Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 dts 4.6 northstar and I am going to be scheduling to have the dexcool changed in the next week or two. Before I do i need to know the best prefered method? I have called about 5 to 6 cadillac dealerships on how they mix the dexcool and have gotten 3 different responces. some of them said they mix it with tapp water (which I believe should be the wrong way), a couple more said they mix with distilled water and a few more said they get a premix already mixed from gm.... which way would be the prefered method here???

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Tap water is never recommended. The 50/50 or distilled water are fine.

If you are interested it is a fairly easy job to do yourself.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Have your ever seen a source for large amount of distilled water a dealership?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,475 Posts
:confused: AJ....Sure: the corner supermarket, for .89 a gallon, and the dealership charges you $3.89 a gallon. The local Ford parts runner buys the stuff by the case at our local Acme. "You can s**t the fans, but you can't s**t the players" (Dexter Manley, Washington Redskins)
rndthm, DIY with help from your factory service manual. A simple job, and you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
:confused: AJ....Sure: the corner supermarket, for .89 a gallon, and the dealership charges you $3.89 a gallon. The local Ford parts runner buys the stuff by the case at our local Acme. "You can s**t the fans, but you can't s**t the players" (Dexter Manley, Washington Redskins)
rndthm, DIY with help from your factory service manual. A simple job, and you'll learn a lot.
I have never seen clean drinkable water at a dealer that I used to fill a system.
I have always used to dirty crap out of the hose.
I know that I shouldn't, but that is the way it is done.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,986 Posts
Water from a municipal water system these days is going to have a relatively high Ph adjusted to keep from leaching lead from home soldered plumbing systems. Other than that there won't be much else that matters.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Water from a municipal water system these days is going to have a relatively high Ph adjusted to keep from leaching lead from home soldered plumbing systems. Other than that there won't be much else that matters.
If you drink the water at the dealer ship you will go home.
It is soooooo bad every shop has it own bottled water and they also supply it in the waiting area.
If we had good air we could use the snow, but it is soooooo dirty also.
This state sucks. I need to get back to WA or Alaska.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
50/50 with distilled water. I would never use tap water in a coolant system. Way to many minerals.

The premix is fine also but you're paying more money for half the coolant. Distilled water here is $ .58 in Wal-Mart

And it is a pretty easy do-it-yourself job.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Dex cool premix at a dealer. I have never seen this at a dealer or in the Chemical catalog. I will need to take a closer look, but I think it is not available from GM.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,109 Posts
The Guru once told me that the factory uses ionized water at the factory when I asked.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stopped by one of the dealerships this morning to look at thier bottle of premix. It said ac delco and dexcool on it but after reading the back of it!!! This is not a premix.... you are supposed to mix it with water from what I read on the directions on it and on the back the directions said to mix it with tapp water. Why would gm put in the directions to use tapp water???

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
With the premix, you're obviously paying almost double for your coolant mixture. Prices around here are about $7/gal for the premix and $8/gal for full strength. Add $1/gal for distilled water and for $9, if you mix it yourself, you have 2 gallons of 50/50, vs. $7/gal if you buy it premade.

I just use an extra 1 gallon plastic pitcher and mix it that way (pouring back and forth a few times). It may not be totally dissolved the way the factory might do it, but by the time it's been run through the engine a few cycles, it's been mixed thoroughly enough for my liking.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
Hey if you want easy clean and cheap water, just tap the condensate line from an air conditioner. The water condendes out of the air, which is the second half of distillation (The first half being forcing it into the air with heat). As long as your condensate line and AC coils and capture container are clean, there won't be any minerals at all. The water out of a dehumidifier would work too. It'd be damn expensive distilled water though, as dehumidifiers usually consume a few hundred watts of electricity, but hey if you're already using one... Might as well...

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
That's a great point above. Even from just an environmental standpoint. It's amazing how much humidity an air conditioner removes (especially a home HVAC). Ours removes about 2 gallons a day out of the (humid North Carolina) air. I keep a 5 gallon pail under the condensate line and use that water to water the flower beds in the yard.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Distilled water is $ .58 a gallon. Why would you bother?

Hey if you want easy clean and cheap water, just tap the condensate line from an air conditioner. The water condendes out of the air, which is the second half of distillation (The first half being forcing it into the air with heat). As long as your condensate line and AC coils and capture container are clean, there won't be any minerals at all. The water out of a dehumidifier would work too. It'd be damn expensive distilled water though, as dehumidifiers usually consume a few hundred watts of electricity, but hey if you're already using one... Might as well...
EDIT: Ohhh I see you quantified the cost here. got it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts