Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you may know, I installed an oil catch can. I really like this mod and thought I would share more of it.

The can is from 42designs. It has a few features that i particularly like.
For starters, I love the dip stick. Many cans out there have a window to see how much crap is collected. Over time this window gets nasty. With this can, I merely, pull the dipstick to check the level.

I also love the quick drain system. Many cans out there require the can be unscrewed to check the level and empty. I had one of these on my srt8 and it was a pain to unscrew sometimes and was messy when unscrewed. Also the rubber o ring type gasket would loose it's shape from the heat and oil over time. Each time I unscrewed the can it was a pain.
With this can, I twist the drain open and it follows the tube down under the car and into a waiting receptacle. I close the valve and remove the receptacle from under the car. What could be easier?

I included a pic with the dipstick removed showing the fluid level after 250 miles.
Note, the emulsion is latte colored, indicating I am getting some condensation
with the oil/gas mix. This makes sense, as it is winter time and there will be condensation present. I will post pic of can contents when emptied.

Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Catch Can partially visible through engine dress up cover

Dress up cover removed

Pic of emulsion level after 250 miles (circled)

Pic of drainage tube under car

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Thats not too bad. You should see the amount of oil the 6.1L hemi's put out. In about 3000 miles my catch can would be 1/2 - 3/4's full. It was identical to yours in size

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adrian,

Yes I know.
Remember, I had a built 6.1 srt8 with billet technologies catch can.

So far nothing but granny miles. We'll see what happens when the weather gets warmer and I go to the track.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Oh yea, I completely forgot you had a 6.1L hemi. I gotta say i'm curious to see what kind of numbers that 6.4L will put when it makes its appearance

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's about time you figured out how to hook that thing up. How long has it been?! :)
LOL,

I installed it wrong, got nada, removed it, forgot about it, and just revisited it over the winter.

It would have been nice if someone like yourself helped me! JK :)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
1,729 Posts
I hooked it up right on my V1. ;) It actually didn't collect much oil at all but I guess it gave me a piece of mind. The LSA however, seems like it would benefit much more. I'll probably be installing one sometime this spring. Should I ask you for help?

BTW, is it really necessary to have that "STOP! Do not discard K&N filter"? Who do you think is going to throw it out? The catch can fairy? No wonder why you can't hit the 9's. :histeric:

·
Registered
2011 cts-v wagon
298 Posts
Great info. Thanks, i am ordering monday, just need one i guess? I know on Ford lightning application, you need one on each bank. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I hooked it up right on my V1. ;) It actually didn't collect much oil at all but I guess it gave me a piece of mind. The LSA however, seems like it would benefit much more. I'll probably be installing one sometime this spring. Should I ask you for help?

BTW, is it really necessary to have that "STOP! Do not discard K&N filter"? Who do you think is going to throw it out? The catch can fairy? No wonder why you can't hit the 9's. :histeric:
If you need it.
I'll remove if and see what happens. Should i do a base run before removing all stickers?

Great info. Thanks, i am ordering monday, just need one i guess? I know on Ford lightning application, you need one on each bank. Your thoughts?
You can purchase a duel can system like Saikou Michi Co. If you want to be 110% sure you never get any oil in the intake/supercharger, run a second non vented catch can in the line from the valve cover breather to the intake bellows. (the green line in the diagram above) But It is my understanding that running a single catch can from the valley cover to the intake will solve the majority of LS motors intake oiling issues.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
971 Posts
Oh yea, I completely forgot you had a 6.1L hemi. I gotta say i'm curious to see what kind of numbers that 6.4L will put when it makes its appearance

According to a current Mopar magazine that tested the new 6.4L, it ran a best of 12.38 sec. in the 1/4!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a picture of a brand new foul air tube outside the car. When installed it is bent into the shape of a "U".

I bought an extra one if I want to return the car to stock. LOL.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Curtis:
Looking forward to see how much oil accumulates.

Make sure you give us an update when you actually drain the can along with how much it collected over "X" amount of miles.

·
Premium Member
1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe
806 Posts
I hooked it up right on my V1. ;) It actually didn't collect much oil .. ....I'll probably be installing one ... .
BTW, necessary to have .... "STOP! Do not discard K&N filter"? Who is going to throw it out?
Every time I take it to Dealer Service.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curtis:
Looking forward to see how much oil accumulates.

Make sure you give us an update when you actually drain the can along with how much it collected over "X" amount of miles.
I will be sure to post. I too am looking forward to see how much is captured

1 - 16 of 16 Posts