Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
None
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to Costco tomorrow and have them refill them since they are at 33/34 right now. I like them to be around 36-37 cold too.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
Does the factory use nitrogen in the tires? My dealer does, but I don't know if that's just the dealer or something started by GM.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Both my Cadi and my Merc use Nitrogen for the tires.
supposed to be more stable and change less with heat or cold.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
Interesting articles...but they still seem to support that nitrogen is better. The first article does say moist air expands more than straight nitrogen, and the second seems to have run tests using very dry desert air in the comparison. Less loss of pressure through the rubber, less corrosion, more consistent expansion. I'm still liking my dealership!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
All almost completely useless on a street driven vehicle owned by someone who checks tire pressure at least once every month.

And the moisture thing is BS. The nitrogen might be dry, but the soapy water that the tech sloshes onto the rim/tire to make the bead seat easier is still going to be in there after most of the air is sucked out, and the nitrogen pumped in.

Corrosion usually forms on the outer edge of the bead, nor from the inside out. All you can do to slow that process is to keep the rims clean.

If the dealership/shop fills with nitrogen exclusively, great, no harm done. If they charge extra, save your money.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
They don't charge a penny! Are you telling me you wouldn't choose nitrogen for your tires if you had a choice and it was free?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts