Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one for $5,500 with 40k miles and was wondering what to expect with these cars in the future. I know about the head gasket issues on these Northstars, but what else should I expect?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
Most problems with the N* begin around 100k miles so at 40k your good to go for a while

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
The half case on the N* motor is known to leak oil, and the TCC solenoid is known to go out in the trannys both things require the motor to be removed from the vehicle to repair

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Also ’96 is labeled as first year with OBDII but in reality is first year with some OBDII, ’97 is the first true OBDII year, some improvements to the stability system in '97 (with the addition of the yaw sensor and the ICCSII) so while ’96 has only speed sensitive suspension, ’97 is the first year with road sensitive suspension. Generally the differences between ’96 and ’97 are not as big as the ones between ’95 and ’96. But as far as 0-100 time is concerned ’96 is exactly like ‘95 one of the 6.5s years (see the chart bellow).
Problems wise other than the above mentioned:
- Rear knuckle bushings (after 120K, OEM are $$$, there are some cheaper aftermarket solutions)
- Struts (@~100K = the price of the car. No, aftermarket is not a good idea)
- Water pump (@~100K)
- Check the fuel lines (is the car affected by the recall, if so was the recall done)
- Wheel hub assemblies (expect to have issue after ~60K)
- Fuel pump is prone to failure at some point after ~60K (and is murder to replace)
- Dash pad warping (the defrost grille will pop up)
Last but not least, make sure you get a car OEM from bumper to bumper (no cold air intake, no “performance” ignition coils, aftermarket sound and other bling-bling stuff).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts