Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 coupe and did a wheel exchange with US Wheels for the black chrome PVD. Had my local caddy dealership mount and balance them and shipped my old wheels back as core. I have had then on my car for several WEEKS now and while making a sharp right hand turn the left front wheel failed. I mean it stretched bending 7 of the 10 spokes causing the barrel to pull inward striking the spindle. Had it towed back to same dealer and they refused to cover the structurally failed wheel due to the aftermarket PVD coating applied. Called US Whhel and Winona PVD and you guessed it "it's a GM issue" not the GM approved PVD company or the heating process. Long story paid 1300 to have car fixed and new PVD wheel installed which the dealer did with no problems. Anyone seen this or know someone that had a wheel fail. No dents no pot hole just bent inward due to the stress of the weight over the wheel during 30 mph turn ??

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Yes, on ***************......same issue I believe.

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
The problem with exchange wheels is that you have no idea what they have been through before you got them. I don't blame GM for not covering them, and truthfully, they could have been repaired, cracked or otherse faulty before US Wheel even processed them. I assume US Wheel has no system in place to check wheel integrity when they receive them (i.e. magnafluxing, etc.).
Sorry that happened, but glad you're ok.

·
Registered
12 Wagon Hennessey 700, SB wheels, Corsa
160 Posts
As a retired aircraft component repair executive, It's hard to believe that a company would accept exchange cores without a qualified receiving inspection. We would often reject cores with an advance understanding with the customer that the price goes up if things aren't right. But I must say, we would not ship our unit until core integrity was established. That's probably not the case here.

Nobody wants bad cores in an exchange pool for products that can bring forth liability.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,168 Posts
Powdercoating cures around 390-400 degrees F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts