Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade Luxury
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased it, 2011 49,xxx Miles, One owner New car trade in.

Now, 149,xxx Miles / Color Change to White Diamond Tricoat

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
50 Posts
Makes my overhaul look weak...

I thought plugs, plug wires, rear shocks, front/rear brakes, new engine and cabin filter, all new fluids, oil pan gasket and rear main seal, 2 new tires, complete detail inside/out and also the engine compartment was a lot, but you take the cake.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
Certainly don't mean to be negative at all but I know the ballpark of what a quality job like that costs... with you using a stock color why not trade for a truck with much lower miles and in that color for the same money (or possibly less?)

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Certainly don't mean to be negative at all but I know the ballpark of what a quality job like that costs... with you using a stock color why not trade for a truck with much lower miles and in that color for the same money (or possibly less?)
I was thinking the same thing. This looks like an enormous and horrendously expensive undertaking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2007 Escalade Luxury
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing negative taken gentlemen. Our family owns a body and mechanics shop. My wife wanted to change colors since we needed a complete re-paint due to the vehicle being in a hail storm. We had originally wanted a white escalade and had one bought, but the guy sold it out from under us after the deal was made. Ended up finding a great deal on this black one, so we purchased it. I love the black, but very difficult to keep clean. As for labor and materials, I am still out a few thousand with this thorough of a job. My cost on materials alone will be more than $2,000.

We recently rebuilt the rear end and replaced both front hubs as well as rebuilt the front differential. It has been making some lifter noise the last 5-10 thousand miles upon startup, then goes away shortly thereafter. We will pull the motor before we paint the rest of the vehicle and go all through it internally replacing all gaskets, bearings, cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, water pump, oil pump, timing chain etc.

I will be ordering most everything from Texas Speed. May elect to send heads to them for port/polish/mill/valve job and also put a set of longtube headers on it. Will be putting a new 3000 stall kit converter in as well. I would love to then throw on a catback exhaust and a supercharger, but will see where I end up budget wise. May have a "phase 2" after a few months that would include the charger and some new wheels. The stock wheels have been nothing but garbage as they won't hold a tight bead so air constantly leaks out of them. We wire wheeled the inner bead line and put bead sealer on them and they stopped leaking for several thousand miles, but I have one that has begun to leak again...grrr!

I have a '14 GMC Sierra crew loaded up that stickered for $55k. When I priced a new Escalade (ESV $91k, Denali (XL $74k), LTZ Tahoe ($68k) etc, I just couldn't talk myself into dropping that kind of cash. They have priced themselves out of the range that I call Reasonable. I will have far far less in this rig in comparison to a new one, so for now, I chose to go this route. Besides, who doesn't love a good project!

----------

Also considering the Arnott Coil Spring Conversion Kit w/EBM

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well I can respect that then, I thought you were paying a shop to do it which I'm guessing you'd charge a minimum of $8k for how detailed and high quality of a job this is! So now I get it :)

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
Wow, this is amazing!
Not many people actually take the time to do a job such as a color change the right way. THIS is the right way!
I can vouch for Texas Speed, they have gotten a fair bit from me over the years. Best gains to be had on any LSx for the money is in the head work.
If you want to go the blower route, check out the abundance of surplus CTS-V / Vette blowers on the market. GM issued a recall for the coupler being noisy and instead of replacing the coupler they replaced the entire lower blower. A new solid coupler kit is only $60 or so. Bottom half can be had for $300-600. Add $400 for the top hat intercooler, and you have the complete blower for under $1k. You would need the FEAD from a CTS-V but TSP can hook you up with that for around $1200. By the time you are done, you can have a factory fit and finish blower for under $3k tuned and out the door.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
Simply amazing. Did you drive it around town with it stripped down? That would have been hilarious..."Check out my Escalade!"

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wow, this is amazing!
Not many people actually take the time to do a job such as a color change the right way. THIS is the right way!
I can vouch for Texas Speed, they have gotten a fair bit from me over the years. Best gains to be had on any LSx for the money is in the head work.
If you want to go the blower route, check out the abundance of surplus CTS-V / Vette blowers on the market. GM issued a recall for the coupler being noisy and instead of replacing the coupler they replaced the entire lower blower. A new solid coupler kit is only $60 or so. Bottom half can be had for $300-600. Add $400 for the top hat intercooler, and you have the complete blower for under $1k. You would need the FEAD from a CTS-V but TSP can hook you up with that for around $1200. By the time you are done, you can have a factory fit and finish blower for under $3k tuned and out the door.
Bro you are an asset to this forum :)

·
Registered
Raven EXT
27 Posts
dsminva said:
Dsminva since the intake for the cts-v and corvette blower goes to the drivers side how does a guy clear the alternator on the escalade? I've been wanting to do this upgrade but not sure how to get around that issue and have not read any mention of it.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade Luxury
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dsminva since the intake for the cts-v and corvette blower goes to the drivers side how does a guy clear the alternator on the escalade? I've been wanting to do this upgrade but not sure how to get around that issue and have not read any mention of it.
Good Question.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade EXT
187 Posts
Yeah if you're in the auto body business then this is a job that you can do with little money. The $2000 in materials is nothing for a project like that. Good luck, can't wait to see more pictures.

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
I'm still waiting for my warranty to run out before I do this, but I was going to have an elbow fabbed up to reroute back to the stock airbox location. A 180 degree bend or so will put it back facing the right direction. I was quoted $200 for some stainless ductwork welded up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts