Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2013 Challenger RT with a 6 speed manual Barton shifter. There are the normal mods, but that's it (Barton, oil catch can, res delete). I am a UC Mgr at a Cadillac dealership, have owned many caddys and driven many Vs, but never owned one. My gripe is, if you have a "muscle" car, it should be a stick. Well, I moved and now commute 40 minutes 1 way day. Some days, the manual is fun, but others I want to just relax and listen to KFAN. As I work at a Cadillac dealership, I know all about the misfortunes of the 4.4 Northstar, and then you throw a supercharger in the mix and its like bad gets worse. On the flip side, though, anyone I talk to that has or had an STS V swears by their reliability and overall driver experience - INCLUDING MY CADDY TECHS! I have owned an STS v8, but not a V - and had no issues besides the normal drop on the garage floor (like Harley, if a Northstar isn't leaving a drop on your garage it means you are out of oil lol). Not to mention, only 2500 made Vs versus how many thousands Challenger RTs produced, I mean c'mon - rarity alone has my intrigued. And finally, it's not a good look that a senior manager at a GM dealership daily drives a FCA. Not to mention my yard truck is a old Ford, and my fiance drives a murdered out Grand Cherokee - I NEED a Caddy back in my life lol. I would love some guidance if I am running a fools errand and should stick with the Challenger, or leap into the great unknown and potential glory of the STSV. Ah, yes.. the #s. 2006 STS - V, 2 owner. 201k miles, but was Green light on the auction and stated the supercharger was replaced at 140k. Also, all the Northstar engine seals were redone at 120k in 2015. The car is an 4.2 out of 5 condition grade IMO, it looks amazing. My techs were already asking if it checks out what I would sell it for, they were disappointed when I told them it potentially is a personal car. Price out the door tax included in MN will be about 7500 bucks. HELP ME PLEASE!! Keep the Dodge, or get with the hero and rock the STSV??

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
55 Posts
The 4.4l is not the same as the 4.6l that is in the regular STS. It is a special hand built North Star that was assembled at the GM performance build center along side the ls7. It even has a plaque on the valve cover showing the name of the person who built it :). It was strengthened and most or all of the problems from the 4.6 were designed out of it. The 4.4 is the pinnacle of the North Star family. The 4.4l has a reputation for reliability because it is reliable. It is the 4.6 and the earlier ones for that matter, that had all the issues. I have 183k on mine with no major problems (knock on wood). I wouldn't be too afraid of the miles if it was maintained well. Just know that at its age, some parts are starting to show as discontinued on the GM parts sites, so there may be a few things that are harder to find, especially V specific stuff. There is next to zero aftermarket upgrade support, besides TC Fab and a couple other aftermarket parts sellers. The STS-V is a sweet ass car though for the money. It is still faster than 90% of the cars I come across on the regular. It is rare as you know, so you will probably be the only person in your area with one. I have only seen one other in my life that I know of and it was on the express way and the car had out of state plates. 9 out of 10 people who care will think it is a cts-v. I think it looks different enough from the base STS to make it special. Challenger's are basically the modern IROC Z mullet mobile in my opinion, so I would say ditch that thing anyways. The auto trans in the STS isn't terrible. Probably the best auto I have ever had in a car. The manual mode works ok and shifts quickly (you can get a trans tune for the car as well for better shifts). It will let you bounce off the limiter and will not auto shift up even in manual mode. It still feels like a trans with a torque converter, and nothing you can do about that. I throw this out there in posts sometimes, but maybe also consider a CTS-V. You can get a manual if you want and it has a decent after market support. It is also easier to work on, but that is probably more of a concern if you do the work yourself. The STS-V is so cheap now, I think it is a great buy as long as it doesn't have a bunch of problems. The interior is still nice looking compared to modern luxury cars and probably the nicest interior of any GM vehicle of the 2000's. The ride doesn't feel as good as a traditional caddy and cannot be had with magnetic suspension, so you are kinda stuck on that. My biggest complaint on the car is that the suspension is a little rough/stiff, but it is a performance sedan, so I get it. That is my two cents. I think that price is fair for what you are getting if it is as described. It is cheap enough to take a chance and if you don't like it, I think you could make most of your money back selling it here or on bring a trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took your advice and couln't be happier! Pic one was when I got it, pic two was doing the brass monkey wheel dip with my guy. I have since gotten 20% tint and will be dropping it 2 inches in the back and 1 in the front to level it out. Even though it is an automatic, it is so much more fun than my Chally - and faster!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took your advice and couln't be happier! Pic one was when I got it, pic two was doing the brass monkey wheel dip with my guy. I have since gotten 20% tint and will be dropping it 2 inches in the back and 1 in the front to level it out. Even though it is an automatic, it is so much more fun than my Chally - and faster!!

View attachment 604602 View attachment 604603
Flipped, pic 1 after the wheels obviously lol. My Challenger had the resinator delete, so I went with the muffler delete on the V and it sounds amazing! Check out checki426 on youtube if you wanna hear a little rumble of me leaving work :) lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts