Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2005 Deville DTS
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the group and I am sure someone in here can help. I just bought a 2005 Deville DTS. According to the manual, during daylight hours only the headlights should be on at a reduced intensity.

Mine is doing the following. Regardless of how bright it is outside, my Lights On indicator is on and my headlights and tail lights are on. If I slide the twilight switch to off, the DIC says Headlights Suggested.

Now here is where it get interesting, If the twilight switch is on, at night the lights remain on for an appropriate amount of time. During the day they turn off immediately. At night the dashboard lights are cant be dimmed but at night they can. This leads me to think the ambient light sensor on the dash is working fine. I further tested this by covering it during the day and about 10 seconds later the dash light dimmed. After it was uncovered they went to full brightness again..

So my question is should the headlights and tail lights both be on during the day or am I missing something?

· Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,833 Posts
Usually with daytime running lights only the headlights should be on but none of the other lights. The way they go off immediately during the day and the dash only being dimmable at night sounds like that part is working normally.

· Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
22,646 Posts
I have a question for the group and I am sure someone in here can help. I just bought a 2005 Deville DTS. According to the manual, during daylight hours only the headlights should be on at a reduced intensity.

Mine is doing the following. Regardless of how bright it is outside, my Lights On indicator is on and my headlights and tail lights are on. If I slide the twilight switch to off, the DIC says Headlights Suggested.

Now here is where it get interesting, If the twilight switch is on, at night the lights remain on for an appropriate amount of time. During the day they turn off immediately. At night the dashboard lights are cant be dimmed but at night they can. This leads me to think the ambient light sensor on the dash is working fine. I further tested this by covering it during the day and about 10 seconds later the dash light dimmed. After it was uncovered they went to full brightness again..

So my question is should the headlights and tail lights both be on during the day or am I missing something?
----------------------
you have a DTS -
if your fog lights are turned ON during the day -
I think they override the twilight system and - DRL system -

the other possibility is that you have rainsense wipers -
and they are NOT in the fully-OFF position -

· Super Moderator
2010 DTS
89,562 Posts
:welcome:

No, you're not missing anything. They should not be on.

----------------------

the other possibility is that you have rainsense wipers -
and they are NOT in the fully-OFF position -
:yeah:

· Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
22,646 Posts
Basscatt nailed it. It was the rain sense wipers. I kinda feel stupid. :(

I just got my 2005 DTS with only 40,000 miles on it. So far I am in love with the car.
----------------------------
these cars have so many "secrete" features -
some people are still discovering things - YEARS after getting them -

best advise - read the Owners Manual - cover-to-cover - twice -

and if you would like a copy of the Owners Manual for your computer -
here is a link to a free downloadable copy -
http://www.manualowl.com/am/Cadillac/2005-DeVille/Manual/226

the really cool stuff is in the DIC Vehicle Personalization section -
starting on page 3-68 of the Owners Manual

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.