Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my impala ss steering box on. I line up the pitman arm with the threaded stud from the steering rack, go to put the castle nut on, get it halfway on and the threaded stud starts spinning. So I'm currently SOL. Anyone know what to do? Do I need to replace that threaded stud? If so, how would I do that?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What car? You'll have to put some pressure on the center link and/or hit it with an impact.
My Fleetwood brougham. I tried putting pressure on the center link then using a hand ratchet. I don't have an impact.
When you did you steering box, did you have this problem Sam?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Must use an impact gun. That's how its assembled. An air impact gun spins the nut faster than the tapered shaft can spin.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
They make battery powered impact guns. You can probably rent or leave a deposit at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Hit the pitman arm with a hammer to seat it in.

Its also likely the threads are a little bugered up.

Some neddle nose vice grips may also help.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Might wanna hit the center link, the pitman isn't really gonna move much since it's bolted to the steering shaft in the gear box. That idea should work though, try to hammer it into the seat. Maybe a c-clamp.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
Honkin' channel lock pliers work to push the parts together and apply friction from the stud to the pitman arm. Remove the nut, Thread it back and fourth progressively until the pieces bite.

Cursing optional.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I can't remember which pitman arm I used but there was one that went around the steering dampener and one that didn't. If you change from your current one, the alignment will change.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't remember which pitman arm I used but there was one that went around the steering dampener and one that didn't. If you change from your current one, the alignment will change.

http://s935.photobucket.com/user/csbuckn/media/_DSC0314-2.jpg.html
Might explain why I had to fight with putting the steering shaft on the spleen on the steering box (just a hair off, but enough I had to slightly reposition the box).
Since you replaced your center link, which would you recommend? I got the nut 3/4 past the top of the threads with an impact, but couldn't get it any further.
I figure I might as well replace it, since I don't feel like driving it like that (with the castle nut not fully/ properly seated). Anything else I should replace (bushings on it are newer- 2012)

----------

Also, looking at them on rock auto, moog has one that is listed "for armored body". Does anyone know what that means? I.e. will it still fit my car?

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I think the armor body ones have bigger joints and won't work, not 100% though. I don't have a preference of center links, I usually just buy the best value.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts