Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SoCadillac said:
I know that the 17"x7.5" have a 5x4.5" bolt pattern and a 40mm offset. I am looking at these:

http://www.piaa.com/Wheels/Wheel_SportMesh.html

So I believe that the 17" x 8" will work (the 5-114.3 bolt pattern is ours). What is the proper offset for 18" wheels on the CTS? Will the 18" x 7.5" 48mm offset work? Thoughts? Thanks.
Odysseus is the resident expert on wheels and offset. I recall he said 40-50mm of offset works.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RobertCTS said:
Odysseus is the resident expert on wheels and offset. I recall he said 40-50mm of offset works.
Thanks Robert! Also wish to thank you for the bezel replacement information as I reviewed mine and sure enough after I washed it, inside ran water and it fogged. This on a 2004 with only 9,000 miles on that resides in a garage. Product design for weatherproofing.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The stock wheels are 5x115mm lug pattern (not 4.5", which is 114.3mm), although a 4.5" lug pattern will fit. Stock offset is 51mm. Stock CTS-V offset is 42mm with 245/45R18 tires on an 8.5" rim. Offset is related to backspacing, which is the real issue with the wheels on a CTS to prevent rubbing suspension components.

If you go wider wheels/tires, you'll have to add most of the width to the outside so you don't hit the upper pinch bolt on the front suspension, or the trailing arm on the rear suspension, with the tires. Keeping the same backspacing with a wider rim will decrease the offset i.e., 8" wheels are 1/2" (12mm) wider than stock, so 51-12=39mm. The other issue is that if you go too far, you get rubbing on the fenders.

In short, keep it between 40mm and the stock 51mm and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
odysseus said:
In short, keep it between 40mm and the stock 51mm and you should be fine.
Exactly what I was looking for...THANKS! I sure wish we could get that CTS FAQ and helping information sticky or page going, and would like to see this on it.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SoCadillac said:
Exactly what I was looking for...THANKS! I sure wish we could get that CTS FAQ and helping information sticky or page going, and would like to see this on it.
I have the CTS FAQ pasted on my desk top so it's real easy to go to. You can also bookmark it in "Favorites".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts