Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Program Key fob for Cadillac Deville 1997

24K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cadifan's srx 
#1 ·
These are the instructions im trying to follow but they are not well written can someone tell me that has done this why i cannot even get the one that does work to activate the confirmation so that I know im doing the procedure correctly

Digital Instrument Cluster

1. With the ignition in the "RUN" position (engine does not necessarily need to be running, but it will work either way).
2. Press OFF and WARMER (or the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons) on climate control panel simultaneously. Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) will light all telltales, then go blank. System is now in DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA?" is displayed, then press FAN UP. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA OVERRIDE?" is displayed, then press FAN UP button. When "NO OVRD RF S00" is displayed, press FAN UP button.
3. When "PGM FOB1 S01" is displayed, press WARMER button and "99" will be displayed in the left upper corner of the IPC, just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.
4. Press and hold TRUNK button on the transmitter. While holding TRUNK button, press LOCK button and hold for one second. Hold both buttons for a total of 3 seconds. Locks will cycle when programming is complete. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering "99" on the display, system will default and you must begin at step #2 again.
5. To program second transmitter, press FAN UP button until "PGM FOB2 S02" is displayed, then repeat steps #2 and #3.
6. To exit system, press RECIRC, or RESET button.

Now STEP FOUR!!!... wtf its all messed up.. do i release a button and or .. 1 seconds then total 3 so count backwards from 4....whaaaaaa??? The locks will never cycle.. and the remote IS indeed the correct one i need .. But im trying to get the #1 remote to cycle the locks and that wont work..

Is there anyone successful at this that can tell me exactly what to do? I bought the used #2 remote off ebay and the seller had a lot of positive reviews.. i may have gotten a dud.. but the fact i cant get my remote #1 to work tells me im doing the programing wrong... step 4 has the info messed up in it somehow..

See less See more
#2 ·
I think AUtozone has a thing you can aim your remote(s) towards to see if they are working.

Here are the steps as listed in the 1997 service manual for digital dash:

Before starting this procedure, BOTH transmitters must be present. Failure to program the transmitters to the proper numbers will render the RFA system inoperative. If the customer uses only one transmitter on the vehicle, use this transmitter as both transmitter 1 and 2. This is not the normal situation.)

1. Press OFF and Warm on climate control panel simultaneously. The IPS will light all telltales, go blank, and then enter diagnostic mode.
2. Press FAN Down to scroll through system until RFA? Is displayed, then press FAN UP.
3. Press FAN DOWN until RFA OVERRIDE is displayed, then press FAN UP.
4. NO OVRD RF S00 displayed, then press FAN UP.
5. When PGM FOB1 S01 is displayed, press WARM button, 99 will be displayed in left upper corner of IPC just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.
A. Press and hold the TRUNK button on the transmitter.
B. While holding TRUNK button press the LOCK button and hold for one second
C. Hold both buttons for a total of three seconds. Locks cycle when programming is complete.
D. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering 99 override display, system will default and you must start at step 5 to continue.
7. To program transmitter 2, press FAN UP. Display will show PGM FOB2 S02.
8. Follow steps 5 and 6 to program transmitter.
9. Press RECIRC or RESET to EXIT the system.

Synchronizing Transmitters
To synchronize transmitters, perform the following steps:
1. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.
2. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.
3. If the transmitter was our of synchronization, it will now function properly.Before starting this procedure, BOTH transmitters must be present. Failure to program the transmitters to the proper numbers will render the RFA system inoperative. If the customer uses only one transmitter on the vehicle, use this transmitter as both transmitter 1 and 2. This is not the normal situation.)

1. Press OFF and Warm on climate control panel simultaneously. The IPS will light all telltales, go blank, and then enter diagnostic mode.
2. Press FAN Down to scroll through system until RFA? Is displayed, then press FAN UP.
3. Press FAN DOWN until RFA OVERRIDE is displayed, then press FAN UP.
4. NO OVRD RF S00 displayed, then press FAN UP.
5. When PGM FOB1 S01 is displayed, press WARM button, 99 will be displayed in left upper corner of IPC just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.
A. Press and hold the TRUNK button on the transmitter.
B. While holding TRUNK button press the LOCK button and hold for one second
C. Hold both buttons for a total of three seconds. Locks cycle when programming is complete.
D. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering 99 override display, system will default and you must start at step 5 to continue.
7. To program transmitter 2, press FAN UP. Display will show PGM FOB2 S02.
8. Follow steps 5 and 6 to program transmitter.
9. Press RECIRC or RESET to EXIT the system.

Synchronizing Transmitters
To synchronize transmitters, perform the following steps:
1. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.
2. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.
3. If the transmitter was our of synchronization, it will now function properly.

DAVE
'97 Concours

#3 ·
Thanks dave for the fast responce i have to figure out if this is a good transmitter or not...

read steps a through c.. that is kinda vague... to me.. i never get step d to work..

hold for one second.. now three.. now bark like a dog.. boy your dumb.. thats some bad writing.. imgoing to have to keep working on this one..

#4 ·
Do you have more than one? If so, do any of them work? I assume it has a new battery. Have you taken it apart and removed anything that would be preventing contact between the rubber button and the printed circuit board? Mine get moisture from time to time and have to be cleaned. Also have had the solder joints work loose and need repair.
Good luck.

DAVE
'97 Concours

#6 ·
Do you have more than one? If so, do any of them work? I assume it has a new battery. Have you taken it apart and removed anything that would be preventing contact between the rubber button and the printed circuit board? Mine get moisture from time to time and have to be cleaned. Also have had the solder joints work loose and need repair.
Good luck.

DAVE
'97 Concours
Dave is this procedure the same on a 1998 Concours. I'm told 1998 is not the same. Thank you for your time

#5 ·
still working on it.. its cold here and i dont have a lot of time to sit in my car fiddling with this but i will post what the solution was when and if i find it. Ive swapped batteries and looking at the new remote it looks less used than the one i have and the inside looked ok.

#7 ·
90LDOE, Almost all of your recent posts have been replies to threads that have been dead for 8 - 12 years - and the members you quoted have not logged in for many years. Please look at the dates of threads you find to see if you can reasonably expect a reply. Thanks.

Reactions: MSBAF
#8 · (Edited)
These are the instructions im trying to follow but they are not well written can someone tell me that has done this why i cannot even get the one that does work to activate the confirmation so that I know im doing the procedure correctly

Digital Instrument Cluster

1. With the ignition in the "RUN" position (engine does not necessarily need to be running, but it will work either way).
2. Press OFF and WARMER (or the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons) on climate control panel simultaneously. Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) will light all telltales, then go blank. System is now in DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA?" is displayed, then press FAN UP. Press FAN DOWN button until "RFA OVERRIDE?" is displayed, then press FAN UP button. When "NO OVRD RF S00" is displayed, press FAN UP button.
3. When "PGM FOB1 S01" is displayed, press WARMER button and "99" will be displayed in the left upper corner of the IPC, just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.
4. Press and hold TRUNK button on the transmitter. While holding TRUNK button, press LOCK button and hold for one second. Hold both buttons for a total of 3 seconds. Locks will cycle when programming is complete. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after entering "99" on the display, system will default and you must begin at step #2 again.
5. To program second transmitter, press FAN UP button until "PGM FOB2 S02" is displayed, then repeat steps #2 and #3.
6. To exit system, press RECIRC, or RESET button.

Now STEP FOUR!!!... wtf its all messed up.. do i release a button and or .. 1 seconds then total 3 so count backwards from 4....whaaaaaa??? The locks will never cycle.. and the remote IS indeed the correct one i need .. But im trying to get the #1 remote to cycle the locks and that wont work..

Is there anyone successful at this that can tell me exactly what to do? I bought the used #2 remote off ebay and the seller had a lot of positive reviews.. i may have gotten a dud.. but the fact i cant get my remote #1 to work tells me im doing the programing wrong... step 4 has the info messed up in it somehow..
I just tried to follow the same instructions for my 98 Deville for my brand new replacement (No.1) fob. No luck! Nothing happened!
After more web searching I have found that these cars need to be programmed with an OBDII scan tool to recognise the new fob, can't be done without one.
I think programming with the digital dash is for pre '96 cars and you have to use a tech2 for '96 onward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.