Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
29 Posts
i dont know if i could swallow 150 dollars for spark plugs... or rather "pulse plugs".. everything out there claims to improve power and gas mileage, i would assume this is just another one of those gimmicks.. i would give them a try if they were about 50-60 dollars for a set..

·
Registered
Catera
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking about buying 4 of them for my s10 since they will fit the same, if i notice an improvement i'll go ahead and get some for my catera that i'm rebuilding

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
Let me just start by saying that your combustion in your car is almost 98% Efficient meaning that the current spark plugs fires and 98% of that mixture burns by the time the piston reaches BDC.... so how in the world is a better spark going to give the advertised 4.4mpg improvement from those 2%...

I have asked that question and have spoken to many professors at school who were pros at internal combustion and spent their lifes studding the effects of sparks and fire...and they say the only difference is the direction in which the flame starts...

THe Bosch with the open design is one of the best ons you can get... as flames go down and to the sides... which simply makes it about 2-3% better then the OEM spark plugs...

I say save the money and go spend it somewhere else where it will matter more... like light weight wheels, or a insulation kit for your induction pipes...

I just spent 70$ on BOSCH Fusion Platinum... for my car and noticed no difference at all... not in MPGs not in power... nothing... basically a waste of money as I could have gone with the GM recommended ones for about a third of the cost...

·
Registered
Catera
37 Posts
Read the independent reviews on their site, it's quite humorous.

The only real comparison is the sparkplugs.com one, and they show an average increase of 0.26hp and a loss of 1.88ft/lbs of torque. Both of which are within the margin of error on a chassis dyno anyhow.

The other two independent reviews are garbage, they go from old spark plugs to new spark plugs, of course you're going to see an increase in horsepower! They'd probably pick up another couple if they test an old dirty air filter A versus a new filter B, but that doesn't mean the air filter B is better than air filter A.

Let me step down off of my soapbox. Keep your car tuned up on a regular basis and you'll see the most hp/tq and MPG.

Edit: I couldn't bear to spend $10/each on the Bosch/GM OE plug so I put in some $2/each Denso platinums and haven't looked back. She runs great.

·
Registered
Cadillac
146 Posts
If you wanna look at a spark plug that i think is a bit better than the bosch/oem ones go to www.briskracing.com or www.briskusa.com and take a look at their premium LGS plug. Pretty interesting. And like cateramv6 said its all about where the flamefront starts and where it goes. Thats why alot of people who are trying to extract every fraction of horsepower from their cars will use whats called an index washer so they can try to aim the open end of the spark plug to where they feel the highest concentration of air and fuel will be in the cylinder. But with our cars where the spark plug is in the center of the combustion chamber, having no electrodes to restrict the propigation of the flame front would be ideal. However i would be difficult to measure any gains since they will be rather small. But on the reviews for these brisk plugs they acutally saw gains in horsepower and torque since they had the cars on the dyno and made their base pulls with normal plugs and then switched to the brisks. FWIW the couple of reviews i read were done on an 01 SS camaro and a 03 cobra. So at least there is a comparison with a 2valve OHC engine and 4valve DOCH engine.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
This is what I run in my car... they have a 2$ off so for a set of 6 you end up paying $36... which is not bad for a 100K spark plug...

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
I just run 4+ Platinum in one, and NGK Iridiums in another. And I think I like Bosch better. All Iridium does is lasts long, what I've heard from people in automechanic schools.

·
Registered
Cadillac
146 Posts
This is what I run in my car... they have a 2$ off so for a set of 6 you end up paying $36... which is not bad for a 100K spark plug...

That looks very similar to the plugs that came in my new eninge. But the ones i have arent iridiums.

Oh and R-caddy do you happen to work for gulfstream? I know they have a big plant in savannah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts