Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SRX 2007/2008dts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 srx i have dropped the trans. pan cleaned the pan and replaced the filter. i found the fill hole put about 7 qts. in when it started
to come back out. now i thought i had read a thread that said that when it started coming out you were to start the engine and fill to it started
coming out again put the plug in and you were done. i am up to 9 qts. and am wondering if i missed read the thread? any help would be wonderfull
as i need to get it back on the road.
thanks larry

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
With engine running, fill until it runs out.

·
Registered
SRX 2007/2008dts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.
thats what i finally did i just did not expect it to take just under 10 qts.

thanks again larry

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
958 Posts
thanks for the reply.
thats what i finally did i just did not expect it to take just under 10 qts.

thanks again larry
Did you measure how much was drained with the pan/filter change? When I did my 07 3.6l w/5 sp. transmission, 4 1/2 qts. were drained. That's what I put back in.

As follow up one reference shows the 5L40's total capacity is 9.4 qts and the 6L50 is 12 qts. I don't know how you could put in 10 qts in either transmission with a pan drop.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Just checked the fill procedure for the 6 speed. The level check plug is on the bottom raised part of the pan. You can fiil through that with a small diameter hose or use the fill plug which is on the side of the case with the plug on a horizontal surface. Looks like the capacity is slightly more than a full pan. Better check that you haven't overfilled.

·
Registered
SRX 2007/2008dts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to glake89
so if i understand what your telling me you fill to it runs out the drain plug not the fill
hole on the side of the transmission? if that is the case i have over filled by at least 3 to 4 qts
please reply thank you very much.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
The "drain" plug is actually the fill plug. The plug in the transmission pan. You put fluid in until it runs out, then start the vehicle and add more fluid until it comes out of the hole, then let it warm up (you're actually supposed to get the transmission fluid temperature within a range but you have to have a scan tool to read that), and make sure its even with the top of the hole, and then put the plug back in. If you've filled it up elsewhere, you are definitely overfull. It should only take ~6.7 qts. to fill it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts