Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2012 SRX luxury SUVs with 32,400 miles. The original warranty will expire in 6 months. I want to get an extended warranty. Should I buy the one offered at the dealership ( expensive) or find one online?

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
Personally I never buy extended warranties, always been a waste of money when I did. It's legalized gambling, you bet the car will break down. They bet it won't!

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
I purchased a 2010 LUX two years ago with 33K miles on it, all of the problems (and there were a few) got a taken care of under the factory
warranty, I purchased a 5 year 50K mile warranty from the dealer for $2k which started off at $2,800 so don't take the first quote, haggle a bit and see what they end up offering. I have never had to use mine yet but it's good just to have the piece of mind, however there are plenty who
consider these warranties a waste of money, so at the end of the day it's your choice, pay now or maybe pay more later.

·
Registered
SRX Performance
48 Posts
There are so many factors that go into whether its a good idea or not that you have to carefully consider a few things.

First the complexity of the SRX compared to a car that doesn't have much gadgetry. These cars have so many computers and electronic features that pretty much one failure can cost a fortune.
The second thing to consider is the dependability of the drive system.
The third thing is the cost of the plan and what the payback will be. ( total plan cost to possible repair cost)
the last thing is if you decide to get an extended warranty READ what the plan covers & doesn't cover as well as any deductibles you will have to pay

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Order and Choices excluding pricing. I have used all 3. They have paid for themselves time after time.

CPO
GMPP Can be shopped on the internet and purchased anywhere. Does not need to be purchased where you bought the car.
AAA Automobile Club of America Free Quotes, Fixed Pricing depending on plan choice.

None of the Scam Fly by Night names you can find just about anywhere on the internet.

·
Registered
2015 SRX
23 Posts
You can look around here and tell what will go wrong with your SRX. On my 2010 I bought the GMPP and it paid for itself many times over. Three of four wheel bearings with the fourth going as I traded it in, leaking sunroof, a couple of times, confused electronics.

Love the car but can't afford to keep it on the road without a plan.

Steve

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX, Crystal Red
28 Posts
Just my $0.02 , skip the warranty . Thats were GM makes alot of money is by selling their extended warranties . Take 2000 dollars and put it in the bank and use it for repairs . When I bought my SRX it was a leased vehicle and I got a GM Certified warranty on it , thats the way to go . But if you do decide on purchashing a warranty just make sure it is a GM warranty ( GMPP ) dont trust these other companies out there .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Just my $0.02 , skip the warranty . Thats were GM makes alot of money is by selling their extended warranties . Take 2000 dollars and put it in the bank and use it for repairs . When I bought my SRX it was a leased vehicle and I got a GM Certified warranty on it , thats the way to go . But if you do decide on purchashing a warranty just make sure it is a GM warranty ( GMPP ) dont trust these other companies out there .
Lets give it a run on a 2010 AWD Premium..... Numbers are not accurate, but just to prove a point.... Experiences will vary...
$2000- in bank with .05% interest
Subtract $1500- for Radio ( Washington DC Here I Come.... ) Unable to store songs ( Same O'l Song GM )
Subtract $ 900- Drive Shaft and Mounts ( Wobble wobble everywhere, not a ..... )
Subtract $ 500- Vent modulators ( Air Flow can't make up its mind.... )
Subtract $ 350- Sunroof Drains ( What's a little water inside the car.... Um, its a feature? )
Add $ 350- Refunded by GM because enough of us Guiney Pigs complained that Mold and Electronics damage is a bad thing, if we want a Foot Bath, well pay for it with a Pedacure
Subtract $ 350- Again just for pure aggravation from the one above.
Subtract $ 500- Wheel Bearings
Subtract $ 500- OnStar Module Failure ( Don't worry if you crash, some good Samaritan will see the smoke and call for help.... Gulp....
Subtract $ 1,500- Timing Chain ( No no no, the car should shake like that and the lights on the dash flicker, its our way of alerting you to not follow the OM and change your oil sooner..., this time we will reprogram your car to alert you to change the oil earlier than we originally advertised.
Subtract $ 500- Front left Strut and Sway Bar Bushings ( When you hear it, that's how you know it is cold outside so you don't have to look at the temperature on the Radio screen )

I'm just play'n a bit, but the above was mostly true for me, and I am no where done with the list.... CPO was a life saver!

Now, on the flip side, I traded the 10 for a 13, Night and Day difference.... No major problems so far.... But, I would not purchase it without CPO or GMPP. 2Cents Done, Stepping off of Box now. :sbox:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was more like a $1.00 worth . The $2000.00 sum was just for an example , not literally . As with most forums these days the sites turn into a place to just complain . I'm sorry you had so much trouble with your first SRX . Me on the other hand own a '12 Premium AWD and have only been to my dealership for oil changes and the occasional tire rotation. I have owned nothing but GM vehicles since I was able to drive and only once did I ever buy an ext. warranty and never had to use it . So in my experience I dont think they are worth buying . If you ask most people these warranties are just a cash cow for automakers . That is why if I dont buy new I will buy only a Certified vehicle and dont have to worry about a warranty. And I usually will trade it in just short of the warranty running out because that adds to the trade ins value . I do find it a bit odd though , if you had thatt much trouble with your 1st SRX werent you a bit nervous buying the second one ? Most people would . So , in short my $0.02 remains " skip the ext. warranty " , and but SOME money aside to fix your SRX . The example above is not a realistic reprisentation of what you would go through in a used car buy , unless of course it was in some flood down south and if there is any doubt you can always buy a CarFax on the car online for #39.95 .

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Carfax is just as worthless as an extended warranty, if you think an extended warranty is worthless. I can show you a car for sale right now that the Carfax shows no damage, that I had fixed at a body shop using insurance, and countless trips to the dealer for repairs under warranty. They are even missing one or two oil changes done by a Lincoln dealer.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That was more like a $1.00 worth . The $2000.00 sum was just for an example , not literally . As with most forums these days the sites turn into a place to just complain . I'm sorry you had so much trouble with your first SRX . Me on the other hand own a '12 Premium AWD and have only been to my dealership for oil changes and the occasional tire rotation. I have owned nothing but GM vehicles since I was able to drive and only once did I ever buy an ext. warranty and never had to use it . So in my experience I dont think they are worth buying . If you ask most people these warranties are just a cash cow for automakers . That is why if I dont buy new I will buy only a Certified vehicle and dont have to worry about a warranty. And I usually will trade it in just short of the warranty running out because that adds to the trade ins value . I do find it a bit odd though , if you had thatt much trouble with your 1st SRX werent you a bit nervous buying the second one ? Most people would . So , in short my $0.02 remains " skip the ext. warranty " , and but SOME money aside to fix your SRX . The example above is not a realistic reprisentation of what you would go through in a used car buy , unless of course it was in some flood down south and if there is any doubt you can always buy a CarFax on the car online for #39.95 .
I too have owned many GM Vehicles. The 2010 was just well, a 2010. The car was immaculate and had all the options and features I was interested in, however, it was plagued with too many problems for a 1st model year. It was under CPO, and clean Car Fax, so I went with it. Traded it after 1 year since CPO was running out and Timing Chain was the last to go, but I loved the car, style, etc. The 2013 was a night and day difference ( one owner, under B2B and Certified ) cant go wrong. I have kept up with the forum and felt comfortable with the newer model and additional Safety Features! I absolutely love the Car. As much as I like to buy new, I'm good with slightly used and pocket the 15K to 20K. Other than not being a fan of the Cue, the car is great and rides great. It would be nice to see the new model in 2016/17 the front end is a bit dated.
Question, would you purchase the car if it was not CPO? CPO=Extended Warrantee You are paying for it in the price of the car. I'm pretty sure the cost to add CPO is about $1,200- That's what my dealer paid to have it done to close the deal on the 13.
The above is an actual representation of most who have purchased a 2010, lots of them are not in the forum, but enough are here to justify it.

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
Carfax is just as worthless as an extended warranty, if you think an extended warranty is worthless. I can show you a car for sale right now that the Carfax shows no damage, that I had fixed at a body shop using insurance, and countless trips to the dealer for repairs under warranty. They are even missing one or two oil changes done by a Lincoln dealer.
I had a car for sale that a potential buyer ran a Carfax that showed a wreck that the car never had.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
Luckily I didn't pay for a carfax report... Useless is about 99% correct. I recently registered my 05 V on the mycarfax site. Service entries ended in November of 2010 at 44,000 miles. So what happened to the last 5 years and 60,000 miles? Services and repairs had to be done. Right? Not all repair facilities report to carfax. And I don't see anywhere on this report that shows how many owners or reported accidents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need to read the intro to a Car Fax report , It only shows what has been reported to CarFax . Is it 100% reliable , no , but it is still better than not knowing anything about the vehicles history . You can also ( depending on the state you live in ) go to the SEC. of States office and have them run the VIN # and see if the car has been in an accident . And yes you will pay a bit more for a Certified vehicle but it is still cheaper than buying an extended warranty , which is what the original post was all about . Thats why we live in America , to have choices in our lives and how to spend your money . If you have had a bad report from CarFax, report it . And dont buy the vehicle if you are unsure of its hitsory . I normally buy new cars so I dont have to rely on CarFax . It was just an option for the poster . CarFax wouldnt be in business as long as it has to make as many mistakes as is claimed . Also if you do buy used ask the salesman if the car was originally sold by the dealership , they will have all service records . again , just my $0.02 !:crybaby:

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Also if you do buy used ask the salesman if the car was originally sold by the dealership , they will have all service records . again , just my $0.02 !:crybaby:
If any GM dealer services a GM vehicle, it will go into the service database. Same with a Ford dealer servicing a Ford. The Ford service history system is called Oasis. Not sure what the GM system is called, but a GM service department can run a VIN and pull up all the work that any GM service department has performed on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts