Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1 small problem though. After I shut the engine off the detector will turn off after a while BUT I have the Viper remote start alarm on my car and after like 5 minutes I guess the wire I am pulling power from is the one for the dome lights and my Alarm keeps going off thinking someone opened my door since the radar is pulling power. making the alarm think so meone opened the door. Does anyone have a solution to this? :hide:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Some possibilites, none which you'll like.

1. Unplug the detector
2. install a small bump switch on the pod where your connections are to turn the detector on/off.
3. Remove the Viper and use another system.

I'd probably look at #2
Maybe PM Tomm the detector expert.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Simple solution... Turn off the detector before you leave the car.

Also, Check with your installer to see how he wired the door sensors since it sounds it might have been done wrong. The triggers should be connected to the positive dome light wire and the alarm should only go off if it senses the +12v on the trigger line (Light getting power and turning on)

Your radar detector should not have any effect to this. Some other (Mostly cheaper alarms) have a voltage sensor which triggers when there is a voltage change. For example opening a trunk and your truck light goes on etc. In a properly installed alarm there should be push pins installed in the trunk and hood area so there should be no need for any voltage sensing. Also with our cars onstar goes on and off every 20 minutes so this could also trigger an alarm if they are using voltage sensing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
According to Cadillac, ANY aftermarket electrical equipment requires its own SEPARATE power source. Sorry, you'll just have to put in another battery for this.

JET

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
J.E.T. said:
According to Cadillac, ANY aftermarket electrical equipment requires its own SEPARATE power source. Sorry, you'll just have to put in another battery for this.

JET
JET... I think everyone is aware of your electrical issues so you dont have to keep bringing it up on every post that you get a chance. Just trade the CTS and move on already.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry tomm but I'm gonna be around 'til the whole sordid thing is settled. If you don't like it.........tough. Everyone who owns one of these models needs to be aware of what can (and will) happen if they have some type of trouble down the road. OK?

JET

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Sorry tomm but I'm gonna be around 'til the whole sordid thing is settled. If you don't like it.........tough. Everyone who owns one of these models needs to be aware of what can (and will) happen if they have some type of trouble down the road. OK?
JET
Careful JET...we know where you live.:cool2:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tomm said:
Simple solution... Turn off the detector before you leave the car.

Also, Check with your installer to see how he wired the door sensors since it sounds it might have been done wrong. The triggers should be connected to the positive dome light wire and the alarm should only go off if it senses the +12v on the trigger line (Light getting power and turning on)

Your radar detector should not have any effect to this. Some other (Mostly cheaper alarms) have a voltage sensor which triggers when there is a voltage change. For example opening a trunk and your truck light goes on etc. In a properly installed alarm there should be push pins installed in the trunk and hood area so there should be no need for any voltage sensing. Also with our cars onstar goes on and off every 20 minutes so this could also trigger an alarm if they are using voltage sensing.
I turn off the Detector every time I get leave my car but the problem is sometimes I forget and my alarm goes off at Midnight and wakes up half the neighbors. Tomm your right the alarm goes off when it detect a power change in the Detector so where my parking spot is the radar detector picks up a radar and triggers the alarm. I figured there was not a simple solution. Thanks anyway guys.

BTW My Rev Limiter trigger at 135mph I tested it when I went to Vegas this weekend so I had to cruise at 130mph

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
I turn off the Detector every time I get leave my car but the problem is sometimes I forget and my alarm goes off at Midnight and wakes up half the neighbors. Tomm your right the alarm goes off when it detect a power change in the Detector so where my parking spot is the radar detector picks up a radar and triggers the alarm. I figured there was not a simple solution. Thanks anyway guys.

BTW My Rev Limiter trigger at 135mph I tested it when I went to Vegas this weekend so I had to cruise at 130mph
I doubt your radar detector is picking up a signal which is triggering your alarm. My best guess would be that the radar detector is still in the factory "Smart Power" mode in which the radar detector senses that the car is turned off and lowers its power consumption to save battery power. It also will turn itself off after 30 minutes of sitting in Smart Power and most likely when it shuts off its triggering the alarm.

You can turn "Smart Power" off in the settings and that would keep the detector powered constantly but it draws so little power that you should not have any problem with battery consumption. I leave my detector on and I never turn it off and I have not had any issues.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
Under the back seat is a fuse box, take a test light and see which fuse (one that powers some non important item) you tourns off with the ignition key. Run your power to that one and your home free. I have my handsfree cell phone kit hokked up to the fuse box under the rear seat works perfect turns off when you shut the car down unless your on a call.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts