Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yeah my cadillac cts didnt come with an ahstray or a lighter and if you wanted one you had to wait 2-3 weeks for them to order you one! I dont smoke but my dad and some of my friends do...the nice thing is without an ashtray or lighter people feel bad about smoking in it!

·
Registered
99 STS
103 Posts
Obesiety causes as much or more time off work due to health problems than smokeing.
I would like to see how our nieghbors to the north handle that problem.
Ever notice how some hospitals make their employees go out on the curb, off hospital property, to have a cig. If it were really for healths sake and not just being PC they would make the fat asses eat their pie on the curb also.
What do you think, should we ban or just heavily tax "all you can eat buffets"?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
kempie said:
I say...." Mind your own business and let other people do to themselves what they want! " We spend far too much time in this country trying to make our neighbors behave as we think they should....I don't care if you Smoke, Drink, Eat too much, Walk around your house naked with the drapes open or whatever YOU want to do. It isn't nor should I try to make it my business!

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I gave up cigarettes on 12/31/96. Never looked back. I smoked about 30 a day, sometimes more. Unfortunately, about six months later I took these things up:

I only smoke 4 or 5 of them a day. It's probably just as bad, if not worse as 30-40 cigarettes were. I'm gearing up to quit again. My father is 63 and won't quit. I hope I can inspire him with my new workout regimen that I've started.

Everyone in my family smoked. Mom went cold turkey on 7/4/85. Hasn't had one since.

One grandfather died an invalid, a combination of arthritis and a barely functioning ticker. One grandmother died of emphysema, the other had a massive coronary, and she had quit at least 10 years earlier. The other grandfather had lung cancer, and had quit smoking 25 years earlier because he had throat cancer.

Nicotine has got to be the most addictive drug on the market. If suing tobacco companies and regulating and taxing them so heavily helps to prevent future generations from dying that slow death, so be it. I wish that I had had a few more years with my grandparents. Three of the four were gone before I was 21.

I wish I had never started. [/end sermon]

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
To me, this passage from the Declaration of Independence doesn't mean we have a "right" to do whatever we want. It means we have the right to lead a free and happy life, characterized by well-being and contentment and equal with that of all other citizens. It is the function of the Government we elect to determine the course of society while securing our rights. People should not make the mistake of thinking their actions do not affect the rest of the society, because often they do. The "rights" of the individual must be taken in context with the "needs" of the society as a whole.

Please keep the drapes closed when walking around naked in the house.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
kempie said:
Obesiety causes as much or more time off work due to health problems than smokeing.
I would like to see how our nieghbors to the north handle that problem.
Ever notice how some hospitals make their employees go out on the curb, off hospital property, to have a cig. If it were really for healths sake and not just being PC they would make the fat asses eat their pie on the curb also.
If you are implying we have more obesity up here, possibly due to winter months, you are correct! 50% (literally) of Canadians are obese and I know it is due to the weather. This silly country is "handeling" it very badly! We used to have government paid commercials called "Participaction" and they got rid of them. Mind you, that just raised taxes! People really cannot blame anyone but themselves, and IMO there is no excuse for obesity in warmer climates, eh KC?:D

You are correct about obesity, it causes more deaths through heart disease than cancer, smoking, etc, etc. I think too many people are on computers, Playstations, and cut physical education programs in elementary school. Exercise should be promoted, but it doesn't mean people will follow.:mad: Why are we talking about this again?:confused:

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
the Sandman said:
To me, this passage from the Declaration of Independence doesn't mean we have a "right" to do whatever we want. It means we have the right to lead a free and happy life, characterized by well-being and contentment and equal with that of all other citizens. It is the function of the Government we elect to determine the course of society while securing our rights. People should not make the mistake of thinking their actions do not affect the rest of the society, because often they do. The "rights" of the individual must be taken in context with the "needs" of the society as a whole.

Please keep the drapes closed when walking around naked in the house.
Good intelligent post.:)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The more dense the population becomes, the greater the impact will be on those around you from your actions.
It's ridiculous to think that in this day and age, ANYBODY can exist without having some kind of impact on those around them.
As our population gets larger, it forces us to live in ever tighter areas, which further increases the need for us all to learn to co-habitate. Unfortunately, our society has become more anti-social and introverted which I believe just serves to further aggrevate our situation.

Now what this has to do with the original intent of this thread is beyond me. Talk about going off on a tangent!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
The more dense the population becomes, the greater the impact will be on those around you from your actions.
I agree with the fact that the general population is getting more dense......But probably in ways than you didn't consider in your post!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts