Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 AWD 2.0T LUXE, 2016 C7 TBDE vert, 2003 Avey Z66
637 Posts
I can't imagine where those numbers are coming from. My 2011 Sedan will be 4 years old in a week or so. Currently showing nearly 29K on the clock. Just finished my last oil change that is part of the program. I have not spent 1 dime on this car. Still with OEM tires that I will replace in maybe 5-7K. Put gas in it and drive - no issues or repairs. Now, keep in mind I have a 2WD but there can't be that much difference. $150 for an oil change??? Is that Mink oil their using???

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
I have a 2011 AWD Coupe. My oil change is around $50 at a Caddy dealer. If you use synthetic, it may be more. One thing I can tell you is be glad that these cars do not require premium fuel because the real world gas mileage is far below the EPA rating. I have never averaged more than 23 MPG on the highway. You will pay a little more on tires because the Coupe has the "staggered" tire setup. The rear tires are wider than the front and they can be pricey because it is not a common size and you won't be able to rotate them either.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
I've put 50k miles on my 2010 wagon (it has 73k total), and so far I've spent $1000 for two wheel bearings, $850 for tires, and oil changes are around $100 once a year.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
It's pretty easy to do some things like oil change, air filter, spark plugs, etc. yourself, doesn't cost more than any other car (noting Mobil 1). Other things like tires & brakes can be done by independents, again not really more than any other car. But these cars have a lot of features, which is great, but means there's more that can go wrong. The real maintenance concern is major, labor intensive and/or hard to track down failures that require dealer parts & service. That's a matter of the quality of a specific dealer pricing & service...and luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the staggered wheels/wide tires/subpar fuel economy are all things I'm used to from my Crossfire (though being able to purchase regular unleaded again will be nice!) The Edmunds $150 oil change quote may have assumed synthetic oil (I know that's how much my Crossfire ran per oil change and it required synthetic.)

Thanks for some opinions! It looks like the car still has 10 months worth of warranty, which is nice (although that may end up only covering one oil change.) How often are people running into unscheduled maintenance on these?

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
I'd forgotten you were talking staggered tires, definitely cool but kind a hassle. As for how much unscheduled maintenance, that's a good question. I think the internet tends to amplify problems, but admittedly the conventional wisdom is reliability isn't the best (but just noticed the 2015 CTS is 'recommended' by Consumer Reports). There are well known issues (ex: timing chains, leaky sunroof due to clogged drains, wheel bearings, etc.) but otherwise think much of it boils down to more features = more stuff to have problems (esp. electrical sensors, motors, switches, wiring). With that in mind is AWD a feature you really need?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AWD isn't a must-have, but it's definitely desirable for me - I'm in Seattle, so while inclement weather isn't a big deal in town, having AWD would make getting to the mountains for skiing (or just being able to drive through the mountain passes) an actual option, whereas it was something I wouldn't have done with my Crossfire (which, even with chains, was poor in the snow.) Also, most (not all, but most) of the available coupes in the area are AWD anyways, so it's nothing something where I have a lot of choice in the matter.

I thought the timing chain issue was on the 2009 and prior models? And since the particular coupe I linked is certified (and a 2012 model year,) it should have about 3 years total of bumper-to-bumper warranty remaining, right (about one year left on the original warranty + two on the certified)? Would that cover these types of issues (like the wheel bearings, timing chain,) or do they typically manifest later/are not covered? A CarFax lookup for the VIN showed no outstanding recalls on this particular vehicle (though I've heard some earlier assemblies of the 2012 model year did have some recallable issues, though I think it was for a key fob/key chain problem.)

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
..yes the timing chain issues seem concentrated in '09-earlier. But I'd say anyone buying a 3.6 should make a point of checking their oil level/consumption and make sure it doesn't get low/dirty.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
12 Posts
I really can't complain about any maintenance issues with our 2009 CTS RWD. It's got 115K on it and runs just as good as the day we drove it off the lot. I've got a bearing that I have to replace, but that's at 115K miles. I just had the brakes done last week so I'd say we got our money's worth on them. We do have a broken lumbar motor but that was my fault. (Note to self, let go of the switch or the plastic gears in it will break :banghead:).

My wife absolutely loves her 2nd gen CTS. So much so that we looked at a 2015 and she decided that she wanted to keep hers.

These cars run synthetic oil, Mobile 1 is synthetic. That's why you get about 7,500 miles between oil changes, regular oil is only good for about 3,000 miles. Other than gas/oil/filters/tires and a battery at 5 1/2 years, I haven't had to spend anything on this car for over 6 years. Since we're going to probably keep it another 3-5 years I'm spending some extra money now changing all of the fluids and spark plugs. If you do the "by-the-book" dealer maintenance checks then Edmunds is probably about right on the annual cost. Some years higher and others lower depending on the mileage and services done.

·
Registered
637 Posts
"regular oil is only good for about 3,000 miles". What are you basing that on? In normal use the MINIMUM service for synthetic oil would be 6-7,000 miles. None synthetic is fine for 5-6,000 normal miles, at least. There is no vehicle that has a manufactures oil change interval anywhere near 3,000 miles and hasn't for years. All of the "lube shops" are still wanting to generate revenue so they STILL "recommend" the 3k changes with no scientific bases regarding modern non-synthetic oils.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,823 Posts
I change my own synthetic oil and send samples off to a lab for testing. I now go 10,000 miles between oil changes and they tell me I can drive further.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I change my own synthetic oil and send samples off to a lab for testing. I now go 10,000 miles between oil changes and they tell me I can drive further.
I think that BMW is now 10-12,000 mile oil changes with M1. Agreed.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,823 Posts

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
Good answer!

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4 3.6DI Black Raven
191 Posts
I have a 2009 AWD and oil change is about $90 with Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic. The car does burn a lot of oil in my opinion and gas mileage sucks can't get past 14 in city and around 23 highway. The car is nothing to brag about, there is squeaking noise from driver seat, trunk area, and rear suspension clunking noise sometime, also when breaking in slow speed coming to a slow stop you hear the car body squeaking noise under carriage. I always refer to the car as the last.scene of Titanic with all.noise and.electrical.problems. Disaster, but the car has premium package and get non stop compliments about looks and people wanting to own it, I just wish I had their enthusiasm now as I did when I purchased it.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
I have a 2008 sedan with 80k miles that I bought with 16k. I've had a few issues that I have fixed on the cheap. No major repairs and im still on the OEM brake pads.....the wear indicators are just starting to squeal. It runs great and I get 20MPG mixed driving...24 on Highway and 75mph. I don't think it costs any more to maintain than any other similarly priced vehicle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts