Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I have an 89 Seville I've been using as my college beater. I recently took it on a trip from LA to the Bay Area and had some major issues.

First, we were going up the grapevine (big hill, for non-californians) in 105 degree heat and in traffic. It overheated. Not a big surprise, so we stopped. It cools down a bit and we try to get going again and it won't start (when i say it doesn't start, it doesn't even try to crank or turn over. when the key was turned, there was something buzzing under the master cylinder but thats it.) We end up sitting on the side of the road (not fun) for about an hour. At some point we disconnected the battery. After an hour, it did finally start.

After a rough trip (more on that later), we got to a gas station about 100 miles away. Again, when finished it did not start. It was running hot but not rediculously so. Waited half an hour, it started, and actually ran pretty well.

The next day, we had to move it and i was going to give my friends a short ride. When picking them up, we turned it off outside their house and it... refused to start back up. Pattern continues... let it sit for about half an hour with battery disconnected and it would start.

It gave me no issues on the way home. The 'rough trip' i mentioned was strange because it seemed to be missing (which its never done before). It was running about 10-15 degrees hotter than normal (obviously without a/c), getting terrible gas mileage (about 15 freeway instead of the normal 22 or so), and was shuddering. It didn't do this again the rest of the trip or coming back and i'm not sure if its really that important, but I thought I'd mention it.

We figure that some relay (or maybe the starter itself) is getting shorted when it gets hot. However, the engine bay is a bit more complicateed than...say.. my mustang's, and I wouldn't know where to start guessing which relay it is. My dad also mentioned it sounds vaguely like an issue he had with a security system on my brother's 85 corvette, but we still don't really know where to go from there.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any help or guidance you could give would be appreciated. Also posted this in the seville section, so hopefully i'm not breaking any rules. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the novel of a post.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
Might be the solenoid. I have seen them refuse to start when hot. Apparently the contacts heat and expand, breaking contact, thus no crank. Cools down and contacts contract, make contact and vrooom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts