Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2012 CTS V coupe and I am not familiar with all these new electronics (TC etc). If I want to make a couple of passes at a test and tune, will a 26" tall drag radial affect the car if I have the TC off and Stabilitrac off? Since the rear tires are 26.9"tall will there be a difference. The CTS V Coupe is a 2012, 6 speed manual and pure stock. I have some OZ modular wheels that are 17x10 that I wll try to fit otherwise I will have to get some 18's. I'm hoping the 26" tall drag radials will work to give a little lower overall gear ratio for 1/4 mile use. Any tips about launching will be appreciated. I am 66 years old and have been drag racing since the mid 60's (senior year 1964) and have only had manual shift cars, so power shifting is not my problem....I just want to know the proper method for launching one of these new cars. I currently have an SRT-10 Ram (stock engine, 6-speed, lightened somewhat, runs 11.63 @118) and a 2000 Firehawk that I am having the engine rebuilt at LME in Houston (433 cubic inch LS1 , darton wet sleeve block, ETP heads, Harrop Hurricane intake), so I will be keeping the CTS V stock.

·
Registered
09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.4,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
776 Posts
a few are running the 27 inch drag radials on the 17inch rims. fwiw. the more rubber the better as you want as much flex/grab in the sidewall as possible. and just alittle friendly advice, get an air intake and an upper pulley, you'll be happy you did. :)

·
Registered
2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point I still want to keep my warranty intact, so i'm not sure about the pulley and tune, etc. Believe me I have already researched all the upgrades to get to 700+ rwhp, but for now I will keep the CTS V stock and focus on my 2000 Firehawk and the SRT-10 Ram. In fact I have just ordered a pair of Gen IV heads to be sent to Greg Good in Houston for porting, along with a custom intake and ARH 5 into 1 headers for the Ram. We will be rebuilding the stock block with forged rods and pistons and raising the compression to 11 to 1. I really don't need a third race car, but I will ask the local dealer what I will be allowed to do and still keep the warranty, maybe they will allow an Air intake, headers and a tune? We'll see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Trainman SRT-10 said:
At this point I still want to keep my warranty intact, so i'm not sure about the pulley and tune, etc. Believe me I have already researched all the upgrades to get to 700+ rwhp, but for now I will keep the CTS V stock and focus on my 2000 Firehawk and the SRT-10 Ram. In fact I have just ordered a pair of Gen IV heads to be sent to Greg Good in Houston for porting, along with a custom intake and ARH 5 into 1 headers for the Ram. We will be rebuilding the stock block with forged rods and pistons and raising the compression to 11 to 1. I really don't need a third race car, but I will ask the local dealer what I will be allowed to do and still keep the warranty, maybe they will allow an Air intake, headers and a tune? We'll see.
It won't matter as long as you turn off everything . It's not going to look for wheel spin .

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
As a drag racer, tune the desired RPMs with the tire diameter then. The gearing in these is just fine, with no holes anywhere. I can't remember if mine was near another gear, or just changed before the end.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V A6, 752 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst
1,110 Posts
Trainman,

I run MT 305/19s on the rear, along with 25" RE-11s on the front. I just turn off TC & no problems other than a light on the dash for not doing the relearn on the TPS sensors from the other set of rims/tires. I drive from Katy to Baytown & back, plus racing. Once I put the DD rims back, the light goes away. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
you wont be driving either one of those other options much once you get use to the V. it may be all wasted time and money, time will tell.

·
Registered
2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you wont be driving either one of those other options much once you get use to the V. it may be all wasted time and money, time will tell.
I think you're wrong there. I really appreciate the smooth ride and effortless power of the CTS V......but on the other hand I really have fun in the Ram....it is such a beast...even with the pure stock engine. The Firehawk ran 11.80 @ 120.22 with just a mild heads and cam package (446 rwhp) and now it will be in the 650 rwhp range, plus lighter weight, better suspension (drag race style) and could possibly be in the high 9 second range. The Ram will have another 200 rwhp after the rebuild, and should be deep in the 10's (currently running [email protected] with 510rwhp). So you can see I enjoy all three, plus I have my original 1964 GTO in storage to restore, and a 1973 SD455 Formula (1 of 43) being restored right now. And believe it or not , cars are my second priority.....first hobby love is collecting old toy trains....which I have over 2000 items in the collection. I really do enjoy the CTS V, had it about 3 weeks, already taken one road trip up to Santa Clara (train show) and the car has just over 1500 miles. It feels nearly as fast as my Ram in a straight line (once the tires stop spinning). I think my first modification will be a set of wheels (wider in the rear) and some 305, 315, or 345 series tires on the back. I'm checking on the possibility of using a 345-30-19 (I know some people on here have used a 345-25-20 (or 345-30-20)) so I'm hoping I can get the 19" to work.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've had a long list of cars in my day,(28) and one thing i cant do is enjoy old technology once I've experienced new technology. with the caddy you can easily beat your two other options and still go to church on Sunday (if thats your thing). the firechicken and the ram would collect dust/rust in my father in-laws yard(meaning, i would give the headache to him free of charge) if they were in my possession. you cant even compare the ride and feel of those cars with the V. your Cadillac is as fast as your race car is bone stock. with a air intake and pulley you'll never drive that car again as what would be the point? in any event i'm just jerking your chain, ( kind of ) and wish you well in your future builds and projects. :) by spring you'll be whistling a different tune. no need to say, i told you so. ;)

not sure if you know or not but there are several daily driven 2nd gen (auto) V's in the 9's. all are stock weight sedans and all have full interiors,electronics, and suspensions (save for 1). stick cars dont make the grade in this new world of "technology". fun to drive, but slow as molasses. haha.

·
Registered
2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 66 years old, and pretty set in my ways. Automatics are fast and consistent....but BORING. Sorry, I will stay with my stick shift cars. Hey everyone is different...you enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I think you're wrong there. I really appreciate the smooth ride and effortless power of the CTS V......but on the other hand I really have fun in the Ram....it is such a beast...even with the pure stock engine. The Firehawk ran 11.80 @ 120.22 with just a mild heads and cam package (446 rwhp) and now it will be in the 650 rwhp range, plus lighter weight, better suspension (drag race style) and could possibly be in the high 9 second range. The Ram will have another 200 rwhp after the rebuild, and should be deep in the 10's (currently running [email protected] with 510rwhp). So you can see I enjoy all three, plus I have my original 1964 GTO in storage to restore, and a 1973 SD455 Formula (1 of 43) being restored right now. And believe it or not , cars are my second priority.....first hobby love is collecting old toy trains....which I have over 2000 items in the collection. I really do enjoy the CTS V, had it about 3 weeks, already taken one road trip up to Santa Clara (train show) and the car has just over 1500 miles. It feels nearly as fast as my Ram in a straight line (once the tires stop spinning). I think my first modification will be a set of wheels (wider in the rear) and some 305, 315, or 345 series tires on the back. I'm checking on the possibility of using a 345-30-19 (I know some people on here have used a 345-25-20 (or 345-30-20)) so I'm hoping I can get the 19" to work.
Can we call you Sheldon?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts