Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went to rotate my tires the other day and after rotating the next morning on the way to school I noticed a slight rubbing I could feel through the pedals and steering wheel. Thinking the worst and that I didnt tighten the lugnuts I stopped and and checked and all were snug. I have not rerotated the tires yet because the front tires are new and should not be causing this problem. The rubbing can only be felt at 25+mph and worsens going around a turn like "(" and disappears around a turn like ")" Anyone had this before? Im guessing front left wheel bearing is going bad but im sure its not a cheap item. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Try re rotating the tires and see if you feel this through the body.
Could be a broken cord in one of the front tires even if it is new.
Tire dealers like to arguy over this.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
There are a number of things that could cause a vibration. I wouldn't drive it too much until you get it checked out.

Here are some things to check;
1. Are your tires balanced and properly inflated, they could have thrown a weight? (walking down the street, you see a lot of thrown weights)
2. Are your tie rod ends worn (and whole steering rack for that matter), do they wiggle?
3. Are your tires on crooked? (seen it once)
4. Bearings? (you're more likely to hear a bad bearing before you feel it)
5. Alignment?

If its a broken cord in the tire you would see a lump, and it would grow over time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Krashed989 said:
If its a broken cord in the tire you would see a lump, and it would grow over time.
Until it blows out your tire. I had some Uniroyal TigerPaws on another vehicle years ago. The bubble was near the inner side of tire. Never suspected it. One tire went, then another a few months later. The third tire I found beforehand.

Back to the subject...

·
Registered
161 Posts
94greencaddysls said:
The rubbing can only be felt at 25+mph and worsens going around a turn like "(" and disappears around a turn like ")" Anyone had this before? Im guessing front left wheel bearing is going bad but im sure its not a cheap item. Any help would be great thanks.
I wonder if this has anything to do with your tires. I'd rotate just to see, but I suspect your noise isn't tire related.

If you're hearing this pulsing/rubbing more as you go through a turn, I'd guess that you're experiencing the onset of CV joint failure. Noise to one side (i.e. left turn, but not right or vice versa) only is typical of CV joint failure. Generally the joint opposite of the turn is the culprit. So, if you think the left joint is the problem, I'd expect you to hear the noise more when turning to the right (your diagram seems to support this). I'd inspect the boots on both sides to see if they're damaged. If damage has occured recently, you may be able to have the joint re-lubricated and wrapped with a new boot. If the boot is damaged and lubrication is lost, it's only a matter of time before the bearings in the joint disintegrate and eventually seize. If it is a CV joint going bad, the noise will get progressively worse over the next few weeks as you continue to drive on it.

Hopefully it's just a bad belt in the tire though. God luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just rotated the tires back to the way they were and the noise seems to be gone on a short test drive. Hopefully it doesnt reappear but if it doesnt im definately going back to the tire place and raising hell. 140 bucks a piece for tires plus the alignment made the cost over 300 bucks. I repacked my right cv joint about 3,000 miles ago because when pulling the halfshaft off to replace the differential the boot came off. Ill post up if it comes back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem came back but has since moved the the rear of the car since the tires are on the rear. Took the car back and they discovered my left rear rim was bent. Evidently one of the guys that installed the tires on the rims or mistorqued the rim down while it was on the ground. So the place refunded my money for the 2 tires, gave me a coupon for 100 dollars off my next purchase with no minimum, and are covering the cost of the replacement rim. So somehow I made out on this....anywho glad its done with and shes back to riding smoooooth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts