Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 sts w/ BOSE.

I use the stock speakers for the highs, and installed two mono 800 watt Kenwood Amps, each powering a 4ohm 1000 Watt Max MTX sub in a Sealed Box
I also have a one farad lighting capictor.

I spliced into the bose system right from the Rear Deck speakers, from the output side of the small amps.

I then went to a Line converter, to get RCA out for the amps.

The PROBLEM is the bass IS WAY WEAK!!!!

I mean I have a buddy w/ a 400 watt two channel amp powering two crappy 4 ohm Subs in an 86 Grand Marquis and he blows me away.

HELP!?! Some songs it doesn't even seem like the subs are hitting at all, I've checked the wiring. The Bass Boost is at max 12db, and the bass on the bose headunit is about 1/3rd of the way up, any more then that and the bose speakers start to distort.

One Last thing then I'll leave everyone alone, When I turn the Headunit up past the half way point of full volume, I could swear the bass starts dropping! and only the trebble increasing.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its the factory head unit, the bose system has not been changed

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bose Help

The only problem I can imagine you might be expeirencing is an over amplification problem. Because you tapped into the speaker cable after the Bose amp your amps are reciving a signal that may have been boosted too much for your amps to process. Give them a calm signal and let them do the amplifing. Try tapping into the speaker wire long before it receives any aditional amplification. Follow the speaker lead to its originating source but do not use any wires from the back of the head unit. The Bose system is complex but you should be able to bump with the right configuration. If you still can't get it you may need to spring for an aftermarket head unit.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Bose Help

Thanks I'll Try that out and see if there's an improvement

·
Registered
7 Posts
TimPic said:
I have a 97 sts w/ BOSE.

HELP!?! Some songs it doesn't even seem like the subs are hitting at all, I've checked the wiring. The Bass Boost is at max 12db, and the bass on the bose headunit is about 1/3rd of the way up, any more then that and the bose speakers start to distort.

One Last thing then I'll leave everyone alone, When I turn the Headunit up past the half way point of full volume, I could swear the bass starts dropping! and only the trebble increasing.
Funny you should mention this...
I am working on a new Escalade w/bose to add a sub and have the same results. No the bass is not dropping on you, it is staying constant from the lowest volume setting and as you turn up the sound, the apparent level of the subs diminishes.

I have abandoned trying to get a useable signal behind the deck with a line out converter. What we will have to try next on this vehicle is to go directly to a woofer speaker leads (after the amplifier unit) to pick up signal for the LOC. I have used that techinique on numerous OEM systems, bose and others. I am hoping it will work on this one.
This is fairly easy on systems with a mono sub mounted in the rear deck...more of a pain in the butt if they "sub" are just 4" bose drivers in an amplifed door mounted enclosure.

hope it helps... BigJohnnyC

·
Registered
7 Posts
BigJohnnyC said:
Funny you should mention this...
I am working on a new Escalade w/bose to add a sub and have the same results. No the bass is not dropping on you, it is staying constant from the lowest volume setting and as you turn up the sound, the apparent level of the subs diminishes.

I have abandoned trying to get a useable signal behind the deck with a line out converter. >>EDIT<<<<
THIS MAY HELP US BOTH:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/oem1.htm#c2agm24

this addresses the problem you and I are both having.

Later Gator... BigJohnnyC

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you say makes sense,

But I wouldn't have the slighest Idea of what to slip into to get that signal.

Most Car Audio shoips by me, tell me you have to remove the bose, and go after market if you want to upgrade

·
Registered
7 Posts
TimPic said:
What you say makes sense,

But I wouldn't have the slighest Idea of what to slip into to get that signal.

Most Car Audio shoips by me, tell me you have to remove the bose, and go after market if you want to upgrade
You are correct; most stereo shops will tell you that the bose has to go!
Over the years everyone has attempted to interface bose systems in everything from Maximas to Corverttes with varying degrees of success. Swapping the headunit almost always ended with a weak output and serious engine noise (high pitched whine). You couldnt replace individual bose speakers because their impedance is around 1 Ohm; aftermarket 4 Ohm speakers gave improper loads on the amplifiers. So after many hours of beating our heads against the wall, most shops have adopted the remove/replace attitude, knowing full well that the results of interfacing simply did not satisfy our customers.

I have ordred the interface that was listed in that hyperlink. After we install it in our customer's Escalade, I will post here and let you know how it worked out.

"No Highs - No Lows.... Must Be Bose", or so the saying goes ;)

later - BigJohnnyC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem here I have a 99 SLS I took a LOC and disconnected the sub from the rear deck and used that feed. Thing is i got nothing no bass so i left it like that a connected the OEM sub back and what do you know now my new subs are hitting. while radio is still on I disconnect the OEM and my sub are still hitting. But problem is when i cut the radio off then back on my subs dont work
but as soon as i put OEM sub back they work. So dont know if the bose has a feature that detects the oem sub or what. So basically can keep hooking that sub back up everytime i get out of car Decided to tap in to the signal before it hits the amp at the C1 connector on the amp. Then I run into the problem you guys have the BASS stays constant no matter if I turn volume up or down stays the same. Guess next thing to do is try that Link above for their LOC. If you guys get yours before mine or vise versa please leave some info on how it worked thanx.

One oher thing I beleive you guys have BOSE systems well im assuming since my radio doesnt say BOSE on it then I dont have a bose system. But i have same problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
Playdrv4me