Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Deville, 1997,2004
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
size of bolt - torque converter to flexplate

Hello everyone it's been awhile since I have tried to tackle my problem due to a bad back and the feeling that I might never get it done ...but my enthusiasm had returned and I need to know if anyone knows off hand the size of the bolt on the flywheel to release the torque converter from the trans.on my 97 Deville .if u follow the post I sent I'm still stuck with trying to separate the block and trans.I see that I can just barely separate the two just enough to stick maybe I hope an open end wrench in between to release the 3 bolts just née to k ow the size or any helpful info ....thanks to all and keep ur caddy shining

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Re: size of bolt - torque converter to flexplate

:yeah: There are four bolts, and if you're lucky, one might be accessible through the starter hole. Might need an offset wrench though.

·
Registered
Deville, 1997,2004
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I want to say thanks to all that have replyed to my post u all have been a lot of help thank u everybody. ..now my question is now that I have gotten the motor separate from the tranny I'm still stuck with the issue that I now need to remove the torque converter from the block ...well I was able to remove on bolt but I have managed to strip two others ...now I'm scared to try the fourth for fear of stripping the last. can anyone offer any help I need this converter off the block .I will try and up load a few pictures so that would be more helpful with ur replyso

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The bolts are already destroyed. You could use whatever method now to remove the bolts, and then buy new bolts. Vise grips maybe?

·
Registered
2004 Deville
275 Posts
You strip them all the way? I have had issues with 12pt sockets slipping on the edges of the bolt. Find yourself a nice 6 point socket or wrench and it should help you out.

Also, you are talking about the flywheel to TC bolts, right? I think there are 4. I used a 18 wrench or whatever size it is and ground off one side of the wrench to make it slip through the access hole on the bottom of the engine. It worked out real slick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts