Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this problem for about 1 week now. All interior lights will stay on regardless if I turn the knob all the way to the off position and regardless if its night or day. I basically have to drive with all my interior lights on the whole time. When I turn the car off they eventually turn off after the defualt 10 minutes or whatever time it is where the car goes into safe mode.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
I have had this problem for about 1 week now. All interior lights will stay on regardless if I turn the knob all the way to the off position and regardless if its night or day. I basically have to drive with all my interior lights on the whole time. When I turn the car off they eventually turn off after the defualt 10 minutes or whatever time it is where the car goes into safe mode.
Knob? You mean the Headlight knob, or the interior slider?

The interior slider is what controls the interior lights (and guages), and there's no "off" position for it it's a slider

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AsAkAs said:
Knob? You mean the Headlight knob, or the interior slider?

The interior slider is what controls the interior lights (and guages), and there's no "off" position for it it's a slider
Yes the interior slider its crazy you see my driving around at night with all my interior lights on people think I am crazy even in the day time. My car is an 04.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
Yes the interior slider its crazy you see my driving around at night with all my interior lights on people think I am crazy even in the day time. My car is an 04.
A couple of people have had problems with it draining the battery when it was left on the last brightest notch, but not on. Sounds to me like the slider just broke (inside) and is stuck on the on position.

When you adjust the slider do your guages dim or no?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AsAkAs said:
A couple of people have had problems with it draining the battery when it was left on the last brightest notch, but not on. Sounds to me like the slider just broke (inside) and is stuck on the on position.

When you adjust the slider do your guages dim or no?
I know the slider didnt brake because at knight when I mod the slider my guagues get brighter and dimmer.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
I know the slider didnt brake because at knight when I mod the slider my guagues get brighter and dimmer.
Ahhh, hmmmmm. That is very strange :bonkers:

Did you check all the fuses? Maybe when the fuse blows the lights stay on as a precaution? lol You can try resetting everything in the car by disconnecting the battery for a while too, that might fix it if it's a software issue.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AsAkAs said:
Ahhh, hmmmmm. That is very strange :bonkers:

Did you check all the fuses? Maybe when the fuse blows the lights stay on as a precaution? lol You can try resetting everything in the car by disconnecting the battery for a while too, that might fix it if it's a software issue.
I have disconnected the battery for hours didnt fix the problem. Havent checked fuses though.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Haven't heard of it happening to one of ours, but my daughters car had a wire that was grounding on a screw and therefore the lights would only go off with the key turned to the off or the run down went into effect. The relay for those lights can also go bad and stay in the on position.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
There are so many permutations and combinations to the lighting controls that I sometimes have difficulty trying to figure out what is going on. In this area we do most driving in twilight conditions this time of year and the system can't seem to decide whether the DRL's should be on or the headlights. When you combine that with the foglight controls, the instrument slider losing control while the DRL's are on, and the jump in instrument lighting intensity when the switchover is taking place you seem to have something catching your attention out of the corner of your eye all the time. The instrument lighting comes and goes along with the DIC and the HVAC indicators. It's distracting.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,659 Posts
I've been nosing around through the GM shop manual, scoping out the interior lighting ckts. Just to get the symptoms straight, are ALL the interior (overhead, courtesy and vanity) always energized? Get back to me and we'll troubleshoot this. In the interim, there's a 10A lighting fuse you can pull so you don't have to drive around, looking like a squid (couldn't resist!)

Semper Gumby,

CC (ex-squid!)

Quick things to check:
1) Failed door switches (start w/driver's side 1st, since it gets exercised the most.)
2) Failed overhead console switch, stuck in the ON position. Disconnect and see if they go out.

The bottom line is, you've got 12 vdc constantly enabled on the lighting ckt. Items 1 & 2 both supply that voltage and a failure of either will give you the symptoms you describe. When you've eliminated #1 & 2, we'll look at relays.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just realized when I turn the car off my stereo turns off instead of waiting for me to open a door.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
I just realized when I turn the car off my stereo turns off instead of waiting for me to open a door.
Like cclarke said, sounds like a faulty door switch. Does the DIC say anything when you start up the car?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mbai2 said:
Like cclarke said, sounds like a faulty door switch. Does the DIC say anything when you start up the car?
The DIC doesnt say anything about door ajar.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This problem is killing me I took it to 2 Cadillac Dealers and they can't find the problem and tell me that they spent too much time with the car and it might be my aftermarket stereo. Not only are my interior li ghts on 90% of the time regardless of day or night but another problem I have is that all doors closed as soon as I turn off the ignition all po wer shuts down unlike before I was able to roll windows up and listen to music until I opened a door. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Where did you pull power for the aftermarket stereo?

The CTS lights are hooke dup weird and a power drain on the wrong circuit (the aftermarket radio) could cause weird things to happen.. Not saying that is the reason, but it helps to know the whole story...

So, Where did you hook up the aftermarket radio?
Any other aftermarket accessories?
Any other computer weirdness?
Radar detector?

lights go on regardless of whether it is dark outside or not, correct?
do your headlights also turn on?

There is a known issue with the overhead dimmer switch (see the tsbs) and it is more than just a switch, its a node on the class II network... So, all things being equal, I would ask a dealer to change that switch module and see if that fixes it...

Anyway, let us know the answers to your questions and I will do some diggin...

Reed

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ctsvett said:
Where did you pull power for the aftermarket stereo?

The CTS lights are hooke dup weird and a power drain on the wrong circuit (the aftermarket radio) could cause weird things to happen.. Not saying that is the reason, but it helps to know the whole story...

So, Where did you hook up the aftermarket radio?
Any other aftermarket accessories?
Any other computer weirdness?
Radar detector?

lights go on regardless of whether it is dark outside or not, correct?
do your headlights also turn on?

There is a known issue with the overhead dimmer switch (see the tsbs) and it is more than just a switch, its a node on the class II network... So, all things being equal, I would ask a dealer to change that switch module and see if that fixes it...

Anyway, let us know the answers to your questions and I will do some diggin...

Reed
Well my headlights work perfectly fine they go on when they are suppose to so my problem is not l inked to my headlights. I had the Radar Detector hardwired to the over head console li ke instructed in the CadillacFaq but I took that off to make sure that wasnt the problem. The after market radio is wired independently except for 1 wire to detect when the car is not so it can start automatically I have had the sound system for a long time before this problem occured. Before I would turn off my ingition then roll my windows up since I wouldnt loose power until I opened a door butnow as soon as the ingition goes to the off position I loose all power. I got soo tired of it that I just when in the fuse box in the back seat and removed the fuse for the interior l ight it kinda sucks sometimes at night though when I actually need the lights. I can't beleive 2 different Cadillac dealers couldn't fix it so they blamed my aftermarket parts since they couldn't find a solution. :thehand:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts