Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this car for about a week now, and it is having an intermittent issue with the DRL. When I turn off the car, sometimes the DRL go off and sometimes they stay on. When they stay on, I have to fumble around with the light knob, turn the car off and on, etc... I have managed to get them off each time, but I'm worried that soon they will not go off and drain my battery.

Is this a common problem, and what should I do? Thanks!

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Go to the link I provided and read what's there. Should be simple enough.

Codes are basically ways for your car's onboard computers to report problems it detects within the car. That's why your service engine light comes on. And our cadillacs are fitted with an OnBoard Diagnostic tool, OBD-I and OBD-II (OBD-II for yours). This saves us money as it allows us to identify problems without taking them to the dealership and spending $$$ just for an inspection.

If your car is pulling codes, post them here and you'll get advice on what to do. And if no codes are displayed, I'm sure someone will still be able to help you. Our cars are almost a decade old. I can't imagine someone having a 'new' problem that has never been experienced before. At least, not very often..

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
There are several functions involved with "pulling codes" that are not obvious or intuitive. GM does not want the general public fooling with the OnBoardDiagnostics-II (OBD-II) and creating all sorts of hysteria because "My car is setting codes !!!" would be the order of the day in every service lane.

Two immediate problems arise if you pull your codes and then clear them all:
1. The car is not ready for a GM dealer diagnostic test.
2. The system needs a couple of weeks to settle and present a "Ready" signal to an emissions test station. Clear codes, go to the station, the car fails emissions. More dealer problems.

Go to Cadillac Technical Discussion, Technical Tips, and read the sticky thread concerning later code work - the link you want has "obd-2" in the URL. practice, and then scroll down the link to find the page which lists every DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) for OBD-II protocol - there are hundreds of them.

Don't clear your codes - write them down and check every 3 weeks. That will give you a history of what your car is doing. Codes have 2 designators: Current or History. Note which is set. A code stays C for 3 start-run cycles after the fault occurs, and goes to H if the fault does not occur during those 3 cycles. A code disappears after 40 (there are other numbers) cycles in which the fault does not occur. Some MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) or SES (Service Engine Soon) lights will self-clear if the fault is transient. If the fault persists, you must fix the problem set as a code. ("Martha, take the car to the dealer - the damn engine light is on again.")

Is your car fitted with Twilight Sentinel and Handsfree lighting? If so, and the slider is to the right, the lights will stay on for some period up to 30 seconds, after you lock the car. There is a DRL fuse in the underhood box. It protects the DRL relay, so if you pull the fuse, no DRL, but all lighting works normally. Diagram on the underside of the fuse box cover.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it has those lights and they are turned off. I've let the car sit for like 10 mins before to see if the DRL will go off and they don't. Again, this is only an intermittent problem.

·
Administrator
71,006 Posts
OK........Find the fuse box or wiring diagram for your car. Pull the DRL fuse or relay and disable them. Why burn up 2005 headlight (high beam) bulbs anyway ??

There's a big website about DRL's and how to disable them - Google.

Dudley, Go on eBay and find a Helm/GM Factory Service Manual for your car. Chilton's or Haynes are far too generic. OR, subscribe your car for 3 years to www.alldatadiy.com - more info than you'll ever be able to absorb, but a great service manual and troubleshoot reference.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
There is also a software approach to turning off the DRL without pulling fuses, just deactivate the function on the IPC. Is posted here somewhere, is IPC overrides Option C (subtract 32 from the current value). If you figured out how to program those darm VCRs back in the late 80's then you should be able to deactivate your DRL as well.
Now about shutting down, as you probably know there is a delay (that can be adjusted) from the sliding knob on the headlight control module: all the way left is OFF and all the way right is about 3-5 minutes and anything in between (depending on the slider). Now that sliding knob is a variable resistor, chances are that the headlight switch is getting tired. Very easy to replace, just pull vigorously on the big round knob that turn the headlights on (when pulled) and adjust the interior lights intensity (when turned). The whole module will come out of the dashboard with a harness attached. Unplug the connector in the back and connect to the new module. Then push the module into the dashboard and problem solved.
Now your car is getting close to 10 year, around this age a fairly common issue occurs, the corrosion of the pins on the microrelay pins (the ones located in the engine bay on the driver’s side inner fender, under that big plastic panel housing the fuse cover and located between the left strut tower (in front) and up to the windshield washer tank).
Although that will prevent the lights to turn on rather than off, is a good idea to check the relay pins (the 6 relays mounted in two rows of 3). You might experience a sticky relay situation. Check the sticker (on the underside of the plastic panel) and locate witch relay is what. Some relays have 4 pins and some have 5. Any relay can be swapped as long as it has the same number of pins. Also the 4 pins relays can be mounted in any position (will work) the 5 pins relay will only work in ONE position so check where the socket has contacts, the contacts should match the pins.
Here is your electrical diagram (part of it).

Should be good for all ’96 and newer Eldorado and ‘96-’97 Seville.

As you can see you should start by checking the control voltage for the DRL relay.

By the way any aftermarket Stereo?

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is also a software approach to turning off the DRL without pulling fuses, just deactivate the function on the IPC. Is posted here somewhere, is IPC overrides Option C (subtract 32 from the current value). If you figured out how to program those darm VCRs back in the late 80's then you should be able to deactivate your DRL as well.
Now about shutting down, as you probably know there is a delay (that can be adjusted) from the sliding knob on the headlight control module: all the way left is OFF and all the way right is about 3-5 minutes and anything in between (depending on the slider). Now that sliding knob is a variable resistor, chances are that the headlight switch is getting tired. Very easy to replace, just pull vigorously on the big round knob that turn the headlights on (when pulled) and adjust the interior lights intensity (when turned). The whole module will come out of the dashboard with a harness attached. Unplug the connector in the back and connect to the new module. Then push the module into the dashboard and problem solved.
Now your car is getting close to 10 year, around this age a fairly common issue occurs, the corrosion of the pins on the microrelay pins (the ones located in the engine bay on the driver’s side inner fender, under that big plastic panel housing the fuse cover and located between the left strut tower (in front) and up to the windshield washer tank).
Although that will prevent the lights to turn on rather than off, is a good idea to check the relay pins (the 6 relays mounted in two rows of 3). You might experience a sticky relay situation. Check the sticker (on the underside of the plastic panel) and locate witch relay is what. Some relays have 4 pins and some have 5. Any relay can be swapped as long as it has the same number of pins. Also the 4 pins relays can be mounted in any position (will work) the 5 pins relay will only work in ONE position so check where the socket has contacts, the contacts should match the pins.
Here is your electrical diagram (part of it).

Should be good for all ’96 and newer Eldorado and ‘96-’97 Seville.

As you can see you should start by checking the control voltage for the DRL relay.

By the way any aftermarket Stereo?
I followed the instruction of the codes and I subtracted 32 from my original number which was 32, so hopefully I don't have that problem anymore.

I still have the factory cassette player but I am going to put in a cd player sometime this week.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled all my codes yesterday. I had about 8 or so come up, all of them history. Does that mean I shouldn't worry about those issues?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Well you just had hidden the problem by deactivating the DRL. As for that CD player, unless you want to have more issues like this (with car alarm, lights, RFA, drained battery) go ahead and replace with aftermarket (this is why I asked you about the aftermarket stereo, is the kind of problems you will face with one). Save your aftermarket stuff money and buy an OEM CD changer with less than $100. Can play 12 disks and it was designed for the car and your sound system (not to mention is a plug and play you have everything but the CD changer and bracket in the car). Your stereo is part of the car data bus, it was designed to work with the steering wheel controls, memory settings etc.
If you have BOSE sound system the aftermarket will cause unimaginable issues (speakers, wires, etc. - trust me will be expensive and worthless). But since is a '00 with no CD it must be non-BOSE.
You want to listen to your I-Pod, phone, portable GPS etc., I have posted exact details how with less than $80 (for BOSE) or $15 (for base) you can build your own AUX input adapter (hard wired CD quality – no compromise).

What were the codes?

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Wait, What??? AUX Port?? Could you post a link? The best I can do is a little FM transmitter... which really isn't that great...

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is an OEM cd changer and where do I get one?

I don't have the BOSE system, just the factory sound system with cassette deck. So you don't think I should put an aftermarket stereo in there? I was actually thinking about putting new speakers in as well. Will that also give me problems will other car issues?

I want an ipod aux input but I also want a cd player...what do you suggest I do?

Oh and I'll give you the codes tomorrow (don't have them with me at work right now)

Thanks for you help!

·
Administrator
71,006 Posts
OEM: a part or unit installed as Original Equipment Manufacture.

Remember that your original sound system head unit may be part of the vehicle theft and security system. If so, you can't just replace it. There are hoops to jump through in order to prevent theft problems and serial data transmission problems. Snoop around down in Cadillac Technical Discussion, Audio/Security.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I talked to the guy from the store who was going to install my new head unit (which is a good store, not best buy or anything), and he said as long as they order the actual GM wiring harness everything electrical would remain intact (as opposed to getting a harness made by a cheaper knock off brand).

Should I still be skeptical?

·
Administrator
71,006 Posts
If a professional installer is dong the change you should have nothing to worry about. You'll have a shop and a human being to rely on if difficulties arise.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If a professional installer is dong the change you should have nothing to worry about. You'll have a shop and a human being to rely on if difficulties arise.
So you think I should go ahead and do it?

Sorry just skeptical based on what everyone says about aftermarket on here, I just want as few problems with this car as possible.

·
Administrator
71,006 Posts
This one's a coin toss: There are success stories and horror stories in the aftermarket sound archives. About 50/50. Your call. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts