Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be moving soon to Colorado (Ft collins area) and i wanted to know what is the proper way to take care of the V up there.

Due to the elavation is there:

1 a differrance in oil changes?
2 gas; I use Sunoco 94 here in Cincy and up there in Colo all they have is 91.Do i need to ad fuel additives or anything else for fule sake?.

Anything else i should know on what to expect on the V.

Thx guys

steve :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also is there anyone that can give me a good dealer in the Ft collins/denver Area????

I done a check on the FAQ and found no Colorado dealer rezults.

Oh and the Ft collins area is about 5000ft OSL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I live in Denver Colorado which is roughly the same elevation. THere is nothing special that you need to do in terms of service and oil changes. One nice thing is that we don't salt our roads so the bottom of your car won't rust like in OH. As to the gas, it is 91 Octane which is not as big a deal as it sounds the thinner air doesn't require as much knock resistance in the fuel. One big issue is that you drop 5% of your power per 1000' if memory serves. In any event, your tire smoking beast will be a lot more tame up here but still plenty of fun!

No tips on a dealer, only for the Boulder/Denver area which would be McCaddon. Those guys seem to be awesome!

BTW, If your paint is mint, get a clear-bra put on the car that includes the headlights, mirrors, A pillars and fog lights. This will keep the car looking great, otherwise your paint will get chipped!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I live in Loveland, CO. Chris Cook, service manager at McCaddon in Boulder, is great.

Best Mods

1) UUC Shifter
2) GM Wheel Hop Kit
3) Maggie/Exhaust (a cure for altitude sickness)
4) DiabloSport Tune (Johan Mangs knows his stuff!)

Check out this site for a local source for the Maggie. www.engineeredperformancesolutions.com Mike Lyons, is awesome.

We should plan a northern CO V meet??

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mcarter said:
I live in Loveland, CO. Chris Cook, service manager at McCaddon in Boulder, is great.

Best Mods

1) UUC Shifter
2) GM Wheel Hop Kit
3) Maggie/Exhaust (a cure for altitude sickness)
4) DiabloSport Tune (Johan Mangs knows his stuff!)

Check out this site for a local source for the Maggie. www.engineeredperformancesolutions.com Mike Lyons, is awesome.

We should plan a northern CO V meet??

Mike
Heck Ya!! we should meet.

My brother lives in loveland so thats a no brainer to hook up.Im looking at the end of this month or begining of NOV.I'll keep ya posted.:cheers:

As far as your list:

1) UUC Shifter--Wanting it sooo bad but hav'nt got around to this mod.
2) GM Wheel Hop Kit-- Already got it :thumbsup:
3) Maggie/Exhaust (a cure for altitude sickness)--A maggie is something that i have contiplated doing but its expensive and depending on the dealer it could void out some warrentee.Awsome mod but i hav'nt done a $600 short throw shifter yet (UUC) So the maggie is a big step for me indeed.
Exhaust--Im workin on it :sneaky:
4) DiabloSport Tune (Johan Mangs knows his stuff!)--ive hear good things about it but if & when i do go into the PCM tuning world theres only one guy i'll be dealing with and thats Rick AKA Stealth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blacksport350 said:
I live in Denver Colorado which is roughly the same elevation. THere is nothing special that you need to do in terms of service and oil changes. One nice thing is that we don't salt our roads so the bottom of your car won't rust like in OH. As to the gas, it is 91 Octane which is not as big a deal as it sounds the thinner air doesn't require as much knock resistance in the fuel. One big issue is that you drop 5% of your power per 1000' if memory serves. In any event, your tire smoking beast will be a lot more tame up here but still plenty of fun!

No tips on a dealer, only for the Boulder/Denver area which would be McCaddon. Those guys seem to be awesome!

BTW, If your paint is mint, get a clear-bra put on the car that includes the headlights, mirrors, A pillars and fog lights. This will keep the car looking great, otherwise your paint will get chipped!
Thanks for the Heads up info.
Well my V is only a summer ride so winter snowy roads are not an issue.
Its a bummer that'll ill be expecting a loss in power even if it is minimmal.
Does fuel boosters or additives help?.
Why is paint chipping so much a issue up there?.
I'll be sure to check out McCaddon Chris Cook, service manager.

You denver/loveland guys are cool and we realy should get a northern COLO meet.

This is the reason why i support the forum and FAQ you guys are great.

Thanks :cheers: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I'm in for a meet. For a while I thought I was the only Colo guy on this site. I left another message for Mcarter on another thread butgot most of my answers here . I would like to see that maggie,etc . The advice everyone has given so far is right on the money about Colo and the care and feeding of your V up here. Jeff
 

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Hey fellas,

I live in Arvada, CO and I go to Medved Cadillac (Wheatridge) and they are great to work with, (Tim Wilt is da man). Also, in reference to the above question, Medved will install a Maggie and NOT void your warranty. Also, I think it would be great to have a Colorado meet, but let's do it quick before the snow flies, my V is getting garaged for the winter.:cool2:

C.J.
 

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
I just spent two years in Boulder, and the advice to get a Clear Bra is excellent. They don't salt the roads there, but they sure do (liberally--no pun intended Boulderites!) apply sand, which includes lots of little gravel. Your car will be pock-marked in no time; windshields take a beating too. On the plus side, most of the powdery snow doesn't stick on the busy roads and just blows away as cars pass over it. So even though it may snow heavily, the roads clear up really quick. The other big danger is the Denver area has had a huge influx of new residents, many of whom overate their winter driving abilities. You gotta watch out for them --especially in their SUVs which don't stop much better than anyone else. There are some great drives in the Denver area, so be prepared to give your V a workout! Enjoy!!
 

·
Registered
CTS-V
Joined
·
12 Posts
Everyone's advice is great. I spent 7 years in Denver and would like to add the following:

Even if your car is a Summer car, still keep in mind the sand (which is more of a fine gravel) that they use in the winter. It is amazing how late in the year it stays around. Consider the possiblity of going to a different tire, because in the high country you can get a freak snow storm that could catch you out as late as May and as early as September quite easily.

Also, expect a slight drop in gas mileage. Not catastrophic, but don't be surprised if you never get the fuel mileage that you got at sea level.

While you will drop 3% in horsepower for every 1,000 feet, keep in mind that everyone else does unless their car is supercharged or turbocharged. They still suffer a drop in power but is not quite as drastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
steve711 said:
Thanks for the Heads up info.
Well my V is only a summer ride so winter snowy roads are not an issue.
Its a bummer that'll ill be expecting a loss in power even if it is minimmal.
Does fuel boosters or additives help?.
Why is paint chipping so much a issue up there?.
I'll be sure to check out McCaddon Chris Cook, service manager.
GET THE CLEAR BRA! :thepan: honestly, any car in Colorado even if only driven in the summer will get trashed without a clear-bra. I have actually gotten some of my worst road rash over the years in our many summer wind storms!

Ditto on James Cook, just dropped the V off with him this morning!

So who's going to organive a CO V meet, that would be awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
midwestern Values said:
Everyone's advice is great. I spent 7 years in Denver and would like to add the following:

Even if your car is a Summer car, still keep in mind the sand (which is more of a fine gravel) that they use in the winter. It is amazing how late in the year it stays around. Consider the possiblity of going to a different tire, because in the high country you can get a freak snow storm that could catch you out as late as May and as early as September quite easily.

Also, expect a slight drop in gas mileage. Not catastrophic, but don't be surprised if you never get the fuel mileage that you got at sea level.

While you will drop 3% in horsepower for every 1,000 feet, keep in mind that everyone else does unless their car is supercharged or turbocharged. They still suffer a drop in power but is not quite as drastic.

Thx for the info
I am a little scared to see how the V will run up there with the 3% hp per 1000 drop.
I know how the weather could be up there.
I was visiting Ft collins when my Brother had his first baby girl, and at that time i was there you guys had the worst snow storm in like 30 years or something like that.2 to 3 feet of powder dropped in like 3 to 4 days in the 03 season. :bonkers:

That sand i will deffinitly keep an eye out for and i will make shure not! to drive the V-machine then.

Gas is going to be even worse hu ? just when i thought my milage wasnt that bad at 19 average hwy milage :banghead:

Thx for all the head up's fellus :highfive:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
A Northern CO V meet sounds good. There's a ton of places around Flat Iron Crossing (big mall just south of Boulder on 36) to hook up. I've got the TX/OU (Go Horns!) game this weekend. What about Oct 22-23 or 29-30? November can work as well.

I'd love to show off the Maggie and there's a great story about how I got it that won't be posted on this site. I really want to ride in a blown V with the Stealth Tune. I've heard only positive things about his tunes, except the mileage. Does he run really rich??

my email is [email protected]
 

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
The last weekend in October sounds good to me for a V owner's meet.:alchi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I could come to a meet at Flatirons on Sunday of either of those weekends but not Saturday as that is a work day for me.

FWIW, There is a Wahoos across the street from the mall that has always made for a good Audi Club gathering spot.
 

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
Joined
·
590 Posts
mcarter said:
I live in Loveland, CO. Chris Cook, service manager at McCaddon in Boulder, is great.

Best Mods

1) UUC Shifter
2) GM Wheel Hop Kit
3) Maggie/Exhaust (a cure for altitude sickness)
4) DiabloSport Tune (Johan Mangs knows his stuff!)

Check out this site for a local source for the Maggie. www.engineeredperformancesolutions.com Mike Lyons, is awesome.

We should plan a northern CO V meet??

Mike
Learn something everyday. I live in Parker and I had not heard of Engineered Performance Solutions. I'll need to check them out. I got my V at Don Massey in Lonetree. They will install a Maggie for ~$7500 but I have been waiting to see how the drive train holds up based on feedback on this site. I have lived in Colorado most of my life and have driven cars with superchargers to make up for some of the altitude penalty.

Let's all meet up somewhere for a Colorado V Octoberfest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would sure love to meet you guys!

I too would Kill!!! to drive/ride a V with a maggie/stealth tune.

But i doubt that i'll be able to make this one as i will probably be there at the end of the month and then the time needed to get the family (wife & kids) situated will hardly leave any time for me until atleast the mid of Nov.

But i mite be able to swing it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
I live on the other side of the Rockies (in Utah) but I can tell you the V doesn't care what altitude it is at and yes 91 is about the highest octane you will find around here. You really don't need more.

I drove to Denver in August and had a blast with the V. It made a Audi A4 look like a Civic climbing near the Eisenhower Tunnel on I 70.

Take a trip up Mt Evans. You'll have more problems with being at 14,000 feet than the V will. I wouldn't push the car too hard though. One mistake by you and you'll be with the birds for a few thousand feet.

Late/early snow storms are common here in Utah. Snow level is around 6500 feet now. They seem to plow the roads better in Colorado and Utah. I really never seen them use sand that much here. The roads are usually clear a couple hours after it snows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
A meet at Flatirons would be close for me ,and the end of Oct or early Nov on a Sun. should work for me. LIke everyone a ride in a Supercharged V would be great . Just to see and hear one in person would be of help, along with owner input on what its like to drive one on a day to day basis.Jeff
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top