Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Not yet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into purchasing a used 2014 3.6L ATS Luxury trim (premium is out of my budget, even a 2013) and I was wondering what things should I should look out for when I go check it out/test drive it? I already read about the rough idling issue here but is there any else? Maybe something on the interior or exterior that's become an annoyance? Is there something you wish you would've known prior to purchasing your ATS? I realize the ATS has only been around for a few years but do you think the 3.6L motor/car has some longevity to it? As an owner do you think you'll be happy 4, 5, or 6 years from now? When I buy a car I tend to keep it for around 6 years. :/

In case anyone was wondering, my last two cars have both been moderately modified WRX's. I'm just ready to get out of the turbo game and go NA as a daily driver. From what I've read the 2.0L Turbo ATS is quite the spirited driver but coming from 2 WRX's, I'm over the turbo scene. I want the Ron Popeil set-it-and-forget-it version, i.e. buy it and don't mod it. With the turbo, I'd just have that same temptation to modify it like my WRX's, lol. :lildevil:

·
Registered
2013 ATS Peformance 3.6 AWD
107 Posts
In regards to the 3.6L. Its the LFX and has been around for some time, not just the ATS. Its used in Camaros, CTS, ATS, Equinox, Acadia, etc. There have been variations of this motor over the years. LFX is the latest revision. Prior 3.6's had timing chain stretch issues, but that has been redesigned and that issue seems to be eliminated. Otherwise its a pretty solid reliable motor. Most of the bugs have been worked out.

I have had my 2013 ATS 3.6 AWD performance for about 1 1/2 years, and do not have any issues with it. It was in 1 time for a ball joint replacement, other than that just oil changes and recalls.

Some people like CUE, some people hate CUE. I don't mind it, but there is always room for improvement. Regarding suspension, structure, powertrain, etc everything seems to be solid. I think you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
if u dont live in hot& humid place, then there is really nothin to worry about. if u do, the funky ac smell might become a deal breaker.
Solaris said:
So I'm looking into purchasing a used 2014 3.6L ATS Luxury trim (premium is out of my budget, even a 2013) and I was wondering what things should I should look out for when I go check it out/test drive it? I already read about the rough idling issue here but is there any else? Maybe something on the interior or exterior that's become an annoyance? Is there something you wish you would've known prior to purchasing your ATS? I realize the ATS has only been around for a few years but do you think the 3.6L motor/car has some longevity to it? As an owner do you think you'll be happy 4, 5, or 6 years from now? When I buy a car I tend to keep it for around 6 years. :/ In case anyone was wondering, my last two cars have both been moderately modified WRX's. I'm just ready to get out of the turbo game and go NA as a daily driver. From what I've read the 2.0L Turbo ATS is quite the spirited driver but coming from 2 WRX's, I'm over the turbo scene. I want the Ron Popeil set-it-and-forget-it version, i.e. buy it and don't mod it. With the turbo, I'd just have that same temptation to modify it like my WRX's, lol. :lildevil:

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L
174 Posts
The biggest regret on my 3.6 luxury is the rear end. I didn't realize the luxury didn't have a limited slip rear end. I wish I would have known so I could have gotten the performance package instead

----------

It's a very limiting factor if you ever decide you want to make the car faster. Traction will suck. And your looking around $2k to change it out unless you are lucky enough to find a used one somewhere.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
443 Posts
So I'm looking into purchasing a used 2014 3.6L ATS Luxury trim (premium is out of my budget, even a 2013) and I was wondering what things should I should look out for when I go check it out/test drive it? I already read about the rough idling issue here but is there any else? Maybe something on the interior or exterior that's become an annoyance? Is there something you wish you would've known prior to purchasing your ATS? I realize the ATS has only been around for a few years but do you think the 3.6L motor/car has some longevity to it? As an owner do you think you'll be happy 4, 5, or 6 years from now? When I buy a car I tend to keep it for around 6 years. :/

In case anyone was wondering, my last two cars have both been moderately modified WRX's. I'm just ready to get out of the turbo game and go NA as a daily driver. From what I've read the 2.0L Turbo ATS is quite the spirited driver but coming from 2 WRX's, I'm over the turbo scene. I want the Ron Popeil set-it-and-forget-it version, i.e. buy it and don't mod it. With the turbo, I'd just have that same temptation to modify it like my WRX's, lol. :lildevil:
How much are you willing to spend? Used 2013 Premiums are sub 30k

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD
28 Posts
Limited slip is only available on RWD manuals (all) or Premium 2.0T/3.6. MRC is only available on Premium 2.0T/3.6. Performance package wouldn't have gotten you there...

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L
174 Posts
Sovjet said:
Limited slip is only available on RWD manuals (all) or Premium 2.0T/3.6. MRC is only available on Premium 2.0T/3.6. Performance package wouldn't have gotten you there...
3.6 performance package does have the limited slip.

----------

n2o-3.6-ATS said:
3.6 performance package does have the limited slip.
I guess it depends on where you read it. I've seen it say it does and also it doesn't. So idk

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD
28 Posts
I could be wrong...

I thought the Limited Slip Diff only came on the FE3 suspension (including MRC), or with manual transmission vehicles...

From the Cadillac website (where you compare trims)
Mechanical limited slip rear differential N/A (3.6 Perf) Available (3.6 Prem)

·
Registered
Not yet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much are you willing to spend? Used 2013 Premiums are sub 30k
I'm in that 26-29 range. Most of the 2013 Premiums I've seen in socal have all been priced above 30 with little to no wiggle room from the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
443 Posts
I'll PM you one...I was looking at it and passed as it was priced at 36k. Now its at 30k and has the adaptive cruise, HUD, blindspot, etc.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts
We just bought a Premium 3.6L (AWD). I've seen a few sub $30k, just keep looking, they are there (or the performance trim) but it's harder to find everything you want as far as color, etc. The 3.6L is a high volume motor in a lot of GM applications, should be pretty strong on durability.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I'm in that 26-29 range. Most of the 2013 Premiums I've seen in socal have all been priced above 30 with little to no wiggle room from the dealer.
I'm picking up a 2013 Premium with 10,000 miles for $28,200 on Saturday. They are out there, just gotta keep your eye out.

·
Registered
Not yet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys! Ended up picking up a 2014 ATS Premium AWD with only 10k miles. I really considered a RWD, but I just love the predictability AWD has in funky weather....again coming from 2 WRXs. Plus the folding seats to throw my snowboard in the back. :)

From my understanding though, the AWD model doesn't have the magentic suspension and mechanical rear dif. Is that correct? If so, what's in its place?

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
You are correct and AWD is in its place. You get the standard sport suspension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts