Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you tried programming a new remote to your 2009 CTS's? If so, I'm curious as to your successes and what did or didn't work in the programming process.

I have bought 2 remotes off of Ebay, both claimed to have the same FCC# as my original remote, but neither had the FCC# stamped on them, so I can't verify if that's true or not. I find it curious that neither remote had either an FCC# or GM part number on them anywhere! Could it be that these are aftermarket remotes? Wouldn't all genuine GM remotes have at least the GM part number on them?

Anyway, I tried following the programming ("learning") procedure as outlined in the owner's manual. I get to the point where the DIC tells me to insert the new remote into the slot in the console, but then nothing happens - I don't even know if the car knows that there's a new remote in there! What should happen? And how long should the programming process take?

thanks in advance!
clyde714

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
there are two different types of remotes and two different procedures for pairing them to the car. This is outlined in the owners manual. As far as the remotes not having part #'s or FCC specifications; I have three remotes for my10 and all of that information is inside the case.

·
Registered
Former owner 2008 CTS
228 Posts
If the new remote isn't recognized within a few seconds of putting it in the slot, it's probably not the right remote. I ordered one off ebay at one point and the first one they sent me looked right, but when I opened it up the insides were totally different. I worked with the merchant and was able to get the correct remote.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep , third time was the charm.... the third remote I ordered, this is. The first two wouldn't program; the third, it programmed within milliseconds. The first two didn't have the hidden key, nor did they have any markings at all as to GM part number or FCC number (I'm guessing they were aftermarket items?). The third came with the hidden key, and also had both the GM and FCC #'s stamped on the case end where the key is inserted.

So let the buyer beware, as I have learned. If you get the right part, it works like magic!

And yes, the sellers of the first two remotes took them back and promptly refunded my money. Those items likely were re-listed on Ebay the next day...

·
Registered
Former owner 2008 CTS
228 Posts
The only thing I could think of with my experience was that they sent the keyless entry fob (i.e. the one used when you need a key for the ignition), and not the keyless access system fob.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
99 Posts
Yep , third time was the charm.... the third remote I ordered, this is. The first two wouldn't program; the third, it programmed within milliseconds. The first two didn't have the hidden key, nor did they have any markings at all as to GM part number or FCC number (I'm guessing they were aftermarket items?). The third came with the hidden key, and also had both the GM and FCC #'s stamped on the case end where the key is inserted.

So let the buyer beware, as I have learned. If you get the right part, it works like magic!

And yes, the sellers of the first two remotes took them back and promptly refunded my money. Those items likely were re-listed on Ebay the next day...
i guess am going down the same road,, just got the fob i ordered from ebay for 09 ctsv and never happen to work,, the fob has no hidden mechanical key,,
now i have to order another one,, my question,, how to order the one that would work?
i have no other fob to lookup part and fcc numbers,,

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
By looking at the picture and inquiring of the seller, make sure you get the remote with the hidden key. I don't believe the numbers are that important as I have in the past, used remotes from different years. You just make certain that the new one you are buying matches the one you have or need for your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts