between 87 and 91 octane. For the price difference, I'm certain the differences are negligible. This isn't a forced induction vehicle like the GL550 or a high compression motor (by 2015 standards). Maybe with an ECU tune you could get the 91 to benefit you but with factory logic no benefit is to be had... maybe just a couple of degrees of timing at the very most

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The octane isn't going to make any difference in this type of vehicle. I would like to see real data between performance and MPG between 87 and 91 octane. For the price difference, I'm certain the differences are negligible. This isn't a forced induction vehicle like the GL550 or a high compression motor (by 2015 standards). Maybe with an ECU tune you could get the 91 to benefit you but with factory logic no benefit is to be had... maybe just a couple of degrees of timing at the very most
87 octane has little more other additives than the 91 octane, chemically wise. Most car companies like MB, BMW require 91 octane because it's a little more cleaner and keeps consistent throttle response. 87 octane isn't that much of an issue, as long as you keep it at low rpms to reduce the risk of knocking

·
Registered
49 Posts
^Wow...a lot of misinformation. I'm not even sure where to start so I won't.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts
RPM has nothing to do with fuel ping or knock. Engine load, timing, and fuel octane does. An engine with a faulty EGR will ping at 1,000 rpm.

A TopTier fuel uses an authorized level of additives for cleaners, vapor control, oxidation, other stuff. ALL grades of a Top Tier fuel contain the appropriate levels of additives. (The higher the octane, the slower the gasoline burns. If the engine is set up mechanically and calibrated for it a higher octane fuel with its attendant ignition advance keeps more of the pressure flame travel in the arc of crank rotation to take advantage of the slower burn.)

Fuel use: When all else fails, read the owner's manual - and I'll wager it says something like "Your vehicle is designed to use 87 octane fuels. However, for maximum performance under high speed, towing or mountain driving conditions a higher octane fuel may be used".

The use of higher octane fuels in engines designed and calibrated for lower octane fuels WILL NOT result in any measurable gas mileage increases averaged over a year or two and it WILL NOT result in any measurable "power increases". Before and after dyno slips, anyone ??

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
THE 2015 CADILLAC ESCALADE OWNERS MANUAL RECOMMENDS PREMIUM TOP TIER GASOLINE OF 91 OCTANE.

YOU CAN USE REGULAR GASOLINE OF 87 OCTANE,
but acceleration and fuel
heard.

The FUEL section of our owners manual:
Cadillac Escalade Owner Manual
Driving and Operating
Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel is an
important part of the proper
maintenance of this vehicle. When
driving in the U.S. and Canada, to
help keep the engine clean and
maintain optimum vehicle
performance, we recommend using
See www.toptiergas.com for a list of
Use premium unleaded gasoline
meeting ASTM specification D4814
with a posted octane rating of 91 or

higher. Regular unleaded gasoline
rated at 87 octane or higher can be
used, but acceleration and fuel
heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline
rated at 91 octane or higher as soon
as possible. Otherwise, the engine
could be damaged. If heavy
knocking is heard when using
gasoline with a 91 octane rating or
higher, the engine needs service.
Use of Seasonal Fuels
Use summer and winter fuels in the
appropriate season. The fuels
industry automatically modifies the
fuel for the appropriate season.
If fuel is left in the vehicle tank for
long periods of time, driving or
starting could be affected. Drive the
vehicle until the fuel is at one-half
tank or less, then refuel with the
current seasonal fuel.
Prohibited Fuels
Gasolines containing oxygenates
such as ethers and ethanol, as well
as reformulated gasolines, are

available in some cities. If these
gasolines comply with the
previously described specification,
then they are acceptable to use.
However, E85 (85% ethanol) and
other fuels containing more than
15% ethanol must be used only in
FlexFuel vehicles.
{
Caution
Do not use fuel containing
methanol. It can corrode metal
parts in the fuel system and also
damage plastic and rubber parts.
That damage would not be
covered under the vehicle
warranty.
Some gasolines, mainly high octane
racing gasolines, can contain an
octane-enhancing additive called
methylcyclopentadienyl manganese
tricarbonyl (MMT). Do not use
gasolines and/or fuel additives with
MMT as they can reduce spark plug
life and affect emission control
system performance. The

malfunction indicator lamp may turn
on. If this occurs, see your dealer
for service.

from the 2015 Cadillac Escade Owners Manual.

THE OWNERS MANUAL RECOMMENDS PREMIUM TOP TIER GASOLINE OF 91 OCTANE.

YOU CAN USE REGULAR GASOLINE OF 87 OCTANE,
but acceleration and fuel
heard.

George

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
zerdian1 said:
THE 2015 CADILLAC ESCALADE OWNERS MANUAL RECOMMENDS PREMIUM TOP TIER GASOLINE OF 91 OCTANE. YOU CAN USE REGULAR GASOLINE OF 87 OCTANE, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. The FUEL section of our owners manual: Cadillac Escalade Owner Manual 2015 Driving and Operating Fuel Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of this vehicle. When driving in the U.S. and Canada, to help keep the engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle performance, we recommend using TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines. See www.toptiergas.com for a list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines. Use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 91 octane rating or higher, the engine needs service. Use of Seasonal Fuels Use summer and winter fuels in the appropriate season. The fuels industry automatically modifies the fuel for the appropriate season. If fuel is left in the vehicle tank for long periods of time, driving or starting could be affected. Drive the vehicle until the fuel is at one-half tank or less, then refuel with the current seasonal fuel. Prohibited Fuels Gasolines containing oxygenates such as ethers and ethanol, as well as reformulated gasolines, are available in some cities. If these gasolines comply with the previously described specification, then they are acceptable to use. However, E85 (85% ethanol) and other fuels containing more than 15% ethanol must be used only in FlexFuel vehicles. { Caution Do not use fuel containing methanol. It can corrode metal parts in the fuel system and also damage plastic and rubber parts. That damage would not be covered under the vehicle warranty. Some gasolines, mainly high octane racing gasolines, can contain an octane-enhancing additive called methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT). Do not use gasolines and/or fuel additives with MMT as they can reduce spark plug life and affect emission control system performance. The malfunction indicator lamp may turn on. If this occurs, see your dealer for service. from the 2015 Cadillac Escade Owners Manual. THE OWNERS MANUAL RECOMMENDS PREMIUM TOP TIER GASOLINE OF 91 OCTANE. YOU CAN USE REGULAR GASOLINE OF 87 OCTANE, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. George

Thank you!

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
That being said (OM recommends TT 91 Gas). I use mostly Top Tier regular gas.
I have fantastic acceleration, no knocking at all, but 13.9 MPG over the last 3500 miles.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
^Wow...a lot of misinformation. I'm not even sure where to start so I won't.
You guys are looking at this in a diagnostic aspect, which is fine. The approach I am taking is a chemistry standpoint and I studied Organic chemistry.

We had a discussion about this a while back about what is octane, which I will revisit.

"What the octane rating is the percent of this organic compound (octane) by volume. Octane means 8 carbon atoms. Name of that structure is 2,2,4-trimethpentane, we can call this the iso-octane. There is another compound call heptane (which burns faster) that is part of the gasoline mixture along with other additives. So when you see an increase in octane number like 87 or 93, that represents the volume percent of iso-octane. Despite the increase, the detonations doesn't change the properties. The knocking is caused by the heptane because it is burning more readily. Not only the computers can adjust to the time, it's also up to the driver to adjust as well. Most of the engineers won't talk about it, but scientist can see the reasoning behind and how to adjust to those types of conditions."

Here is some more info. In Europe, they use the RON scale which is exactly the volume percent of iso-octane. So the minimum there is 91. The AKI in the US is 87. How does that happen? AKI= (RON + MON) /2. MON in the Motor Octane Number. Example: (91+ 83)/2= 87 AKI. For premium, the RON is 95 which means that there is a 4% increase in iso-octane and 4% decrease in heptane. Also the MON will increase by 4% as well. So the AKI is 91.

Here what I have fully said a while back along with an image of the iso-octane. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-esv-forum-2015/639017-questions-invoice-terminology-premium-gas.html#post13744258

The RPM part, when you add more energy to a system with gasoline, the first compound to react is the one with lowest boiling point in the mixture. Guess whats coming out of the exhaust pipes when there is a reaction taking place? CO2 and H2O, the common product of combustion reaction.

You can look up boiling points of iso-octane, heptane, and the other liquids like methanol and why methanol is not used as gasoline.

E85 is a completely different concept which will take a while to explain.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I only run Shell V-Power 91 octane fuel. It's the highest octane here in California. 87 octane for a high compression direct injection 6.2L V8? Why not run 91 octane? I found the engine is more responsive and has more power running only 91 octane. If you own a new Escalade, are you really gonna pinch pennies on the octane of fuel you run? I mean, really guys? This is laughable. Run 91 octane or higher. I have found that Shell V-Power does run better than other brands in both my GM V8s.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The bottom line is this....

If you want more responsiveness and slightly more power, then run 91. In 2015, high compression motors can run lower octane unlike my 1999 Honda prelude which cannot due to a while host of issues largely involving the ECU logic.

If you want to save money at the expense of some power and fuel economy, then go with 87.

I sold my 700hp 2013 Nissan GTR just prior to purchasing this Escalade and that is the kind of car that REQUIRED 91 octane and would show real improvement. Actually it recommended a RON of 97 (I believe) but no such luck where I live but that's okay because the ECU just compensated by decreasing the degrees of timing when it knew that a lower octane fuel than the recommended was running. Go below 91 would be a recipe for disaster if you mashed the pedal like mentioned above.

When I upgraded to flex fuel, E85 was a whole different beast.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I will have to cave on this debate because it's clearly obvious I lost this. Touche.

I just question why hasn't Cadillac or GM hasn't said in the manual for all 6.2L V8, which are high compression engines, to "require 91 octane and anything lower than 91 octane can damage your engine and void your warranty." That should have been said since they are competing against brands like MB and BMW which majority of their vehicles run on premium.

Check out this vid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts