Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw another thread about someone running QA1 shocks and then the car coming out lower afterwards. I thought this was the job of the spring... What gives..

Also, I am looking to replace my FE4s with something adjustable. I want to retain all my factory looks and ride..

Also, anyone else with a set of front and rear strut bars notice the ride is harsher? Bit more firm out back than it used to be?

·
Registered
CTS-V
469 Posts
I still have stock FE4 shocks,
BUT I do the have the rear strut brace>>>>> no change in harseness of ride due to the bar..
i have the hoch sway bars and car feels MUCH better in the corners...

I too am figuring out QA1's too......wish my FE4 would fail...
"....honey need to replace the shocks in the car, be back in a couple hours...."

--Jerry

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
FE4 and FG2s, the rear shocks self adjust. I think the QA1s are actually shorter than the stock shocks.

I went from FE4s to FG2 and ground control at the same time. Ride really isn't too bad, and it handles much better. You probably have MUCH better roads than I do in NYC. I'm sure the ride wont bother you. If you want stock height, FG2s are the way to go.

P

·
0 Posts
Mine slammed down about 2 extra inches in the front and 1 in the rear with simply swapping the FE4's to QA1's.

·
Registered
none yet
16 Posts
What is a better strut to go with fe4 or fg2 or the qa1? I have a maggie on my 05 and about to order some Ground control Coil Overs. I think i Have Fg2s on the car now. I plan to lower the car some for Handling. Not really sure what a FG2 and a FE4 is. I think the FE4 is the strut it self and the FG2 is the complete strute spring and everything but i could be totally wrong. Can you help me understand all this and guide me to what the best route to go? :worship:

·
Registered
none yet
16 Posts
Man I have the FG2 is that the ones you want to have for the Ground Control Suspension? and What spring rates are Prefered?
That Faq Page is awsome thank you for the link. Sorry for the dumb Questions Thank you again

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
I really like the feel of my FG2s but I'm not sure they are worth the $$$ when compared to the QA1s and the longevity...

I have less than 40k on the FG2s (no racing and no pot holes) and the fronts are shot. The kicker is GM doesn't want to sell replacements unless you buy all 4!

·
Registered
Cadillac
22 Posts
I have less than 40k on the FG2s (no racing and no pot holes) and the fronts are shot. The kicker is GM doesn't want to sell replacements unless you buy all 4!
You can get FG2 shocks separate. Front 88962952 Rear 88962954.
These part numbers are for one shock not pairs.

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
ok i'm gonna finally order up my qa1's....

question for the guys running them... i am going to run factory springs for now (even though ride may suck). if i order the eibachs can i run them as the factory ones are ( strut in front and non-coilover in back)? because eventually i want to get GC or another type of spring

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should probably explain. I am trying to look as factory as possible outside. I want stock height and semi close to stock ride feel. A slight increase in dampening maybe, but nothing serious. I like the ride and the car is pulling exceptionally well through the turns.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
150 Posts
You can get FG2 shocks separate. Front 88962952 Rear 88962954.
These part numbers are for one shock not pairs.
Yes I am aware the shocks have different part numbers and so is the Cadillac dealer where my car has been sitting for a month waiting on a single shock that exists only in a part number.

Luke at Lindsey confirmed that GM does not want to sell single FG2s and he went to the area GM rep to see what he could do. It sure would be nice if one of the vendors on this forum would sell Sachs products like the FG2 which is a good shock. Maybe GM has exclusive rights to sell the FG2.

I assume the QA1 shocks can be bought in singles if you have one go bad.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts