Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ETC, 2010 DTS Platinum
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I'm hoping someone can answer this. I'm going to purchase a 2017 Platinum CT6 with the rear entertainment system. Since there is no CD player for the Panaray system up front, If I insert an audio disc in the rear seats BluRay slot, would it basically take the place of a front seat CD player and play in surround sound, along with allowing me to change tracks and have control from the CUE system? Also, has anyone ever installed a OEM GM glove box CD player for the Panaray system? Do you need a GM tech, or is it pre-wired and can be done by the owner? Thank you so much....Sal

·
Registered
2018 CT6
136 Posts
Why knock yourself out? I have a 2018 Prem-Lux and your CT6 can't be that different than mine. Do you have access to a computer with Windows Media Player? What about your kids, grandkids? If the answer is yes, then respond here and I will tell you what to do. When I bought my CT6, I think I talked to it seemed, everyone at the Cadillac 800 number telling me I could not do what I finally did after three months of trial and error and now even my Windows Play List play flawlessly.

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.6L Platinum
47 Posts
Sadly, the rear entertainment player doesn't play a CD. I was hoping for the same thing, but it only plays blu rays or DVDs. Looks like the addition of a CD player in the glovebox may be a dealer thing. (Cadillac Accessories)

·
Registered
2007 STS
28 Posts
I use my iPhone a lot to play music with Car Play, but there are still times when I want to play CDs. I bought a brand new GM CD player for my 2016 off of the auction site. It was a 15 minute install and no software flash or programming was needed. It was literally plug (one plug) and play. It installs the same way you change your interior air filter, so I changed it while I was at it. I think there were five or six torx screws involved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why knock yourself out? I have a 2018 Prem-Lux and your CT6 can't be that different than mine. Do you have access to a computer with Windows Media Player? What about your kids, grandkids? If the answer is yes, then respond here and I will tell you what to do. When I bought my CT6, I think I talked to it seemed, everyone at the Cadillac 800 number telling me I could not do what I finally did after three months of trial and error and now even my Windows Play List play flawlessly.
Thank you for helping me. Yes I have a computer with Windows Media Player......any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you ...Sal

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use my iPhone a lot to play music with Car Play, but there are still times when I want to play CDs. I bought a brand new GM CD player for my 2016 off of the auction site. It was a 15 minute install and no software flash or programming was needed. It was literally plug (one plug) and play. It installs the same way you change your interior air filter, so I changed it while I was at it. I think there were five or six torx screws involved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for responding....I have a few questions and I'm hoping you can help. I just purchased my 2017 Platinum online and didn't receive it yet, so I don't know what the interior of the glove box looks like. I've seen two different listings on Ebay. One being just the CD player...the other includes the CD player, shelf kit and hardware...auction # 233739550405 and # 174591239954. Would you please enter the auction numbers in the search bar and see which one I would need. Also where did the wire plug into? Do I have to access the back of the infotainment system? Is it pre-wired already from the factory and simply plugs in, and then discard the harness that comes with the kit? And also.....is it compatible with the Panaray system and work through the CUE system as far as track selection, FF, Rewind etc? Thank you so much !!! Sal

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,025 Posts
Why go through all that trouble and expense for a CD player, when you can download all your music onto a USB thumb drive and insert it into the USB port. The USB device will hold a ton more songs than a CD. CUE will index the music and it can then be played via the radio/CUE, and music selected via CUE and the steering wheel control up/down buttons.

From the manual:

This vehicle has two USB ports in the center console. These ports are for data and charging. There are also two USB ports on the rear seat trim panel. These rear seat ports are for charging only. If equipped with Rear Seat Infotainment (RSI), there may be two USB ports in the rear media console storage area. A USB mass storage device can be connected to the USB port. Audio extensions supported by the USB are: . MP3 . WMA . AAC . OGG . AIFF . 3GPP.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for helping me. I'm worried about losing audio quality with the compressed files on a USB thumb drive with the Panaray system.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,025 Posts
I can't address the Panaray system, but on the Bose in my '19 XTS, the music sounds great (at least to my and my wife's ears, and we are both particular...fussy :)
You could always give it a try and see if it suits your sound requirements.

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.6L Platinum
47 Posts
Thank you for helping me. I'm worried about losing audio quality with the compressed files on a USB thumb drive with the Panaray system.
I wouldn't worry. I play Apple music through BT and also through Carplay. Quality is Carplay>BT>XM radio. XM is Ok, but not what it should be. Carplay is a little more robust and dynamic but BT is just fine and you really can't tell the difference if not switching back and forth. It really depends on the music itself and how it was recorded. I well-recorded track will sound awesome. You'll see what I mean when you fiddle around with it. Give it a few weeks to get your ear turned. If you then want to pursue the CD player, by all means go for it. Be aware, Panaray has its positives and negatives. I, too, hoped for a mind-blowing experience, but it was not there. It's really good but be prepared for some underwhelming days.

On a side note, switching between tracks when listening via BT is immediate. When using Carplay, there can be a delay of 10 seconds or so if tracks are switched too often. I thought a direct wire connect would be an immediate action to a reaction, but there is a lag. Go figure.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
366 Posts
You can choose a format and bitrate that will send high quality audio to your Panaray. Only penalty is it takes more memory per song on the USB.

I thought I would miss having a CD player. Getting my CD-less ATS convinced me to do my music on a SD card. Best thing, I miss CDs not at all!

I was a realist; years of loud noises like guns and open headers, plus age = my hearing isn't what it used to be. So I chose WMA and a moderate bitrate as a compromise between quality and memory space. Put my entire music collection on a SD card, sounds just fine to me.

If you are going to do this, pick a format supported by your vehicle & research USB size restrictions, if any. Suggest recording some songs with different bit rates and see if you hear any significant differences. If none, no reason not to go with the smaller memory footprint.

Mine can use either USB stick or SD card. I went with the SD as it inserts flush. I think later vehicles can't use SD cards for music. If so, there are mini USB sticks that are less intrusive.

This explains bitrate and has an interesting link to a bitrate comparison near end of article:

Review of some mini USBs:

·
Registered
2007 STS
28 Posts
Thank you for responding....I have a few questions and I'm hoping you can help. I just purchased my 2017 Platinum online and didn't receive it yet, so I don't know what the interior of the glove box looks like. I've seen two different listings on Ebay. One being just the CD player...the other includes the CD player, shelf kit and hardware...auction # 233739550405 and # 174591239954. Would you please enter the auction numbers in the search bar and see which one I would need. Also where did the wire plug into? Do I have to access the back of the infotainment system? Is it pre-wired already from the factory and simply plugs in, and then discard the harness that comes with the kit? And also.....is it compatible with the Panaray system and work through the CUE system as far as track selection, FF, Rewind etc? Thank you so much !!! Sal
First, in response to those questioning the need for a CD player. I admittedly only use the CD player less than 5% of the time I am in the car. But I have a lot of CDs that would be a pain to burn and organize (Zig Ziglar, John Maxwell, etc.) so that is what I use the CD player for. I also have the Panaray and the CD player sounds much better HANDS DOWN than any digital file. I am a big TOTO fan, and that band's live from Poland CD sounds INCREDIBLE through the CD player...much better than through my iPhone.

That said, it looks to me that both of those item numbers have what you need. The first definitely mentions the shelf and harness (both of which you will need). While the second one does not, it is shown in the photo. They came as a complete kit, so unless it was pillaged, you should be good. I would suggest contacting the seller and making sure it is all in there. If so, that's a great deal. If not, the first item is the way to do.

When you remove the small tray that is in the glove box, you will see a very small plastic cover. You will remove that and the harness will plug right into that. You will control all functions through the CUE system or steering wheel controls (except eject...that is on the player itself). It's as easy as can be to install and operate and the player should come with the instructions. Very simple. Only a few steps. And if the cabin air filter hasn't been changed, it's a great time to do that. I bought my filter from Amazon. Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
226 Posts
If you're getting a 2017 vehicle, then yours is still capable of using uncompressed AIFF or WAV files according to the manual as I recall. You could rip any CD's you wanted on a computer in either format uncompressed and load to a USB flash drive. Those files do take up more room compared to mp3's. The newer CUE/Panaray system in the 19-20 CT6's cannot play those files. Is there a big difference between those and say Apple Lossless or even high bit rate mp3's? In my experience, not all that much and in a car environment it's even harder to discern. I would like a CD player for those times I haven't ripped the disc yet and it's not on my phone or a USB drive but I have enough music that it doesn't matter at some point as I'm not in the car that long anyway.

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
226 Posts
I wouldn't worry. I play Apple music through BT and also through Carplay. Quality is Carplay>BT>XM radio. XM is Ok, but not what it should be. Carplay is a little more robust and dynamic but BT is just fine and you really can't tell the difference if not switching back and forth. It really depends on the music itself and how it was recorded. I well-recorded track will sound awesome. You'll see what I mean when you fiddle around with it. Give it a few weeks to get your ear turned. If you then want to pursue the CD player, by all means go for it. Be aware, Panaray has its positives and negatives. I, too, hoped for a mind-blowing experience, but it was not there. It's really good but be prepared for some underwhelming days.

On a side note, switching between tracks when listening via BT is immediate. When using Carplay, there can be a delay of 10 seconds or so if tracks are switched too often. I thought a direct wire connect would be an immediate action to a reaction, but there is a lag. Go figure.
In my 2020, there is very little difference between CarPlay and bluetooth assuming you have equalization off on your iPhone as that throws off the sound somewhat. But CarPlay does give you the album covers and has a nicer interface if you like that. XM is compressed too much so often a decent FM station sounds better.

As for Panaray, it could be better as you say. I had the Bose 15 speaker system on my old 2009 STS and for some music, that sounded better in regards to bass. But that can be remedied on the Panaray by using a music player on your phone with its own EQ settings like the Onyko HF player which is like iTunes but generally sounds better. The tone controls on the CT6 don't affect certain frequencies as much as I would like especially the bass. But it is still a great system and I enjoy it overall. But the Onkyo does not seem to play well with the bluetooth on the CT6 compared to iTunes but I haven't tried it lately with some of the newer iOS updates so that may have changed.

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
100 Posts
So can someone confirm they have installed a GM glove box CD player in a CT6 with the Rear Seat Infotainment system (i.e. Blu-Ray player in the center console)?

I was under the impression that the aux CD player could not be installed with the RSI.

·
Registered
2018 CT6
136 Posts
Good Morning Sal,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I got busy with another project and this one slipped my mind.

To Everyone that has been apart of this discussion,
I see all sorts of posts here talking about how the USB needs to be formatted and what file music formats should be used. Maybe you are getting your information from the Cadillac 800 number or whatever, but this is what I know because I just did some personal real investigation. I first read that the USB needs to be formatted in a FAT32 file structure. THIS IS NOT TRUE. I just formatted a 128 Gig drive as NTFS using 4K allocation units. I then placed music on this formatted drive using Windows Media player. The music I placed on the USB drive consisted of .wav and .wma type formats. The WAV files consisting of a Bit rate of 12.28 Gbps. Further I placed music on this drive using WMA formats of bit rates of 192Kbps, 128Kbps and 64 Kbps. I inserted the USB drive into a USB-A port in my center console. I turned on my vehicle. I waited for about a minute to allow the CUE system to find the drive and see what was on the drive. I hit the "BROWSE icon and I could se the music by Album, Genre, etc. All Played! I am not an audiophile and my wife says "I can't carry a tune in a bucket". Having given that caveat I can not differentiate how one format played against another. Now again my Cadillac is a 2018 CT6 Prem-Lux. It could be that different years/makes of Cadillacs have different versions of the CUE system. This may be a defining factor. But what I found is what I found.

Later today I will provide a process for using Playlists that I found works. When I first purchased this car, I struggled to get Playlists to work correctly. I called the Cadillac 800 number numerous times and got numerous different answers to my questions. I finally got a call from a "Supervisor" and she stated she had her expert with her and he specifically stated that the Drive had to be a 32 GB drive. I hung up on them and never called back. I then went to my dealer and they stated that at my next visit they would have a district manager available to address my concerns. Upon arrival i noticed a gentleman that appeared to be waiting for me. He asked what my concern was and I replied that I can not get Play lists to work. His comment was "What are Playlists?". It only went down hill from there. While in my car, apparently he had reviewed the Cadillac talking points and reiterated that the Drive HAS to be a 32 GB drive. Knowing that talking point, i pulled out a 32 GB drive. I asked if he would like to see how this drive also does not work? To that he said "It SHOULD be a 32 GB drive.". I summarily asked this gentleman to remove himself from my car. After a short discussion with a Dealer rep that I had been in conversation with regarding Cadillac's lack of knowledge regarding the Technology in their vehicles, I left.

I still have one Technology issue with the CUE system regarding using the contact list Address to find a route. When i do this function the Address displays correctly but when the Address is selected, I get an error message. I know from again my investigation what the issue is but i will be doggone if I will change the address format used in my contact list on my Android Phone. Enough said.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts