Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the threads and couldn't find an answer to my question.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm currently underway on a ship so I'm unable to read my owner's manual to see if this is explained there. Here's the deal:

About a week ago the car needed to be jump started. Since then it's been kind of weak starting. (I'm sure I need to replace the battery when I get home next week) After the car is running a message comes on that says Service Theft System and the Security light stays on. Is this related to the weak battery or is there another problem that needs to be taken care of?

Thanks in advance.

Jim :confused:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
My guess is that its related to the battery deal....... Low power can cause all sorts of gremlins......

Id get that battery replaced ASAP, because a weak battery will KILL an alternator.........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

That's kind of what I thought too. There's not much I can do about it until next week when I get back. Hawaii is hell on batterys. About the most life you can expect to get out of one is 3 years. Almost like clock work. I don't know if it's the constant heat, the short driving distances or a combination of both.

Thanks again

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One follow up question

What can I expect to happen when I disconnect the battery? Will this have an effect of the Anti Theft System? Will it mess up the onboard computer?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Re: One follow up question

Nope....... No harm......

In fact, sometimes unplugging the battery HELPS...... It allows the computer to kind of reset itself and relearn everything.........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet! :cool:

What I don't remember is if the security was set on the sound system or not. I know that on my Suburban if you disconnect the battery it locks it up. This will pose a minor setback seeings that the dealer I bought the car from didn't give me the code to unlock it. Hopefully they will give it up without too much grief.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Obviously, by unplugging the battery you will have to reset all your preset stations, seat memory, etc........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I didn't think of that, but that's a pretty minor thing to deal with. That's pretty small price to pay for having so many bells and wistles. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
2 Participants
Jimi