Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey;

Finally picked the car up today. I'm very, very impressed with it. A couple of things though (and i can't look them up because the owners manual didn't come with the car... dealer said he'd have one for me by the end of next week, because he had to order one)

First, i've noticed that usually when i first start the car, i can adjust the gauge brightness with the little adjustment by the sunroof control. that works great, but then suddenly while i'm driving, randomly (i think... i can't recall a specific button i press), the gauges (and subsequently the nav screen) will go to full brightness. i try playing with the brightness adjustment but it seems to have no effect whatsoever.

also two of the tire air pressure sensors are reading "- - -", instead of the number. the dealer said that's under warranty, and they'd replace it, no problem (unless there were signs that someone had 'tampered' with them. lol), but i was hoping to save a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I believe in your options through the DIC you can set whether it auto dims.

Try going through the recalibration procedure for the pressure sensors and see if they don't reappear. Procedure is at the FAQ. Also the FAQ should have the owners manual in .pdf.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah tried the recalibration in cadillacFAQ; no go :(

auto-dims, eh? yeah i thought it might have something to do with the lights... so are the gauges and NAV screen on full brightness during the day, and the "dimming" control only works when they're 'dimmed' (i.e. when the lights are on)?

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
It sounds like it's the sensor on the dash adjusting the brightness according to what it thinks it should be based on outside brightness.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok; cause i thought that once the lights were on (so the sensor sees it's dark enough to do that...) that i could adjust the brighness of the gauges/nav screen manually with the brightness control by the sunroof control.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH one more thing; a couple times when this happens, i'll look up at the rearview mirror, and the "passenger airbag" will be OFF... usually it's on, and i didn't disable it :-/

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
OH one more thing; a couple times when this happens, i'll look up at the rearview mirror, and the "passenger airbag" will be OFF... usually it's on, and i didn't disable it :-/

There is an a$$ sensor in the pass. seat. If someone is in it, it'll say ON, if someone isn't, it'll say OFF..

Now if it says ON while there is no one seating in it, then you have the invisible friend mod. :D

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK great; that i didn't know. cause i was getting so pissed.

now that makes a lot of sense. thanks.

damn, you guys really do know your stuff!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another question: the piece of weatherstripping that runs alongside the top of the windshield (between windshield and body) keeps coming loose. i got sick of it coming half off and beating on my roof when i'm doing 85 on the highway, so i ripped the whole thing off. would that be covered by warranty?

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
another question: the piece of weatherstripping that runs alongside the top of the windshield (between windshield and body) keeps coming loose. i got sick of it coming half off and beating on my roof when i'm doing 85 on the highway, so i ripped the whole thing off. would that be covered by warranty?
A known issue...

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
209 Posts
The brightness of displays is set on personal preferences, it will go to that setting determined by the key number. You have to read the manual and go in and set your preferences. It includes seat setting, stereo settings and display brightness settings.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I think his problem is different. Once the car sees daylight, it adjusts the dash and Nav accordingly by brightening them. If you're adjusting your dimmer switch in the garage, then pulling out then what you're describing is normal operation.

The dimmer switch only operates in the "night" mode.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't have ripped it off, but yes- it is covered under warranty.
i had no choice; it was that or drive home with my hand out of the sunroof holding it. or get the car towed, and i'll be damned if i'm going to tow a car because the weather stripping is coming loose :p

anyway it's not like i damaged it or anything. i could always put it back on when i go to the dealer

Tony - regarding your above post, I think that's what the problem was. I think the sensor thought it was night time (it was a really overcast day, could that be it?) and so it clicked it to daylight mode, and the gauges lit up 100% (along with the nav screen), and then a few minutes later they'd click back to night mode. *nods* that makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
by the way. i haven't yet, so i figured i should probably post some pictures of the car :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts