Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
cts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my car starting. I used to have this issue about a few times a year, but it has come up more frequently.

I am pretty sure that it is not a battery issue. When I turn the ignition nothing happens at all. In the past when this happened, usually if I wait about 1/2 to an hour and do nothing to the car, I can start it up again.

2 times ago when this happened, I just took the key out, locked and unlocked the doors, then started it. But I held the key forward in the ignition for a couple seconds until it 'caught' and started.

Today was the worst. After not starting, I tried to do a variety of starting techniques, basically just unlocking and locking the car. using my spare set of keys but it would not start. Then after about 1 1/2 hours of trying, I exited and locked my car. Returned about 15 minutes later but opened the PASSENGER side door and tried to start it from the passenger seat. This time it started.

I am not sure if this is a computer issue? Or if the fact that I unlocked the car and entered from the PASSENGER side (without opening the driver side door at all) is what allowed the car to start?

I do know that in one of the instances that I could not start the car, the first time I did try to start it I had opened and entered the PASSENGER side and tried to start it from there, but it did not start. But after about 15 minutes I could start it from the DRIVER side.

Don't think its a starter issue. I would think that if it were a Relay fuse issue, it would not work at all, if the fuse were blown.

Any ideas what this could be? maybe an ignition switch problem? Maybe worn key or key chip issue?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,815 Posts
It's not going to be the key fob issue, that's simply a remote and won't cause this kind of stuff. But that could be the case if this was a second gen CTS where the fob actually allows/dis-allows the car to start.

I honestly don't think which door you enter makes any difference either.

Can you define "nothing happens". Does absolutely nothing happens, or do the dash board, radio and such light up as normal but the engine won't turn over/start? Answer that, and we can go from there.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
your car reminds me of the secret draw in fred sanfords house. How do you come up with this stuff ? Based on what you've said I think your ignition is going, your jiggling, and antics points to this direction. This in addition to the known issues with GM ignitians. Have you had your recall work done ? I would bring it in, point it out as a recall issue and demand a replacement. you will probabaly get it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts