Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading around a bit about getting more wheel clearance, as well as getting rear disc brakes. So just wanted to make sure I've understood everything right.

I'm planning on picking up a rearend off a caprice cop car. To my understanding all I would really need to do is extend the trailing arms to mount it? To make the brakes work it should just hook up with the caprice's brake lines correct? I just need to run a parking line, and some other stuff if I actually want the abs to work?

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I'm not intending to 3 wheel or hop btw. I just plan on bagging on 7's.

----------

Also I've heard there is adjustable trailing arms, but having a real hard time finding where to buy them, and links to anything I would need would be awesome, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,736 Posts
You don't have to do anything to the trailing arms to mount it. The 9C1 94-96 rear from an Lt1 car will be 3.08 gears, but doesn't get stock posi. It was optional, SPID code G80. The rear is slight;y narrower than the 94-96 Impala SS rear (and that got stock posi, along with the same 3.08 gears). HOWEVER, those cars are three channel ABS. Your Fleetwood is four channel ABS. You will lose ABS function (and traction control) if you swap rears. You can't modify (easily) the Caprice/Impala rear for ABS function. Your Fleetwood uses different axles with a sensor at each wheel, while the B body (Caprice/Impala) has one sensor on the pinion shaft.

Any trailing arms for the Impala SS/Caprice will work on your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The abs and traction isn't much of an issue. This is prob a dumb question but I couldn't just put my posi in with the caprice? As for the ss, I believe it also comes with rear disks correct? And so I should just be able to hook it up or need something else to do for the disks to work? As for the trailing arms, on layitlow pretty much anyone that has done the swaps with g bodies or whatever had to extend the trailing arms to fit.

Here's some info I looked up really quick...
a g-body rearend is 1.5 inches shorter on each side and the only mod you have to do is lengthen the top trailing arms 2 inches cause the mounts are closer together. Yes the drive shaft bolts right up. You have to grind the bushings alittle on the lower trailing arms cause they are alittle wider than g-body ones. And drill the factory holes in the lower mount out to 9/16 cause the big body bolts are bigger.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,736 Posts
Your Cadillac doesn't have posi, it wasn't even an option.

The G body has nothing to do with your swap. Your Caddy is a D body, and you want a rear out of a B body (Caprice/Impala). It is the exact same mounting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm trying to get a shortened rearend, if the b bodies have the same length then they arent an option. I've read the cop cars were shorter almost like the g bodies in length, and since they actually have disc brakes thats why i was considering that one.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,736 Posts
This will clear everything up for you. Don't even consider a G body rear (unless it is an 8.5" from a T Type/GN), your Caddy will destroy a little 7.5".

Your rear end is the narrow width, the same as the Caprice police 9C1.

Chevy
91-92 sedan
1566mm - narrow (all)

93-96 sedan
1566mm - narrow (9C1 - disc & drum & some other drum applications)
1598mm - wide (Impala SS - disc & B4U - drum)

Buick 91-96 & Fleetwood 93-96 sedans
1566mm - narrow (all)
NOTE: Fleetwood housing is unique to the application - 4-channel ABS provisions

91-96 wagon, all
1642.5mm

All 93-96 7.625" (ring gear) housings are 1598mm wide (Chevy sedan only)

Sedan housings, in both widths, have the same lower control arm bracket location/spread distance, and will fit any other sedan frame. Wagons have a wider spread distance (approx. 2") between lower control arm brackets on housing, and corresponding wider frame lower control arm mounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts