Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum but have been lurking here for several weeks. Finally decided to make the plunge and buy a 2012 SRX Luxury. As with any used car there are some issues I need to take care of. I've searched for all this stuff, but not found the answers. I'm sure they are here, but I just haven't found them. I'm hoping one of you seasoned SRX fans can point me in the right direction.

1. I only got one key fob and need to get another as soon as possible. I've looked on ebay and see generic fobs for as low as $25. I also see some that appear to be OEM for around a hundred dollars or so. My question is are the cheap ones any good? I see that some seem to have a lot of trouble programming them. My other question is it looks like the ebay GM replacements don't have the hidden key part. Seems like I'd want to have that key/blade thing and even if the fob works without it, there'd be a big hole in the bottom that would collect lint.

2. My other concern is there are two scuffed chrome wheels that I'd like to do something about. I see what looks like hubcaps on ebay, but I'm thinking they may need to be glued on or are they simply hubcaps? What's the best/cheapest way to get my SRX looking like new again? This is the only flaw on the car and it really bugs me.

Thanks in advance.

Mike - HoosierCaddy

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I sent that vendor a message with my VIN. My particular model/year is not on the list it says it will fit. Sure would be nice to have a cheap extra fob.

·
Registered
Mine is a '18 CT6 Platinum and wifes is '14 SRX
76 Posts
For the rims, your best bet would probably be try to find used wheels on e-bay or one of the recyclers / craigslist. The chrome ones cost more to refinish than buying used. Don't think "hub caps" will work on the OEM chrome wheels.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be wrong, but it looks like these wheels have plastic wheel covers from the factory. I don't think refinishing is an option on this type. I'm thinking all may need are "skins." There is actually a couple of listings here in the classifieds of guys selling their extras. I just am wondering if they are actually attached to the wheels or if they just pop off like a hubcap.

To clarify, I'm not sure if I have the Luxury edition or the Premium. Maybe that is why you think the rims I have are chromed from the factory. When I insured the car the VIN came up with a message saying Premium package, but the car was sold to me as a Luxury edition. Anybody know how to tell for sure?

Many thanks for the help and sorry to ask all these dumb questions.

·
Registered
Mine is a '18 CT6 Platinum and wifes is '14 SRX
76 Posts
Pretty sure you stated in the original post that the rims were chrome.

"2. My other concern is there are two scuffed chrome wheels that I'd like to do something about. I see what looks like hubcaps on ebay, but I'm thinking they may need to be glued on or are they simply hubcaps? What's the best/cheapest way to get my SRX looking like new again? This is the only flaw on the car and it really bugs me."

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
820 Posts
The Premiums and only the Premiums have the rear climate controls (tri-zone climate). If you have controls on the back of the center console, for backseat temp, airflow control, heated outboard backseats, etc then you have a Premium. Otherwise it's a base, Luxury, or Performance.

The 2012 chrome wheels are the "chrome-tech" type, which is a chromed plastic face bonded to the metal wheel. Can't be easily refinished to my knowledge. People are pissed w/ GM over the chrome-techs. Selling "chrome" wheels which really weren't chromed in the true sense.

Max

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I now know what I have. It does have those controls in the back. Sheesh, Caddy sure piled the gadgets on these cars.

So how do I change these skins? I see what appears to be replacement skins fairly reasonable on ebay. Seems that would have to be simpler than chasing down a good pair of scrapyard rims.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, guess I worded that poorly.

Pretty sure you stated in the original post that the rims were chrome.

"2. My other concern is there are two scuffed chrome wheels that I'd like to do something about. I see what looks like hubcaps on ebay, but I'm thinking they may need to be glued on or are they simply hubcaps? What's the best/cheapest way to get my SRX looking like new again? This is the only flaw on the car and it really bugs me."

·
Registered
10 SRX
407 Posts
iT'S very easy to program a new key fob and yes, the inexpensive one's on ebay work fine. As for the wheels... I believe you have 20 inch, they have plastic clad covers which can be purchased new also on ebay for about $50 each. You'll probably destroy the old ones getting them off with a chisel then you can put the new ones on with silicone caulk. (Ive done both of these things with not much difficulties.) This may be what you are looking for? https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-CHROME-SRX-20-Full-Wheel-Skins-Wheel-Covers-Fits-Cadillac-Srx-Rim-Hub-Cap/143201711955?hash=item21577cb753:g:HgQAAOSwfTlco3Kc

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. It's nice to know that their are lower priced alternatives to high dollar OEM replacement parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts