Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

My battery is now a grand mother... 13yo !
and even if it run good for it's age, i can't let it connected more than 1 week before crank is impossible..

remember i live in France, so the only seller i found that sell acdelco battery is so much expensive.... more than 300$.................

found optima battery on amazon but they don't ship it to France...

what are the differents batteries that can fit under-rear seat witch is compatible with original acdelco for my 2001 seville ? (with side connection)
i have not found website where to buy compatible battery with raisonable price...

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,261 Posts
hi,

My battery is now a grand mother... 13yo !
and even if it run good for it's age, i can't let it connected more than 1 week before crank is impossible..

remember i live in France, so the only seller i found that sell acdelco battery is so much expensive.... more than 300$.................

found optima battery on amazon but they don't ship it to France...

what are the differents batteries that can fit under-rear seat witch is compatible with original acdelco for my 2001 seville ? (with side connection)
i have not found website where to buy compatible battery with raisonable price...
----------------------------------------

the ONLY correct battery for the Seville is the GROUP-79 -
this is due to the internal venting REQUIRED -
because if the battery location - inside the cabin - under the back seat -

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes but i can't find it here at a descent price.... :(

i have found Exide full sealed battery... seller say me that it not need venting.... :s but i prefer bought original ref.... if i found it...

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
A leak proof, gel cell battery like an Optima should be perfectly safe in your car. I don't believe they require any type of venting. I've used them in these cars in the past without issue. Save your money and buy one of those instead, $300 is craziness.

If buying an Optima, be sure to get the one with the connection posts that are at the outer edge of the battery. The cables under the seat are not long enough to reach the ones with the posts in the center. As it is, I remember having to loosen and reposition the negative cable to reach the narrower Optima's post. Maybe the Exide would be better, check all the measurements first and compare it to the original.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
The listed aftermarket battery most readily available isn't vented but, then, it might well be "sealed for life" as that seems to be the industry standard now.

I would say the Optima option is an excellent one, although as they tend to be small, the ground lead might need replacing with a longer one. Not sure about securing it either - as mine doesn't have any mounting hardware so don't know what it looks like.

As for shipping to France, pas de probleme - just go to a 4WD suppliers: off-roaders love Optimas!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
"Sealed for life" means you don't have to top off the electrolyte. All lead acid automotive batteries are vented. When it's under the hood, it vents to the atmosphere. If it's trunk/under seat mounted, it MUST be able to be vented through the rubber lines and out of the cabin.

AGM type batteries don't vent under normal use, and require no venting.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Is there room to put a sealed battery box under the seat so he can use any battery?

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Is there room to put a sealed battery box under the seat so he can use any battery?
Not likely, no. Too tight in there. Besides, a sealed box is only to contain leaks. It would still need some sort of venting anyway, so back to square one. Best to spend the extra cash on an AGM style unit as mentioned above.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Battery box won't fit under the seat.

An AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery requires no venting (unless grossly overcharged) and can be mounted in just about any position, so it satisfies quite a few problems. BUT - you need one with a rating of at least 800 CCA for these cars.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
But it's not quite that simple, batteries under rear seats are nothing new - think VDubs, MGB's they weren't vented (other than to the under seat void) AND they had batteries with screw caps for topping-up. On the other hand, Jaguar XJ40's had vent tubes - under the hood!

While I accept your definition of "sealed for life" - surely if they don't lose any electrolyte they can't be vented. Conversely, if they were vented they would lose electrolyte - &, ultimately need topping-up. More prosaically, a vent, by definition, is an opening in the case, which modern batteries simply don't have: I examined mine very carefully, with a view to attaching the vent pipe!

Anyway, as far as OP's problem - we're back to Optima aren't we? I don't think the 800 CCA should be a problem, but the fact one is listed for the specific application MIGHT be. Ironically, Optima advise reference to an appropriate forum, to see how others have resolved the difficulty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts