Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T
470 Posts
Well seeing that you really don't need your key for anything except locking out valet.. I keep my key in there. That way when I pull up to valet, its easy to flip the switch and lock the box (trunk access door also if not already locked) without having to pull key off my keychain.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 Lux, 2011 Escalade EXT Prem
283 Posts
Two problems with that:
1) If your car battery dies and power door locks don't work, you can't get into the car to pop the trunk and jump it.
2) When the lithium battery dies in the keyless entry transponder thingy, you can't get into the car, where I keep my spare lithium battery (in the little compartment in the glove box)

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts
Are you talking about the small shelf at the top? If so, the owner's manual packet fits perfectly in there.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
1. The only way to open the trunk of an STS is either electronically from outside, the driver's door button, or through the pass-thru. You can not use a key from the rear. However, why do I want to get in my truck if I have a dead battery?

2. If I want to steal your wheels, I need your wheel lock key. Since most people keep the key in the glove box, theives know this, so a smashed window will do the trick. I hide mine in the tire wheel well in the runk and give it to the mechanic if I am having tire service done. It ain't perfect, but my loss is a window and not four wheels and tires.

·
Registered
'06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2
242 Posts
If you mean the small covered compartment in the glove box door, I called the customer assistance center and asked about it. They called me back the next day to tell me it is just a small inconspicuous compartment for which Cadillac has no particular intended purpose. (Shhh. I keep a folded-up $50 bill in there just in case I find my money clip empty at an inopportune moment.)

·
Registered
470 Posts
1. Thats why I have a second key (car comes with 2) at home that I am able to use in case of battery problems... Lets be real though, 99% of the time you are going to know ahead of time if your battery is starting to die, before it actually does. Especially with the technology that automatically kills the power drain after x minutes of turning off the car (no more draining of battery due to leaving headlights, interior lights, etc. on). In the case my battery was dying, I would simply make sure I have the key on me... Or better yet I think I can afford a new battery to replace the old one before it dies.

2. The DIC will tell you when the FOB's battery is getting low.. Change it before it dies completely!

I really don't see any reason other than possible car battery problem's for carrying the key on your person. In that case, your should realize before hand if your battery is having issues... Just my thought anyways.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Also, don't know if this is true, as I don't subscribe to onstar after the trial, I have heard that the onstar unit has it's own "backup" battery in case of battery issues they can still run diagnostics/tracking/assistance..again don't know if it does, but if that is the case you could always give them a call to unlock your car..pop your trunk... just another thought.... Man I'm having lots of those today..

·
Registered
'06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2
242 Posts
... Lets be real though, 99% of the time you are going to know ahead of time if your battery is starting to die, before it actually does.
:nono: I don't think so...

I refer you to two threads in this forum: 06 STS Battery Problems - help !! and What's wrong with my battery ?

At least some STS batteries die (fail to start the car) suddenly and without warning. Mine did. I have a new battery.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think the keyword there is "few". I would bet that it is a very small percentage that has problems like that. Nothings perfect, hence the 99%... You would fall into that 1%. Ok maybe more like 96%, but still very small.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS cherry bomb
59 Posts
:cloud9: That little shelf
thing-a-ma-bob is really handy !

I keep my stash and prophylactics there so I'm always ready for a party.
I tried to fit the owners' manual in there as suggested but when it's in
the dealer supplied leatherette binder it won't fit worth a hoot.

If you're not the party-at-any-time type, you could put your driving
gloves there since it is a glove box. Always happy to help.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
522 Posts
It's strange they add something as useless as this to the glovebox of the new STS, yet remove something like the under hood light that the previous generation had. We're talking about that little compatment on the door of the glovebox, and not the shelf inside the glovebox, right? :confused:

My owner's manual fits OK on that shelf inside the glovebox.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
You can use it for whatever. Hiding crack, keys, change, fuses, etc. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't think "hide" is the correct word. I say this because it is not really hidden. I made a wrong turn trying to get on the highway once, ended up going down a fire alley in the projects (this is before I had NAV). Apparently there had just been a shooting, I had never seen so many cops and cop cars before in my life. Well they see this white guy driving a real nice car in the ghetto, and stop my ass. Of course they dont buy the "i made a wrong turn, im lost" thing, as they have probably heard that a thousand times. Anyways, long story short, they pull me out, call over the detective narcos and start asking me where the blow is at, telling me that they'll smack the shit out of me (south side chicago narc cops, love to see my tax dollars hard at work). Search the hell out of my car.. They pull any panel that is free, such as the fuse panels. to check for stuff... So if I was you I wouldn't be "hiding" anything I don't want someone to find in such an easily seen spot...If a cop is going to search your car I'm sure that will be one of the first places he/she looks. just my opinion.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,131 Posts
:confused: If the glove box door compartment is about 2"x5"x1 1/2" deep, it's for a mini-Kleenex pack. Look in your local big-box car accessory outlet.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
522 Posts
:confused: If the glove box door compartment is about 2"x5"x1 1/2" deep, it's for a mini-Kleenex pack. Look in your local big-box car accessory outlet.
I didn't realize that there was 2 compartments in the glovebox door until reading your post. I think you are correct about the oval shaped one on the right side. It looks just about the right size for one of those mini-kleenix packs. I'll have to give that a try.

The compartment on the left side of the glovebox door is smaller and has it's own door on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts