Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XLR
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for earlier posts on how to get into my XLR when the battery is dead and I could not get into the trunk, door, or open the hood. I have done all that.
I have a new battery, as of last fall, and hopefully I have not ruined it. I connected a trickle
charger, which I have done before. The alarm
starting going off, the lights
began flashing (all lights) and I had to unplug it. Any suggestions? I have done this before and it worked fine. Thank you for any feedback, I love this car!

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,660 Posts
montanalisa,

This isn't an easy problem to troubleshoot remotely.

I'm assuming the following, so correct me if I'm off-base. I've spent time in MT and assume you parked the vehicle in the Fall and after a long hibernation, have started the process of waking it up.

How was the car stored, electrically? What I mean, is did you park it in the Fall with the Battery Minder connected, or did you open the trunk and attach it recently? The easiest and preferred method is to park it with the hood unlatched, and the Battery Minder connected for the duration of the storage period. When it's time to start the car, the Battery Minder is disconnected and the car should fire right up. Alternatively, you can remove the battery, connect the Battery Minder and re-install it the day you want to drive, though it's more work.

Discharged or damaged batteries cause the XLR to go psychotic. If your battery was not connected through the Winter, it could be damaged, and no amount of charging will guarantee recovery. The XLR draws power 24/7 from the battery.

You can remove the battery and have an auto parts store load-test it.

CC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts