Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 STS (sold), 93 Eldorado Sport
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I apologize, it's been a few years since my last post. Well an update for anyone that might remember me, I had taken a 95 STS from the depths of the jungle of Guam and made it into a running and driving machine again. The car had less than 50K miles and ran great. Unfortunately, I couldnt take it with me back to the states so I sold it to another guy that is still driving it to this day. I missed that car and searched and searched for a replacement.

I found a pristine 93 Eldorado with 99K miles. This Eldo has zero rust (damn northern states and their salty roads), almost a perfect interior, The ashtray cover is starting to droop a bit. I will post pictures when I can remember how.

The only issue this car has is it smokes like an old freight train. Judging by how pristine this car is, I dont think the previous owner ran it hard enough. I filled up the tank with 91 octane gas. I took it out and exercised the rings a few times with the WOT procedures I found on this forum. The runs cleared it up quite a bit, and it didn't smoke nearly as bad afterwards. However it started to run extremely rich (smoke changed from burnt oil smell to a rich fuel smell. After the runs, it began chugging on the way home, and the fuel/burnt oil smoke smell was experienced at stop lights.

I pulled all of the plugs...only the 5 and 7 cylinders looked different. 5 was a little more brownish then the others. 7 was completely black. The only fluid that was low was the engine oil, it was about a half a quart low after a 50 trip with about 5 WOT back to back procedures done. Engine temp stayed between 196 and 203 degrees. No check engine light. The oil has a slight fuel smell to it.

After the plug replacement, I started it, it idled fine. I revved it up a few times and the burning oil smoke came back. I'm almost positive that the O2 sensor is coated with crap (which might explain the rich condition) I also put a can of B12 fuel system cleaner in it just today (I havent ran it since).

My questions to the masses:
Does this sound like a stuck piston ring?
Should I run the piss out of this a few more times?
At what point do I need to start looking at different chemicals to try (GM TEC, Seafoam,MPCC?)?
Or is this the slow death of the Northstar?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
Re: Proud new owner of a Smoking Blue Eldorado

first - check for codes -

started to run extremely rich
(smoke changed from burnt oil smell to a rich fuel smell.

check the FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator -

Does this sound like a stuck piston ring?
possibly -
but worn valve guides is more probable -

At what point do I need to start looking at different chemicals to try
leave the SNAKE OIL on the shelf - where it belongs -

GM has one procedure for freeing stuck rings -
remove the plugs -
put an ounce or two of APPROVED solvent into each cylinder -
let it sit for a while -
suck out any remaining solvent -
install the plugs -
cross your fingers -
run the snot out of it -

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts

This is a shot in the dark and im not disagreeing with the expert but the black # 7 plug might have a bad wire.

----------

Or possibly a corroded connection to the coil pack or both.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Basscatt, thank you for the speedy response.

I'll have to find a fuel pressure gauge.

Is it normal for only one cylinder to wear the valve guides? It doesn't smoke on start up,
That's why I was thinking it was a frozen ring.

What is the GM "APPROVED" solvent...TEC?

I will have to pull all of the codes, most are from previous owner though.

----------

Omston, I'll look at them too. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
19,292 Posts

I'll have to find a fuel pressure gauge.
you don't need a gauge to check the Fuel Pressure Regulator -

pull the vacuum supply hose at the FPR -
you are checking for ANY gasoline in the vacuum hose -
indicating a ruptured FPR diaphragm -

-----------------

Is it normal for only one cylinder to wear the valve guides
it's not "normal" for any valve guides to wear - but it happens -

--------------

What is the GM "APPROVED" solvent...TEC?
do a search for NORTHSTAR BURNING OIL - or similar - look in the Northstar engine forum here -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/

or the TechTips forum here -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,534 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I pulled the codes, all historical. Off memory, there were two for the o2 sensors, and one intermittent MAP (P109?). I cleared all the codes and ordered new oxygen sensors. I'll pick up a bottle of UEC (X66P) on my way home from work. I will pour in the 2oz into both 5 and 7 cylinders and let them soak for the recommended two hours (but not three). I'll then evacuate the cylinders, put it back together and "run the snot out of it with more WOT procedures"

If this doesnt fix it, I will try removing all the spark plugs and again pouring the UEC into the 5 and 7, but this time move the crank a bit to maybe work the UEC into the ring lands. I don't think this is a worn valve guide problem, but anything is possible right?

I'll be sure to let you guys know what I find out. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Administrator
68,534 Posts

A GM recommended procedure after using the carbon solvent procedure is to run the engine for a while - hour or so - then change oil and filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks Submariner409, I will be sure to run it for the hour or so. If It stops smoking, I'd be tempted to keep driving it longer! lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Still smoking. At first it smells like burnt oil, but after driving for a few minutes (around the block) it turns into a fuel smell. I pulled the upper intake cover off and found a lot of gas all over the lower intake. My guess is that I have a significant leak somewhere within the fuel rail. I plan on re-ringing all of the fuel rail. I found several o-rings for the FPR and the fuel rail end of the injector, but have had no luck in finding the blue seals that go on the business end of the injectors (where it meets the lower intake).

Anybody know a part number for an injector seal kit for the 93-94 Northstars?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

New update...Changed FPR, reseated the injector seals, ran the snot out of it on the highway. No more smoke. Runs great now.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dreaded P039 code

Fellow Caddy enthusiasts...

After fixing the smoking problem of my 93 Eldorado Sport, I am now getting three random codes...P013, P017 and the reoccurring P039.
I have already replaced both oxygen sensors. The code that bothers me is the P039. I read about the TSB# 87-65-17
DTC P039 Set When Driving Up Slight Grade After Cold Start, but having a hard time trying to find an obsolete updated prom.

Any ideas on where I might find one or is this something someone can program?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Submariner for the link and condensing the threads. here are the OBD1 codes:

P013 - Right oxygen sensor not ready
P017 - Left oxygen sensor not ready
P039 - Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

If I put the car in Drive (not overdrive) and let the transmission warm up, no P039 code ensues. Yesterday I drove to and from work this way (30 miles round trip) and no codes. At first I thought the PCM was on the way out, but I do believe it is the original prom and needs the update to correct the problem.

Is it even possible to program a prom? Or does someone know where I might find the updated prom?

·
19,292 Posts
Thank you Submariner for the link and condensing the threads. here are the OBD1 codes:

P013 - Right oxygen sensor not ready
P017 - Left oxygen sensor not ready
P039 - Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

If I put the car in Drive (not overdrive) and let the transmission warm up, no P039 code ensues. Yesterday I drove to and from work this way (30 miles round trip) and no codes. At first I thought the PCM was on the way out, but I do believe it is the original prom and needs the update to correct the problem.

Is it even possible to program a prom? Or does someone know where I might find the updated prom?
=============================
Is it even possible to program a prom?
PROM = Programmable Read Only Memory -

the PROM is "flashed" - or programmed - with the specific - unique features of the car -
and plugged into the generic ECM -

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the PROM is "flashed" - or programmed - with the specific - unique features of the car -
and plugged into the generic ECM -
As always basscatt, thank you for the lesson.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to who might still be around to update the PROM to the newest GM release or better? (Superchips?)

·
Administrator
68,534 Posts
A GM dealership can check to see if the black box is at the latest update level. Using a small time chip modifier or hacker you never know what has been done to the unit and you never know quite what you'll finally wind up with as far as "performance upgrade".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts